LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by LE18 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:35 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:30 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:38 am

I'll take half right lol
Where has all this speculation come from. :smt017
*sticks head above the parapet*
I caught the end of the Leeds v St Helens game last night and at the end they were talking about where Leeds were searching for their next head coach after parting ways with Agar. They mentioned Australia and the NRL but didn't make any reference to Sir Kev. I was just asking if any on here felt that Sinfield may be interested in the role. Nothing more than that.
*ducks back down*
You are brave and forgiven. :smt068 :smt052
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:09 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:35 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:30 pm

Where has all this speculation come from. :smt017
*sticks head above the parapet*
I caught the end of the Leeds v St Helens game last night and at the end they were talking about where Leeds were searching for their next head coach after parting ways with Agar. They mentioned Australia and the NRL but didn't make any reference to Sir Kev. I was just asking if any on here felt that Sinfield may be interested in the role. Nothing more than that.
*ducks back down*
You are brave and forgiven. :smt068 :smt052
Much appreciated :smt023
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Rugby Paper stating that Anthony Watson has a straight up choice between Tigers and Bath. Will he go for the comfy route or will he put himself out of his comfort zone? Guess time will tell.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Loob19 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:54 am Rugby Paper stating that Anthony Watson has a straight up choice between Tigers and Bath. Will he go for the comfy route or will he put himself out of his comfort zone? Guess time will tell.
He has a young family as well I believe so a further consideration for him
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Very unusual for clubs like Sarries and Bath to lose their best players given how deep their pockets are.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Loob19 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:54 am Rugby Paper stating that Anthony Watson has a straight up choice between Tigers and Bath. Will he go for the comfy route or will he put himself out of his comfort zone? Guess time will tell.
Well, bit of a no-brainer I would have thought from the player's perspective, but best player for Tigers?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Watson ticks a lot of boxes as a player. He’s express pace, very good in the air and can play across the back 3. He also a British Lion which should not be forgotten.

Problems come from injuries and selection. Not about quality but availability.

If Tigers are not replacing Nemani with like to like he’s the best winger on the market that I can think of.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Difficult one do you take a punt on Watson, knowing his injury record, and if he’s not injured could get an England call up.
Or do you look for another Under the radar type signing like Potter or Porter
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:00 pm Difficult one do you take a punt on Watson, knowing his injury record, and if he’s not injured could get an England call up.
Or do you look for another Under the radar type signing like Potter or Porter
If we're losing the star quality of Nadolo then IMO we need to get in some star quality. Watson has that. Pretty difficult to find it without international commitments.

All the successful Prem teams have had a good mix of Potters and Watsons.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd take Watson, for the right salary of course. Considering May was rumoured to come down to around 200k during his latest contract, Nadolo being rumoured around the same and Watson's recent injury history I don't think he'd break the bank despite his pedigree. Especially as Watson will be eager to remain in the England frame.

Nadolo is vital to the game plan but there are very few players who can replace what he offers in attack so a change in game plan will come anyway if Nemzi is off as rumoured. If a winger as powerful as Koroibete or Tuisova were available for a similar wage then that'd be brilliant but a like for like replacement for Nadolo is near impossible. He fitted exactly the individual threat that Tigers needed to aid a fledgling attack at a point in his career when he was no longer getting huge offers in France.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Must admit to being a bit more hopeful with Nadolo. As I understood it, the desire to return to Oz, was partially driven by very tragic circumstances. Things seem to have returned a bit more to normal now, with the family posting a recent trip to Bath on their YouTube channel. Maybe he has decided to see that final year out
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Putting two and two together, maybe getting 5, but feels we may try and get this year out of Nadolo then go for Joe Cockanasiga. Having his brother here this year may make us more appealing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:26 pm Putting two and two together, maybe getting 5, but feels we may try and get this year out of Nadolo then go for Joe Cockanasiga. Having his brother here this year may make us more appealing.
Yes ,I’d take Joe over Watson too. Even at the potential risk of losing him to England for large parts of the season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:39 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:26 pm Putting two and two together, maybe getting 5, but feels we may try and get this year out of Nadolo then go for Joe Cockanasiga. Having his brother here this year may make us more appealing.
Yes ,I’d take Joe over Watson too. Even at the potential risk of losing him to England for large parts of the season.
He looked a real threat playing for bath yesterday and would be a great get if there is any possibility we could sign him.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Big Joe hasn't exactly been a parigan of fitness & availability, that would be the big risk with him as much as Watson
To win is not as important as playing with style!