LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerReggie

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by TigerReggie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:56 am
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:58 pm I hope we can somehow keep Tommy Reffell, the guy is seriously good.
I wonder if at some point a club will challenge the WRU in court over that rule
I've always thought it a form of discrimination almost (if that's the right word) to not pick someone for international honours based on what country they play their rugby.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerReggie wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:29 am
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:58 pm I hope we can somehow keep Tommy Reffell, the guy is seriously good.
I've always thought it a form of discrimination almost (if that's the right word) to not pick someone for international honours based on what country they play their rugby.
We also do the same here in England...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

No one has a right to play for their country though. Its a privelege to be selected. You can also argue that as Reffell won't be released for half the training sessions and some of the matches that he isn't in a position to be selected.

Not convinced this selection rule has made much difference to the regions domestic struggles though.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:37 am

We also do the same here in England...
True but the English teams aren’t terrible. For example
players who go to Ireland to play for the national team tend to actually play for them and the teams are very competitive. Wales tell players to come back from abroad, play for bad club sides and then they don’t play for Wales.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:57 am

No one has a right to play for their country though. Its a privelege to be selected. You can also argue that as Reffell won't be released for half the training sessions and some of the matches that he isn't in a position to be selected.

Not convinced this selection rule has made much difference to the regions domestic struggles though.
They need to arrange better player release conditions then. I just feel that you should be picked to play internationally based on talent, not what country you play your rugby.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerReggie wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:21 am

They need to arrange better player release conditions then. I just feel that you should be picked to play internationally based on talent, not what country you play your rugby.
Pre professional you would have been right. Now a players main employer their club wants compensation if their players are called up. Other than the recognised international window that isn’t agreed with other than England. Don’t be surprised to see some premiership clubs pick their non English internationals during the 6 nations rest weekend
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

What I can't quite get my head around is whether things have changed with the Welsh selection policy. For Picac to say that the reason Reffell isn't being selected is because he is playing in England is baffling.

Where was Jonah Holmes playing when he got his first cap? Where was Thomas Young when he got his first, second and most recent caps? Where is Callum Sheedy playing his rugby?

It's utter PR nonsense to get Welsh players playing in Wales (IMHO). With the regions being in such a state, I wonder if he'd also have to take a pay cut to move too?
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Rees-Zammit seems to manage just fine being at a non-Welsh club...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

cheltexile wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:14 pm Rees-Zammit seems to manage just fine being at a non-Welsh club...
As does the Bristol 10, maybe they look upon the West Country as sequestered territory
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

exactly its up to the WRU to make the same deal with Prem Rugby that England made, how long before Louis Rees-Zammit has to leave Gloucerster? Reffell has been here his entire Rugby life
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:48 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:47 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:41 pm

Ladygaga is a liability scrummaging at TH though. I wouldn’t be at ease if Cole was injured next game and England kept Heyes. That was more my point
Yeah it would be an uncomfortable game if we had no Cole and no Heyes. Particularly if that game meant no Genge at loosehead because Genge and Montoya and then Hurd I'd think would manage. Whitcombe, Montoya and Hurd would be more of a challenge though wasn't it Whitcombe, Dolly, Hurd that did a job Vs Connaught last season?
Yes I believe it was ,very impressive. Maybe Sale too iirc?
I can't remember Vs Sale, not to mean they didn't play against them. Possibly Vs Ulster in Europe as well.

I don't think they'll be dominant but they did a job for us as a very young combination last season. Hurd when he did play looked like a big lad with potential. He's had some Championship game time but that seems to have gone quiet, maybe he's picked up an injury. Hopefully he's fit for next weekend so Dan can have a well earned week off.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:32 pm

exactly its up to the WRU to make the same deal with Prem Rugby that England made, how long before Louis Rees-Zammit has to leave Gloucerster? Reffell has been here his entire Rugby life
Not quite he was at ospreys academy before us
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

cheltexile wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:14 pm Rees-Zammit seems to manage just fine being at a non-Welsh club...
As does Dan Biggar
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:15 pm
As does the Bristol 10, maybe they look upon the West Country as sequestered territory
Its not as black and white though , if you have 60 caps you can play in any country and play for wales and an exception to the rule is call ups for uncapped players currently contracted outside of Wales – to keep their eligibility a newly capped player will be required to return to Wales at the expiration of the contract in place at the point of call up.

The system is not retrospective and allows players currently contracted outside of Wales to be selected during the term of their current deals.

In other words tommy reffell could be selected , but then at the end of his contract with us he would have to move to wales
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

dunks43 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:15 pm
Its not as black and white though , if you have 60 caps you can play in any country and play for wales and an exception to the rule is call ups for uncapped players currently contracted outside of Wales – to keep their eligibility a newly capped player will be required to return to Wales at the expiration of the contract in place at the point of call up.

The system is not retrospective and allows players currently contracted outside of Wales to be selected during the term of their current deals.

In other words tommy reffell could be selected , but then at the end of his contract with us he would have to move to wales
Thanks for confirming.

What I don't quite get is why Picac has said publicly that the reason he isn't picking Reffell is because he's not playing in Wales when the exact exemptions you've flagged are in existence.

He seems to be pressuring Reffell to head to a Welsh region with no guarantees of international selection when players from within the Prem are already being selected for Wales.

I'd love Tigers to dangle a really long contract in front of Reffell with incremental increases year on year. I know it won't happen but.....