LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by RagingBull »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:10 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:10 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:04 pm Has Marler re signed for Quins yet ? There was the drum roll, followed by Care re signing, but nothing more on Marler, which could mean he’s still thinking of his next move, even if it’s staying at Quins.
Doesn't need to be if he's still in contract with Quins next season already?
Is he ?
Pretty sure he is and he has also said he's still in contract with them next season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:15 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:10 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:10 pm

Doesn't need to be if he's still in contract with Quins next season already?
Is he ?
Pretty sure he is and he has also said he's still in contract with them next season.
Yep Marler confirmed on Twitter he was under contract.

Basically if what I understand is the case:

1. He had an optional extra year on his current contract (or some sort of get out clause)

2. While deciding if to activate it he may or may not have been spotted at Oval Park having discussions.

3. He then on Twitter as speculation was heating up stated outright he was under contract with Quins for another year.

4. Quins have never announced he was re-signing as this was the same contract.

So either 1.&2. were just hype or he decided to remain (which was always the leading contender). The fact the situation lasted for as long as it did before he suddenly stated he was staying suggests that 1 & 2 may have been true,but liklihood is until we see an admission in an autobiography we'll never know how seriously he thought about leaving.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Great thanks
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

LH is a tough one. You could almost argue Pollard is an upgrade on Ford, but either way is a like for like replacement.

Genge on the other hand is almost irreplaceable, especially with the movement in the cap. He’s just upped his game this season to the next level and such a shame he’s leaving.

Whitcombe has the potential to be that player in the long term. Van Wyk is better than many give him credit for, I wouldn’t have any problem with him starting, but isn’t in the same league obviously. Leatigaga I could see leaving and I for one wouldn’t be too disappointed. He’s never matched a Mulipola in his heyday. Seems poor fitness levels wise and is a liability at TH.

Anyone heard any more rumours about Obano? He’s in my mind someone if Aled thinks he can get fit is someone who’d be a great signing.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Even if money was no object, is there another LH in the world who carries as well as Genge? And has the same leadership qualities? And tackles as well? And can hold his own in the scrum against pretty much anyone?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:30 pm Even if money was no object, is there another LH in the world who carries as well as Genge? And has the same leadership qualities? And tackles as well? And can hold his own in the scrum against pretty much anyone?
I'd take Ox Nche or Cyril Baille as a replacement for Genge, maybe Andrew Porter :smt023

*no chance of getting any of them but just saying..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:30 pm Even if money was no object, is there another LH in the world who carries as well as Genge? And has the same leadership qualities? And tackles as well? And can hold his own in the scrum against pretty much anyone?
I don't think so, Cyril Baille would be the only other real stand out loose head that comes to mind then possibly followed by Andrew Porter on recent form. However being able to get these guys is impossible anyway.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

And while enormous credit must go to Ellis for all the work he has put in since his arrival, surely great praise must go to those, starting with Cockers and right up to Aled and SB who helped smooth that path.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:08 pm
And while enormous credit must go to Ellis for all the work he has put in since his arrival, surely great praise must go to those, starting with Cockers and right up to Aled and SB who helped smooth that path.
Completely agree, I think we all knew Genge had the potential from the start but it wasn't always certain that he would fulfil it.

I'm mostly over the Bristol video now and it will be a real shame to see him go to another Premiership club - but at least they aren't rivals :smt003. Hopefully he will win his last club trophy at the end of this season...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 pm
Old Hob wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:08 pm
Completely agree, I think we all knew Genge had the potential from the start but it wasn't always certain that he would fulfil it.

I'm mostly over the Bristol video now and it will be a real shame to see him go to another Premiership club - but at least they aren't rivals :smt003. Hopefully he will win his last club trophy at the end of this season...
I do agree credit goes to everyone that saw something and developed it. Huge credit to the man himself too, compare his development as a leader to say Sinclair
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:21 pm
I'd take Ox Nche or Cyril Baille as a replacement for Genge, maybe Andrew Porter :smt023

*no chance of getting any of them but just saying..
Ox Nche will likely be on the market next summer he's still at the Skarks in SA and will be 27 so pretty much prime prop age. Maybe Marler as well as he's stated just the one year left on his Quins deal.

This summer I think Moon, Goodrick-Clark and Shoeman the Edinburgh Scottish international are all coming out of contract. Goodrick-Clark is a big bloke who's been in some England training squads and will probably remain on the fringes but just that step down so could be a good option.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Sounds like Cokanasiga could be a decent pick up :smt003
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hopefully nailed down
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I do worry about us signing Watson following his ACL injury. If fit he would be a good signing for any club but how many players come back as fit and fast as they were after ACL surgery? Might he also be a liability on certain types of artificial pitches?

There's a nagging doubt in my mind about whether this is good move for us.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!