Refs and Sarries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Refs and Sarries

Post by wigworth »

As it currently stands these are the card totals for the teams so far in the Premiership

Leicester - 17 yellows
Saracens - 4 yellows
Harlequins - 11 yellows
Exeter - 3 yellows - 2 reds
Northampton - 11 yellows
Sale - 7 yellows - 2 reds
Gloucester - 13 yellows
London Irish - 12 yellows - 3 reds
Wasps - 9 yellows - 2 reds
Bristol - 16 yellows - 2 reds
Newcastle - 7 yellows - 2 reds
Worcester - 12 yellows - 3 reds
Bath - 14 yellows - 2 reds
Last edited by wigworth on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:14 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:09 pm
chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Hah! I know your gift for sophistry too well to be sucked down that wormhole, Scott!
No I’m asking a genuine question. To shorten it considerably,do you agree Nadolos was a yellow and Billy V was just a penalty then?
I’ll shorten it still further. Yes.
OK then 🤦 with fans like that who needs haterz
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Ours is the anomaly in some ways because if you are winning week in week out then you shouldn’t need to concede penalties and be under pressure to force turnovers etc

Sarries play a very basic game as we all know, designed to minimise risk and apply the greatest pressure on the opposition to cause them to make mistakes.

I’d say the neutral would argue ours should be lower and theirs should be higher with the truth in the middle somewhere on laws of averages.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So a genuine attempt to catch the ball while being bumped during the incident is a yellow card but a blatant slap down with no players around stopping a potential break is just a penalty? Wow,that's told me. And there was me fretting ay
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:14 pm As it currently stands these are the card totals for the teams so far in the Premiership

Leicester - 17 yellows
Saracens - 4 yellows
Harlequins - 10 yellows
Northampton - 11 yellows
Gloucester - 13 yellows
Excellent work thanks
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

wigworth wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:14 pm As it currently stands these are the card totals for the teams so far in the Premiership

Leicester - 17 yellows
Saracens - 4 yellows
Harlequins - 10 yellows
Northampton - 11 yellows
Gloucester - 13 yellows
With the context of the entire league that Sarries number looks very fishy...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok, according to the citing commissioner. In our first game vs Sarries Kelly should have been red carded and that would have also ensured Sarries won that game vs us. Without that winning run and momentum from that game where would we be.

I'd rather have the league position than the lowest yellow card rating.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

2 points for me. One yes it is down to interpretation, but the nature of the game and the number of different laws means that will always be the case, compared to say football. Does this lead to inconsistency, yes particularly when as ref from another country is involved, as with todays game where Reynal was in charge, and there were definitely some different interpretations. Despite certain posters assertions it is very rarely black and white.

Secondly today Danny Care picked up his 5th yellow of the season, and he now shares the record with Gareth Archer. Who for those who don’t know was an uncompromising 2nd row.
4 of Care’s cards have come in the last 4 games. I very much doubt any were for foul play but surely a ban needs to be forthcoming for a future league match(s), otherwise he will just keep doing it
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:42 pm Secondly today Danny Care picked up his 5th yellow of the season, and he now shares the record with Gareth Archer. Who for those who don’t know was an uncompromising 2nd row.
4 of Care’s cards have come in the last 4 games. I very much doubt any were for foul play but surely a ban needs to be forthcoming for a future league match(s), otherwise he will just keep doing it
That is certainly quite a feat to achieve, if he manages five in a row it will make a great rugby quiz question.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:42 pm 2 points for me. One yes it is down to interpretation, but the nature of the game and the number of different laws means that will always be the case, compared to say football. Does this lead to inconsistency, yes particularly when as ref from another country is involved, as with todays game where Reynal was in charge, and there were definitely some different interpretations. Despite certain posters assertions it is very rarely black and white.
You want to be careful introducing nuance into the debate, gramps...you’ll give our Scottie palpitations 😏
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Most of Cares are intentional knock on’s to interrupt a potential try scoring mode from the opposition. All have been professional fouls and cynical if you believe other teams have a right to try to score unimpeded.

Sarries seem to infringe in breakdowns a few phases further out but do not get team yellows. I think they start off before the 22 “red zone” so refs are more lenient.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

:smt006
chris111 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:06 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:42 pm 2 points for me. One yes it is down to interpretation, but the nature of the game and the number of different laws means that will always be the case, compared to say football. Does this lead to inconsistency, yes particularly when as ref from another country is involved, as with todays game where Reynal was in charge, and there were definitely some different interpretations. Despite certain posters assertions it is very rarely black and white.
You want to be careful introducing nuance into the debate, gramps...you’ll give our Scottie palpitations 😏
Nothing nuanced about regarding a 50/50 penalty/yellow as a definite yellow and a definite yellow as only a penalty 😉
glenn

Post by glenn »

Im surprised at how low exeters' tally is. Also bare in mind that for sarries they haven't had farrell playing for most of the season!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

glenn wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:56 pm Im surprised at how low exeters' tally is. Also bare in mind that for sarries they haven't had farrell playing for most of the season!
He wouldn't get carded anyway!
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:42 pm
Secondly today Danny Care picked up his 5th yellow of the season, and he now shares the record with Gareth Archer. Who for those who don’t know was an uncompromising 2nd row.
Jasper got a 2 game ban earlier in the season for receiving 3 yellow cards in the season, but it looks like Danny Care will not get into any trouble as the rules are..

No disciplinary action will be taken in relation to yellow cards awarded for technical
offences. All yellow cards (technical and Foul Play) shall be reported to the RFU, but
only those awarded for Foul Play will be recorded, attract an administrative fee as set
out in Appendix 3 and be included for totting up purposes

I presume deliberate knock on's are technical and not foul play even though they all resulted in the other team being awarded a penalty , nothing in the the rules seem to allow any further action being taken

https://www.englandrugby.com//dxdam/04/ ... ix%201.pdf