Championship rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship rugby

Post by johnthegriff »

If instigated it is the end of the road for professional club rugby, I for one would give up my season ticket, there would be no meaningful European Club fixtures, the next step would be to move to amalgamated district or province based teams as in Ireland and Wales, the RFU would decide which two of possibly six provinces would have the best opportunity of bringing home silver wear and concentrate the best players on them as per Leinster and Munster in Ireland.
Take Academies and base them with Universities, what about good rugby players who do not meet the academic requirements for University admission and who will be responsible for paying fees? Last weekend I saw under 18's representing all Premiership clubs, to get to that level each club probably has 30 or more in each year group of whom less than a dozen will graduate to Senior Academy status and a professional contract, some will be able to combine this with University education others will follow alternative paths. Can the RFU who plainly have insufficient money to adequately fund the Championship find the funds to pay fees salary and medical bills to pay to more than 100 aspiring rugby players each year for three years minimum and to be doing the same for succeeding years meaning 300 or so players on a permanent basis whilst also paying say £500K per year each to forty-five centrally contracted players. I don't think so!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Saw this article and thought it might be of interest.

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2022/03/04/ea ... ition-law/

In my humble opinion, a ground capacity of 5K should be acceptable. Given the eye watering levels of inflation in UK which are surely set to get worse as a consequence of Putin invading Ukraine, we could be moving into an era of declining crowd sizes and increasing online audiences.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Frustrating night for Notts in the mud. Conditions horrendous reflected in the 0-0 half time score line. A try after half time by the Notts 10 seemed to galvanise Richmond, who got their pick and go game moving to score 3 tries. Browning came on and scored to get the losing bonus. Vanes solid again, Chessum busy.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Doncaster said to be appealing against the decision to deny them promotion, on the grounds that they would ground share with Hull KR. Hope they are successful.

However I am against a 14 team prem, the fixture list is already overly congested and a 12 team prem is the ideal, with the bottom and top clubs automatically being relegated/promoted and the second bottom/top playing off for the right to promotion/avoid relegation.

Our last league game this season is June 4th which means that the season won't end until mid June, bonkers, the players need more downtime between seasons.
Soggypitch
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I agree - 14 - indeed 13 is too many teams. Reintroduction of relegation from prem will just be yoyo though, but something has to give - Prem Cup perhaps? Championship promotion will just be yoyo too. Everyone quotes exeter but Prem is very different now.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'd be happy with 11 - Worcester's highest ever finish was 8th, and that was 17 years ago, so what exactly do they bring to the party? Newcastle are in a mess these days and clearly can't afford to compete on the same level as the rest of the league.

We've already got Bath and Gloucester so geographically speaking Worcester and Wasps are unnecessary - get rid of Worcester, make Wasps sod off up north somewhere to replace Newcastle and voila.... you have a competitive 11 team league :smt003
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Wasps are the Cuckoo in the nest, just kick them out, they are a financial basket case as well aren't they?

There were/are effectively 13 genuine full pro teams in England & unless something changes if you do back to 12, you will just change one each year.
The idea of franchises should be dead in the water, look at Wales the crowds are mainly pitiful.
Maybe it should be a 2 pro divisions of 7 or 8, with cup competition(s), reduces the amount of games, but the league might then be played outside the International Windows.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:17 pm Wasps are the Cuckoo in the nest, just kick them out, they are a financial basket case as well aren't they?

There were/are effectively 13 genuine full pro teams in England & unless something changes if you do back to 12, you will just change one each year.
The idea of franchises should be dead in the water, look at Wales the crowds are mainly pitiful.
Maybe it should be a 2 pro divisions of 7 or 8, with cup competition(s), reduces the amount of games, but the league might then be played outside the International Windows.
Happy to get rid of Wasps as well and make it 10, then scrap promotion.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

And of course with a reduced number of matches we the fans will be happy to continue paying the same or increased amounts for less rugby because if we didn't player wages would have to reduce further and I would think the club would have very little chance of meeting stadium maintenance costs and many staff would be made redundant
A League of 12 or even 14 is necessary for survival, the failure is that we have been unable to facilitate the development of a strong Championship, maybe we should modify ground criteria Premiership entry requirements as long as the potential promoted club showed evidence that they had the ideas and ambition to meet current criteria..
If we had a fully professional Championship we could have a cup competition that would allow big paydays for smaller clubs as they hosted the visit of clubs like Tigers.
I wonder if it would be possible for say Welsh clubs to apply to join a two division Premiership, some of them have grounds that would probably be acceptable.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:46 pm And of course with a reduced number of matches we the fans will be happy to continue paying the same or increased amounts for less rugby because if we didn't player wages would have to reduce further and I would think the club would have very little chance of meeting stadium maintenance costs and many staff would be made redundant
Very happy to pay more - make it better and charge more, don't try to keep prices low and sell loads more of it because it's the quality that suffers. Who enjoys watching an utterly predictable win against Worcester or Newcastle every season?

Fewer matches means fewer matches without the international players and fewer matches where top players need to be rested.

I suspect I am probably in the minority though, judging by the feedback on the catering topic where it seems most people are baffled by the idea of paying more for food than they would in a Morrisons Cafe...
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Putting prices may be okay for some but increasing them will almost certainly be a cost that some cannot afford / justify in todays climate. Rugby is reaching down to all levels and is generally affordable to those that enjoy and follow the game.
Attendances are not at a capacity to warrant an increase in matchday prices in my opinion. Clubs need to be able to attract all ages and newcomers at all levels to the game.
With regards to food and drink prices, they are at a level which I expect to pay at events both at MWWR and other stadiums.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Is the price the reason that we haven't had more sellouts? How many people can afford £22 on the terrace but would be unable to find an extra £4 ten times a year?

The Worcester match was 10% lower than Gloucester a few weeks later.

Premiership Cup match was 20% lower than most Prem games at MWWR, despite probably being much cheaper?

Quins on a Sunday sold a lot more than most games, whereas Bath on a Friday was similar to Worcester.

So maybe the strength of opposition (and strength of Tigers team) coupled with time of week/year (Falcons on 2nd Jan was very popular) are more important than price? Maybe not, I don't have all the facts, but fewer matches would mean more consistent strength of team and opposition, as well as greater opportunity to schedule matches on the right days.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tiglon, fewer teams may strengthen the game but would mean Clubs having to find a similar level of income to maintain the facilities, pitches and wages of back room and playing staff.
The Premiership Rugby Cup (and its predecessors) was introduced to keep the game alive as clubs could not afford not to have any rugby during the international match weekends. This brings in some revenue but has also been used to give opportunities to some of the fringe players.
You say an extra £4, ten times a year - okay if it is just yourself, but as a family it is a cost that some may not be able to afford.
Worcester was on an international weekend so some may have decided to stay at home to watch the England game.
Gloucester was against a team competing for the top four, again on an international match day but was seen as a more competitive game.
PRC Matches always tend to attract lower attendances.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The Championships future is looking rather unclear.

France's ProD2 seems to be in good health and their clubs are well supported with matches being televised, but the sides promoted are often prime candidates for immediate relegation.
Look at this season for example. Perpignan and Biarritz were promoted last season and are currently 13th and 14th respectively in the Top14 with Biarritz almost certainly sure to be back in ProD2 next season!
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:10 pm The Championships future is looking rather unclear.

France's ProD2 seems to be in good health and their clubs are well supported with matches being televised, but the sides promoted are often prime candidates for immediate relegation.
Look at this season for example. Perpignan and Biarritz were promoted last season and are currently 13th and 14th respectively in the Top14 with Biarritz almost certainly sure to be back in ProD2 next season!
Sad to see the once mighty Biarritz in trouble. TV coverage was often when it was raining and Eddie Butler commentating on Harry Nordequey