Eddie Jones

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Eddie Jones

Post by Old Hob »

Eddie is, apparently, "very busy" in Japan with Suntory.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60998539
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Eddie Jones

Post by Rugbygramps »

No real problem for me, he might learn something and as it says long standing relationship. Next 2 weeks are European so unlikely to learn anything new.
TBH he probably already knows the majority of the squad to go to Australia, and hopefully his gang of coaches will keep him updated on any bolters
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:31 pm Eddie is, apparently, "very busy" in Japan with Suntory.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60998539
He has been doing this for a number of years, it has just been dug up again by journos after his head.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Man with job does thing. Outrageous. :smt015
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He’s also been helping us hasn’t he?

End of the day what can he do on the whole with England now? Watch games, analyze players give them feedback.

Not really stuff he needs to do in person.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Well, others think it odd particularly with European cup matches available to watch. He has said he doesn't think the Prem prepares players well enough for test match rugby. His Suntory connexion is long standing, I agree and he is using annual leave. He is, however, likely to coach some of those England face next, including Samu Kerevi, and Damian McKenzie and while I'm all for the brotherhood of the sport it does seem peculiar to be giving your latest thinking to your next opponents.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I guess on the other hand it also gives him first hand knowledge of any weaknesses.
You can certainly learn plenty of players weak spots in training.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:13 am Well, others think it odd particularly with European cup matches available to watch. He has said he doesn't think the Prem prepares players well enough for test match rugby. His Suntory connexion is long standing, I agree and he is using annual leave. He is, however, likely to coach some of those England face next, including Samu Kerevi, and Damian McKenzie and while I'm all for the brotherhood of the sport it does seem peculiar to be giving your latest thinking to your next opponents.
Apologies if I’m missing the point but isn’t that the same as him spending time with say Gloucester who have LRZ and Chris Harris
Tigerjoe1

Post by Tigerjoe1 »

Yeah there's no problem at all here. Think it's great that Coaches can network and have outstanding relationships with other coaches and clubs. Being around players like Kerevi and Mckenzie can only be a good thing. He'll probably watch every european game 2 or 3 times over as well
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:13 am Well, others think it odd particularly with European cup matches available to watch. He has said he doesn't think the Prem prepares players well enough for test match rugby. His Suntory connexion is long standing, I agree and he is using annual leave. He is, however, likely to coach some of those England face next, including Samu Kerevi, and Damian McKenzie and while I'm all for the brotherhood of the sport it does seem peculiar to be giving your latest thinking to your next opponents.
Sorry, but this is such a lame excuse. The Prem is a great comp where teams play some lovely running rugby, the fact he chooses not to play that way might be more the issue. If Prem clubs played like the international side, fans would die of boredom...or neck ache.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Postiger2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:34 pm
Sorry, but this is such a lame excuse. The Prem is a great comp where teams play some lovely running rugby, the fact he chooses not to play that way might be more the issue. If Prem clubs played like the international side, fans would die of boredom...or neck ache.
I do somewhat agree with his point though, out of all the teams in the Prem Sarries play the most international style of rugby and it has brought them great success as well as providing England with a core of very good players comfortable playing in this manner. Whereas on the flip side for my money Smith and Dombrandt have not shown anything like their club performances for England yet despite Harlequins playing flowing rugby.

This is not to say I advocate that the Premiership teams should just revert to a more international style of play just to appease Eddie but I can see a point he is making, the club game and international game are oddly two very different styles of game.
Last edited by wigworth on Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:54 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:34 pm
I do somewhat agree with his point though, out of all the teams in the Prem Sarries play the most international style of rugby and it has brought them great success as well as providing England with a core of very good players comfortable playing in this manner. Whereas on the flip side for my money Smith and Dombrandt have not shown anything like their club performances for England yet despite Harlequins playing flowing rugby.

This is not to say I advocate that the Premiership teams should just revert to a more international style of play just to appease Eddie but I can see a point he is making, the club game and international game are oddly two very different styles of game.
Great post!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LongsladeTiger

Post by LongsladeTiger »

Totally agree. Jones has already made up his mind about who's in his WC squad , and if there are injuries who will be called in . These players will have been conditioned to play in Jones ' 'style' of rugby for WC . So why would he waste his time looking at anyone else ? He might as well use this opportunity to hawk himself around looking for his next job after WC. Bring on ROG ?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

The media always want to target and England manager. Southgate it pretty safe, cricket has not got anyone in situ so Jones is the only real target, Expect plenty of negative media flack until the football team start losing or the cricket team make a new appointment, then the stirring may be spread out a little more.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

The press, hero today, whipping boy tomorrow.