wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by wigworth »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:35 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:16 pm
wigworth wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:11 pm

How quickly can you sub a player on though? From what it seems like, it has to be communicated to a match official before hand, therefore can you quickly sub off a player and put in a replacement hooker just before a lineout?
Personally for me if it's a risk reward thing, match situation, momentum with Scotland. Ok a hooker is slightly less mobile than a lock/backrow, but with fatigue/fresh sub. As soon as the yellow was brandished I said to my dad, I said, what subs have we yet to make (I'd seen Dombrandt come on) I then said, sub off Isiekwe for George. With that match senario and time on the clock I'm always bringing George on after the sin bin period.
Not disagreeing with you, my comment was in response to "there was no contingency" - there was, it was all discussed and agreed in advance of the game, it just didn't work. Have to say though, an international rugby player throwing a ball 5m... should be able to do that at 9 times out of 10 regardless of whether he's a hooker or not.
Dombrandt doesn't do Marler any favours either as by the time he is ready to catch the throw in he is already in front of the 5m line.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Thing is, if you're prop is going to throw in at the line everyone in the world know where its going....
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I'm a bit surprised to see Isiekwe dropped completely, thought he'd done a decent job in the first two games. Seems risky when, by their own admission, they're still working on Lawes' fitness.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Postiger2 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:37 pm I'm a bit surprised to see Isiekwe dropped completely, thought he'd done a decent job in the first two games. Seems risky when, by their own admission, they're still working on Lawes' fitness.
No one has been dropped completely,I thought this was just a training squad for the fallow week and not the final squad for the Wales game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes it is , Marler hasn’t been dropped either. Just given some game time
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:39 pm Yes it is , Marler hasn’t been dropped either. Just given some game time
You're absolutely right. I misread the article. Thought it was odd!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Postiger2 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:39 pm Yes it is , Marler hasn’t been dropped either. Just given some game time
You're absolutely right. I misread the article. Thought it was odd!
Got me too at first!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

OK, there was insufficient contingency then, not none. In my day, the winger threw in. Sometimes, if it was 10 man rugby, it was the ONLY thing they got to do.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The contingency should have been subbing a hooker on. Bring George on for Simmonds, when LCD can come back on you either put him in the back row or bring Ewels on and move Isiekwe or Itoje to blindside. Not an ideal use of subs but it wasn't an ideal situation. Needs must. It was utter lunacy to have a prop throw in at that stage.

Thinking of other contingency, it's the type of situation where Marcos Ayerza's party trick of lifting Crofty on his own would come in handy to be fair. Cut numbers to a 2 man lineout and throw to a jumper with one lifter right at the front.

I'm honestly surprised more sides don't do that when their lineout completely goes to pot. Throwing to the front limits attacking options and only having 2 men rules out the maul as well. So it's a rubbish platform compared to what the lineout should be. If you're in the midst of an absolute fuster cluck of a lineout performance, which we've frankly seen at Tigers in recent years prior to Borthwick, then an abysmal platform is still better than not retaining the pill at all.

We see almost all sides lift jumpers with only one lifter when receiving restarts anyway. So it's not in any way a new skill either.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

After saying its a definite no,now it looks like SA could be joining the 6 Nations from 2025. With CVC having their fingers in every pie and the SA club teams being allowed to join the European competitions from next season I can see it happening. And I for one love it! The home nations and France in a competition every year playing SA? Yes please!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Not seen the full story, is the plan to make it 7 nations or are Itlay being cast adrift and being told they are not good enough.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

No thanks. We would lose our South African players as well as our English ones.
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Italy are Six Nations shareholders aren't they? So I don't see how they'd be cast aside.

I also hope they aren't. For a long while I've supported a divisional Six Nations tournament with promotion and relegation. I think it would be more interesting to watch, develop smaller rugby nations better and increase pressure on the old 5 Nations teams to keep improving.

If SA are joining a two tier structure with yearly promotion and relegation then I think it could work very well. How you'd get that past the Six Nations boards who would naturally fear relegation and reduced revenue from the lower tier I have absolutely no idea.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:28 pm No thanks. We would lose our South African players as well as our English ones.
That is a good point, not good for clubs or players. SA players are hired across Europe based on thier ability to cover the 6 Naitons period. Suddenly they would be far less attractive and could find themselves struggling for employment. If it becase a 7 Nations I am not sure how clubs would cope. Another week or 2 without players, more players lost to SA, squads would be thread bare for a large chunk of the season and that could cause serious damge to the club game. How could you justify employing SA players if you were going to lose them for pre season for their Southern Hemisphere commitments, over Autumn for the internationals and then for the 6 Nations. That level of commitment to international rugby could only be covered by central contracts.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If SA joined the 6N they wouldn't be in the RC too ,that's what I'm gathering. Talks of Japan taking their place