Quins v Leicester - 23rd April 2022 KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins v Leicester - 23rd April 2022 KO 15:00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:58 pm So if my maths are right we're 9 points ahead of 3rd with 3 games to go, 4th cannot catch us. Quins (if they beat Exteter, Glaws & Saints with a TBP) can only get 15 points, so if we get 6 points out of our final 2 games that's a home semifinal. For me that's something we should definitely achieve.

We also have 2 other competitions we are still fighting in so we're in a good place
We have 3 games to go.. Home against Bristol and Wasps and then away to Newcastle
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Given how many first choice players were missing from the start, at least 8 in my view, and how close the game was, I think I know who will feel more confident going forward. However, given we would now almost certainly have secured a home semi final if Montoya, refell, steward and genge had started, it could still be a gamble. That said, the only semi game I really want to avoid is away on lino to sarries and I can't see that happening
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:58 pm So if my maths are right we're 9 points ahead of 3rd with 3 games to go, 4th cannot catch us. Quins (if they beat Exteter, Glaws & Saints with a TBP) can only get 15 points, so if we get 6 points out of our final 2 games that's a home semifinal. For me that's something we should definitely achieve.

We also have 2 other competitions we are still fighting in so we're in a good place
The key to Quins run in that those are the 3 sides all pushing for 4th spot so all to play for. I can see Friday night at the gardens being an absolute snorter
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Downsouth wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:07 pm Given how many first choice players were missing from the start, at least 8 in my view, and how close the game was, I think I know who will feel more confident going forward. However, given we would now almost certainly have secured a home semi final if Montoya, refell, steward and genge had started, it could still be a gamble. That said, the only semi game I really want to avoid is away on lino to sarries and I can't see that happening
Agreed. For that to happen Quins have to leapfrog to the top of the pile and we’d have to drop to 3rd.. Quins have to play away to Exeter and Saints and home to Glos and we would have to fail to pick up 6 points from our remaining 15 available and we are away to Newcastle and home to Bristol and Wasps.. I am fairly confident that scenario won’t happen.. never say never though!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Really proud of the team and as the Quins fans near me said, “ Well Steve Borthwick has built one heck of a squad but Europe could take its toll!”
As others have said, Tigers pushed a full strength Quins all the way despite Ford again kicking poorly and Marcus Smith showed why he is now England’s first choice fly half.
We missed 2-3 in the first half chances with the rolling maul where we missed the 4-5 players either on the bench, suspended or injured.
Really believe that whatever Steve Borthwick thinks is his “best” starting fifteen should play v Bristol then IF we can get a good lead bring players off. Wasps at home is certainly not a game to take for granted and Newcastle is a team that can on their day produce great results.
If we cannot win the Premiership then I really do hope Quins do: their fans young and old are superb: always have been.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Six points needed from two home games and one away game. So One win and two bonus points sufficient. I'd be happy with Saints getting fourth
TheUnknown

Post by TheUnknown »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:25 pm
TheUnknown wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:54 pm Unfortunately, our performances against Sarries and Quins is now a real concern for the Play-offs. It would be such a shame not to go all the way after such a strong season. Both of them look significantly better then ourselves at the moment.
I’m sorry but we beat Sarries at home and lost on their plastic carpet with a weakened side. Today was a reverse of the game at MWWR a narrow win for the home side.
They near as dam it had their best 23 out today, possibly missing Green and Kenningham.
We for a variety of reasons were missing Montoya, Reffell, Chessum, Martin, JVP, Kelly, Porter, Steward.

Not sure how you back up your last sentence
I get what you are trying to say. However, to win the playoffs we will need to beat one of them or maybe both. We have lost both of the last games with them. It just seems the team seems to be losing somewhat of it's momentum. If the Semi's were to be played tomorrow, we probably wouldn't make it.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

If the semis were played tomorrow, we'd put a full side out!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Finish top of the league, what happens after is of little interest to me, the play off argument re England players is flawed as with the amount of rest built in they miss games outside of the International windows as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:30 am If the semis were played tomorrow, we'd put a full side out!
This :smt027
Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Bobmac »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:22 pm On his day, Ford can be world-class but he certainly wasn't today. I would love someone with time on their hands to provide Ford's off the tee stats from when he returned from the 6N's. I would be surprised if he is much more than 70% which is not good enough for a "world-class" player in his position.
seems his kicking has been off since his ankle injury at Exeter, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Ford seems really slow on conversions, and is almost getting charged down. Seems like he has to rush the last bit to avoid the defending player.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ads wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:53 am Ford seems really slow on conversions, and is almost getting charged down. Seems like he has to rush the last bit to avoid the defending player.
Opposition have spotted that and are targeting him at conversion time.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:46 am
ads wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:30 am If the semis were played tomorrow, we'd put a full side out!
I find it curious that SB has chosen reduced strength sides for big games against close competitors. Yesterday and home and away v Sarries. We did play Sarries in the international windows, but still went with a lot of youth. It means we (and the pundits, though it won’t stop them from trying) can draw few valuable conclusions from the results and performances. Beyond the fact that our weakened sides are still hard to put away, of course.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

loretta wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:56 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:46 am
I find it curious that SB has chosen reduced strength sides for big games against close competitors. Yesterday and home and away v Sarries. We did play Sarries in the international windows, but still went with a lot of youth. It means we (and the pundits, though it won’t stop them from trying) can draw few valuable conclusions from the results and performances. Beyond the fact that our weakened sides are still hard to put away, of course.
Nail on head I think Loretta. It’s the bigger picture learning about players. Quins fans must have looked at our starting line up yesterday and thought sure fire 5 pointer. All the comments I have heard and even Ugo mentioned it was what a squad has been developed