Saracens (Away) - Saturday 05th March 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JayC2
Tiger Cub

Re: Saracens (Away) - Saturday 05th March 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Post by JayC2 »

Yes we are all upset because we lost and could have won - away at the strongest team in the league and with a lot of starters missing to boot.

If Kini keeps his cool...

If we don't make silly mistakes....

...we could well have won that game - even with the unfavourable ref calls.

So I'm trying to see this as a positive and believe that if/when we meet them in the playoffs, then we actually have a good shot at beating them in a game that means a helluv a lot more than today's "6N affected, playing away on plastic, heavily rotated tigers team" game was.

IBWT
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I know it’s a game in isolation but you can see a pattern of who would be in Borthwick’s strongest line up and who isn’t quite there yet. Having said that, the 23 put out today have gone pretty close away at Sarries. Those players will have learned a lot from that loss. A bit more composure in the red zone, fix the errors and discipline and that’s a side for the future.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Some good posts
Long day and was at the game as always
A strong partisan crowd maybe have influenced some decisions
Sarries defended well and despite our possession we couldn’t break through
Some key moments (most which went against us) did turn the game but I’m still more than happy with this journey
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Sarries, best team in the league? Maybe 2nd. We can't play ourselves! :smt003

If they were the best, they would be top of the league. :smt003
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

O.K I was at the match with a good view but have not yet seen the TV recording or highlights. We started with a front and back row average age 21, all did well. I probably would not have selected the team that took the field but I have no information on who is carrying a niggle, who needs game time, who will benefit from a rest etc so I am happy that someone else does the job and that they take into account the long haul of the Premiership with our position after 24 games in mind.
I thought the ref had a decent game, agreed with the two yellow card decisions, I was actually pleased to see the penalty restart in my opinion it should be used more often, referees should not ignore offences just because a try has been scored. I did think the number of penalties conceded by Sarries in the red zone could have warranted a warning and possibly a yellow,
I thought when they were a man down we kept banging away against the brick wall of their defense and we would have been better taking 3 points instead of a scrum in front of the posts.
Not sure why some are attacking Burns for not tackling, I have seen hi make some brave tackles in previous matches although I don't remember one from yesterday I don't recall him missing one either.
A losing bonus point is a better result than we normally get at that venue so not too disappointed with yesterday's outcome, our backs did lack penetration but the Saracens defense was superb and they had more speed in attack, their team and systems have had a decade to develop we are still in the early stages and are not so very far behind,
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I think some of the comments are because we could have won. Away to sarries, on that excuse for a pitch! The big plus for me is that if we had just a couple of the huge number who were missing, I think we possibly would have. What I struggle to understand is why the big ball carriers were all missing at the start.

When it comes to the play offs the one thing to avoid is away to sarries and that looks unlikely but its a tough run in and can't take anything for granted.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:39 am
Not sure why some are attacking Burns for not tackling, I have seen hi make some brave tackles in previous matches although I don't remember one from yesterday I don't recall him missing one either.
Because Burns was the only starting Tigers player who did make a tackle yesterday you cannot argue with that fact.https://www.premiershiprugby.com/match- ... statistics
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Burns has no missed tackles…..unlike Daly who made 1 and missed 3.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A game lost rather than one where we were beaten.

A few dumb things cost us. Pointless yellow turned 7 into10.

I don’t think we got the rub of the green in terms of the ref. Far too many penalties in the 22 to kill attacks. Not even a warning.

Not convinced their 9 deserved a card. He was low going in to the tackle with his head placed in the correct tackling position to go behind Ford’s body. Ford ducked and jinked. An unavoidable collision for me. You cannot legislate all accidental clashes of heads.

We know that in Whitcombe, even at his young age he is a more than capable loose head at this level and probably higher international level before long. Likewise Heyes is more than comfortable.
Who is behind them when Genge leaves and Cole retires. Lady Gaga is good bench loosehead but not really anything other than a makeshift bench tighthead. We have 3 top level hookers. 2 have already gained international honours and for me it is a matter of time before Clare gets recognised.

Not sure that Nandolo is best used off the bench. Risky as he runs out of steam, so if the starting wing gets injured early he might have to play the whole game and defensively he may be at greater risk of being exposed for speed as the game opens up.
Start him, and take him off when starting to slow.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

No doubt Burns is a better fly half than full back but he is better than Hegarty at full back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:06 am No doubt Burns is a better fly half than full back but he is better than Hegarty at full back.
Other than personal preference do you have anything to back this up
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:06 am No doubt Burns is a better fly half than full back but he is better than Hegarty at full back.
Neither of them are better than Kini though.
For me Hegarty looks more comfortable at 15, going forward it's a position we need to think about as our first choice 15 is going to be unavailable for a fair chunk of the season.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Mike Brown?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:16 am
Neither of them are better than Kini though.
For me Hegarty looks more comfortable at 15, going forward it's a position we need to think about as our first choice 15 is going to be unavailable for a fair chunk of the season.
This is the same Kini that gave away a complete needless yellow card yesterday in what could easily have been the turning point in the match. For me, given the choice of wingers we have, the best option would be Potter, very good under the high ball, defensively sound, quick and strong enough to get himself out of trouble
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:02 am Burns has no missed tackles…..unlike Daly who made 1 and missed 3.
Ever thought that Burns did not attempt to make any tackles :smt017 At least Daly made 1 and attempted 3.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity