Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish (Home) - Saturday 12th March 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:34 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:49 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:31 am

True but for me as Irish showed if you base your game upon fast ruck ball , fast backs, fast passing and a decent set piece then your going to make it.
There is a difference between being a quick player and playing at a fast tempo which I totally agree with. Fast ruck ball leads to disorganised defences and as such more space to attack in.
Don’t know whether you watched the England v Ireland game but they are talking about Ireland looking to achieve the holy grail of average 3 second ruck speed a game
Ruck speed is nothing if you don’t have accuracy. Case in point with Ireland yesterday.
with respect that sort of goes without saying. But if you’re ruck is taking 7 or 8 seconds you can be as accurate as you like the defence will be accurate
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

If anybody has’nt already mentioned it, the BBC Radio Leicester Rugby Show Podcast has an utterly beautiful interview with Nemani towards the end. Think my wife and I must have had a little sand in our eyes when listening to it. Brilliant player with a bigger heart who was formidable in attack yesterday (even when attacking with one boot!) - we are extremely lucky to have him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bv26w7
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:34 pm If anybody has’nt already mentioned it, the BBC Radio Leicester Rugby Show Podcast has an utterly beautiful interview with Nemani towards the end. Think my wife and I must have had a little sand in our eyes when listening to it. Brilliant player with a bigger heart who was formidable in attack yesterday (even when attacking with one boot!) - we are extremely lucky to have him.

Disappointing to read in TRP rumours he is heading home for family reasons and Fiji Drua. May be his Mum was here also to help pack is bags.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:26 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:34 pm If anybody has’nt already mentioned it, the BBC Radio Leicester Rugby Show Podcast has an utterly beautiful interview with Nemani towards the end. Think my wife and I must have had a little sand in our eyes when listening to it. Brilliant player with a bigger heart who was formidable in attack yesterday (even when attacking with one boot!) - we are extremely lucky to have him.

Disappointing to read in TRP rumours he is heading home for family reasons and Fiji Drua. May be his Mum was here also to help pack is bags.
Only the 4th time his mum has watched him in the flesh remarkable.
Given what is being said about Drua, and the understandable desire for him and his wife to return to the family, I can see him going. If it does then he will always be fondly thought of.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:39 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:34 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:49 am
There is a difference between being a quick player and playing at a fast tempo which I totally agree with. Fast ruck ball leads to disorganised defences and as such more space to attack in.
Don’t know whether you watched the England v Ireland game but they are talking about Ireland looking to achieve the holy grail of average 3 second ruck speed a game
Ruck speed is nothing if you don’t have accuracy. Case in point with Ireland yesterday.
with respect that sort of goes without saying. But if you’re ruck is taking 7 or 8 seconds you can be as accurate as you like the defence will be accurate
Swings and roundabouts……slow ball doesn’t necessarily equal no go forward, but you’re right the defence should be set nicely. My point is more around that quick speed of ball…I’m not sure theres many teams in world rugby who could consistently get that speed of ball and execute it accurately, given the factors of having to get forwards around the corner and off the floor having cleared out etc multiple phases to fatigue the defence enough to exploit the inevitable gaps.Ireland couldn’t do it vs 14 men !!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Well it’s an average over 80 minutes, also much as I agree with much of what you say, this was originally about the speed of the Irish fullback and another poster saying it was something tigers were sorely missing
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:17 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:03 am
chris111 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:00 am Was very impressed with the pace and swerve of the LI full-back (Stokes), having never seen him before. Until he saw Nadolo bearing down on him for his 2nd try…and just waved him through!
Their 15 yesterday was Harry Arundel, who was suggested as one to watch. Played for England u20s
A class player with serious pace, something the Irish attack have in abundance and what we sadly lack.
Thanks for correcting me on the name…looked him up and see he also plays wing. Which might explain the non-tackling!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

We really dont need non tackling poseurs, irrespective how quick they are. Stains and Waspies have more than the Midlands fair share, thank you,,,
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thought Hassell-Collins looked pretty decent yesterday: looked for work and not afraid to tackle the “ big boys!” Not quite Jack Nowell but I’ve seen him play consistently well for a Irish all season.
Think we are ok for wingers though and hopefully a couple of academy lads will step up!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:23 pm Well it’s an average over 80 minutes, also much as I agree with much of what you say, this was originally about the speed of the Irish fullback and another poster saying it was something tigers were sorely missing
Was it…haha ok, I got carried away there !
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

For anyone who has still to see the game the Premiership Rugby app can be downloaded for free onto a smart TV or any other internet connected device.

If the game is not broadcast live on BT it should be available free of charge on the Prem App within around 24 hours of the end of the game. I was at the LI game but my wife wasn't able to make it so we both watched it together yesterday evening. It gave me a chance to check some of Dickson's decisions which for the most part were reasonable. Yes he did get some wrong and I have never been a fan but in fairness I have to say he is improving.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Reviewing the game this morning, I am very impressed by Tigers performance overall. I also feel LI acquitted themselves well given the red card. It would not surprise me if they were pressing for 4th place this year, or failing that 5th/6th.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would be very surprised if Irish don’t make top 6 and top 4 is defo a possibility .
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

7 point gap now between Quins in 3rd and chiefs in 4th. Then only another 6 points down to Saints in 8th who have a game in hand. Really close in the race for top 4
TigerSID

Post by TigerSID »

Curtis Rona and Brad Davis: London Irish winger and coach banned after Leicester incidents

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60766862

Rona was banned for 3 weeks but will do the course and serve 2 weeks and aparently Brad Davis had something to say to the officials and is banned for 2 weeks.