6 Nations 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:25 am :smt044 Eddie's gamble? When will Jones learn?

Any coach would pick Manu, if fit, which he clearly was. What has Jones lost? Nothing.

How is it Jones' fault that England don't have any other big backs? Did he run over Cokanasiga's knee? Does he run all the club academies?

It's perfectly reasonable to think Jones isn't the right man for the job, but some of the desperation to have a dig at him is getting a bit silly.
All good points made. I suppose from my point of view knowing his injury history he should have been asked to take part in more games for his club before the call up. He now has another injury in the same problematic area as a lot of his others, certainly his last injury which seemed to be caused by him running into open space to score a try
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:12 am A disproportionate number of Manu's injuries have come training with or playing for England. And this theory may well be applied to other players too.

I think there is a fundamental issue with the EJ training camps - far to much emphasis on physical conditioning and contact. Conditioning is a long term matter for clubs not something that can be addressed in brief training camps with the possible exception of the world cup preparation where the players are with the squad for longer.
Have they? Really? Hmmmm. I’d like to see the stats please.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am sorry to say it (but I did 3 years ago) Manu is not worth the money he is earning. To get this clear - I am a Manu fan, love the way he played and at his best was one of our genuine world-class players and was a Rolls-Royce of a player but if the Roller's engine keeps breaking almost every time you take it out, it is a waste of money. I respect his dream of another world cup, I respect his dream of another Lion's tour but I just can't see him making either. How many times have we heard the statement "He is fit and raring to go" only to be let down by this injury or that injury? In the last 2 seasons, he has played12 matches - only 5 for 80 mins. In his shoes, I would be looking for a last big payday in Japan/France in order to look after my family.
Hehehehehehehehe
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree with trendy and have thought so for a long time. Not a Rolls Royce, more a DeLorean. Looks great but...
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:11 am I agree with trendy and have thought so for a long time. Not a Rolls Royce, more a DeLorean. Looks great but...
My father likened him to a car that has the engine of a Shelby Cobra with the chassis of a Triumph Spitfire. Has the muscle exceeded the capability of the skeleton?

I'll get me coat.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LongsladeTiger

Post by LongsladeTiger »

For couple of years ,about 8 years ago, he was a world class player ,but sadly has declined since then to no more than a potentially good impact player at club level.Jones must realise this and move on for next WC otherwise we'll be no more than semi finalists.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I don't buy that EJ is responsible for Manu - certainly there's an intensity to training which has accounted for others but if his hamstring has gone after barely week of training, he wasn't fit when both he and Sale said he was.

Sale were quite happy to imply it was Tigers' fault previously, and now they're subtly blaming EJ ("well he was fit when we released him") but at some point the responsibility has to land with the player.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The blame game has started again.......

It is nobody's fault that Manu is incredibly injury prone, just plain bad luck. It was ever thus with certain rugby and football players we have all known over the years. Was it Darren Anderton who was nicknamed Sicknote? I suspect it's a common nickname in many teams.

Good luck to Manu, but tbh I think it's about time he took the money and retired, before his mental health is shot to ribbons, with constant rehab and further injury coming along all too quickly. He's taken so much of it in his career, surely it's time to stop.

So England really do need to find a proper 12 (we have three 13s in the squad this weekend); step forward Dan Kelly who to my mind has been exceptional this season and will only get better!!
Soggypitch
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Some of you have obviously never owned a Lotus or Alfa - fixing it when it inevitably breaks down is half of the fun :smt023

Cars aside, Manu is still capable of doing things that no other England player can, things that very few in the world can do. Any head coach would be crazy not to select him if he's available. Sure, you know there's a good chance he will get injured again, but you prepare for that and have a back up plan. What have you lost?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:28 pm Some of you have obviously never owned a Lotus or Alfa - fixing it when it inevitably breaks down is half of the fun :smt023

Cars aside, Manu is still capable of doing things that no other England player can, things that very few in the world can do. Any head coach would be crazy not to select him if he's available. Sure, you know there's a good chance he will get injured again, but you prepare for that and have a back up plan. What have you lost?
My problem is more the releasing of Marchant/Atkinson, if you're picking a injury doubt then IMO you make sure one of your travelling reserves is a replacement.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Who is starting with Slade in MF please? And who is coming on to the bench?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:31 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:28 pm Some of you have obviously never owned a Lotus or Alfa - fixing it when it inevitably breaks down is half of the fun :smt023

My problem is more the releasing of Marchant/Atkinson, if you're picking a injury doubt then IMO you make sure one of your travelling reserves is a replacement.
Yeah fair point. Did Marchant actually leave the camp before he was recalled?
Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:07 pm Who is starting with Slade in MF please? And who is coming on to the bench?
I think it's to be confirmed tomorrow.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:07 pm Who is starting with Slade in MF please? And who is coming on to the bench?
Thanks Tiglon 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Marchant was released to his club Tuesday, recalled late Thursday. I'm guessing he went straight back to his club with the hopes of playing this weekend.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:02 pm Marchant was released to his club Tuesday, recalled late Thursday. I'm guessing he went straight back to his club with the hopes of playing this weekend.
Given that Nowell and Manu are both less than reliable injury-wise, it wouldn't have been a crazy idea to hold on to Marchant for the week.