LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:12 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:55 pm Watson is world class but even factoring in Watson's injuries and Kobus tearing it up with the Canes before signing we won't get Watson for what Kobus is on. That said I hope Watson signs.
I wouldn't rule it out, just look at the Bristol issues with offloading players and cap reductions.

Bath are in a position where they need their expensive players to be value for money. With a reducing cap can they afford much cap space on a guy who's barely played. It may be a vast reduction of salary they're offering.

Let's then look at his options, he may be able to go abroad and earn a fair bit, but let's say he is more focused on getting back in the England squad, to do that it means playing in England. However he can't be marquee anywhere else so other club have to fit him in their cap, how many clubs would be willing to pay too much for him based on injury, plus England losses, not many, most have cuts to make and a lot have relatively speaking cheaper options who they may prefer.

Kobus though was signed as a top try scoring winger to replace Veainu at short notice (we know he was signed at short notice as he discussed it, so I sort of assume Nadolo signed as May's replacement, Murimurivalu as Holmes, then we payed a premium to get Kobus to replace Veainu at short notice.

Not saying Watson may not be a cost increase vs Van Wyk, but wouldn’t think they're miles apart in cost.
In the main I agree. I'd have thought van Wyk would have plenty of offers for decent money, probably not Watson levels of money but the gap between the two not a large distance apart when you consider the market for an England international winger with a long term injury won't be great in the current circumstances.

Watson has bare played this season with just 2 games for Bath. He managed 12 last season in a Lions year (11 for Lions and England), 12 the year before (along with 11 for England), season before that just 3 due to another injury but the season before that 16 games for Bath and 14 the season before that.

Outside the two nasty injuries he's wracked up an alright number of games alongside his international appearances.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Postiger2 »

In Aled we trust. If the medical team think they can work with him, then he's an incredible talent who I'd love to see in the green, red and white.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

A proper fitness coach, and top quality nutritional supplements, USA GMP based facilities, not manufactured to food standards as are all EU/UK ''vitamins'' make an incredible difference to players internals. and recovery. As witnessed in a top Premiership fooball team resurgance.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Cronin will retire at the end of the season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:57 pm Cronin will retire at the end of the season.
Think it's Sean Cronin (Hooker) who's retiring at the end of this season, we've been linked with James Cronin (LH Prop)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yep

Also every time I see Agbongbon he’s looking bigger/in better condition.

I’m excited to see how he will be after a full preseason.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:07 pm Yep

Also every time I see Agbongbon he’s looking bigger/in better condition.

I’m excited to see how he will be after a full preseason.
Agree, his first outing in the PRC he looked like he needed to do some filling out, now he's looking a real unit
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... e-dragons/

Very interesting! If available, Holmes would be available all season long.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

happywomble wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:51 pm https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... e-dragons/

Snap him up I’d say.. perfect player to rotate with Steward for the 15 jersey and if Watson comes in too I’d say we are well set. Still need a replacement for Ellis but otherwise I’d say it’s shaping up nicely
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:02 pm
happywomble wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:51 pm https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... e-dragons/

Snap him up I’d say.. perfect player to rotate with Steward for the 15 jersey and if Watson comes in too I’d say we are well set. Still need a replacement for Ellis but otherwise I’d say it’s shaping up nicely
Not convinced we would need both, all depends on who is leaving. After Van Wyk departure, if we were too loose Nadolo and Murimurivalu as well, then yes please. You can’t replace Nadolo like for like but Holmes brings pace and power a plenty
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Assuming his former Tigers' form returns, I would prefer Holmes to Watson, as we actually would see him more and he would be on a lower wage...
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:22 pm Assuming his former Tigers' form returns, I would prefer Holmes to Watson, as we actually would see him more and he would be on a lower wage...
Me too and, whilst not without his own injury issues, I feel he is a lower injury risk than Watson
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I hope he’s coming here ,please,please,please! I’d take him over Watson,and I mean it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:22 pm Assuming his former Tigers' form returns, I would prefer Holmes to Watson, as we actually would see him more and he would be on a lower wage...
Should’ve read the whole thread first,got excited. Wholeheartedly agree!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:41 pm
Should’ve read the whole thread first,got excited. Wholeheartedly agree!
Imagine if we got both…solve any problem they had on the pitch.