Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: GP / Six Nations plus others - w/e 04-06th February 2022

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

fentiger wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:39 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:23 pm Sale ripping a depleted Quins to bits at the moment. Roebuck on the wing looking very good again.
With the return of a few key men they will be a team to watch 2nd half of the season
Quins in freefall?
Quins run to the title last season started during the 6N period, till then they were a lower mid table team. They then lost none of, their players, not Marler, Smith or Dombrant.

This year they're losing vital players and I think they'll struggle through the 6N period more than other clubs who are more accustomed to dealing without their stars
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Highlights how much of a stupid handicap playing 6/7 games during the six nations is
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:44 pm Highlights how much of a stupid handicap playing 6/7 games during the six nations is
I’m not being argumentative but what is the alternative? Can you squeeze in all the games outside the 6N?

I genuinely don’t know ao just asking the question
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

FT Quins 14 Sale 36

So 5 points for us and 0 for Quins and only 1 point for Exeter. Decent weekend for us
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:48 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:44 pm Highlights how much of a stupid handicap playing 6/7 games during the six nations is
I’m not being argumentative but what is the alternative? Can you squeeze in all the games outside the 6N?

Lets not forget it's made worse by clubs having bye weeks now as we decided a 13 team league was better...

This means clubs with bye weeks during internationals have an advantage over those who's bye weeks are outside international periods
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Is it my imagination or do France always start off with Italy in the six nations ?
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

England get a TBP win v Italy next week,Wales beat Scotland and France beat Ireland and it’s game on again!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I always associate the Italian anthem with Casto whipping himself into an absolute frenzy pre match
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=808143 time=1644159296 user_id=34255]
[quote=DeadlyDunc post_id=808141 time=1644158926 user_id=11714]
[quote=RagingBull post_id=808139 time=1644158643 user_id=10459]
Highlights how much of a stupid handicap playing 6/7 games during the six nations is
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lets not forget it's made worse by clubs having bye weeks now as we decided a 13 team league was better...

This means clubs with bye weeks during internationals have an advantage over those who's bye weeks are outside international periods
[/quote]

Suppose it depends which clubs have the bye - some, without many 6 nations internationals, traditionally gain during the tournament.
The issue of playing club games at this time has been going on for years, and the only 'solution' has been the introduction of the play-offs.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

nicmattyg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:48 pm
TigerReggie wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:56 pm Play players in their correct positions. Pick players on form. Eddie is stale as hell. Getting worse. About time Scotland won the thing.
The man’s ego is so big he thinks he knows the players positions better than the club coaches who work with them every day of the week. Even worse he’ll tell players they should be a different position so they have no choice but to have a go there as they all want to wear the rose. Usually this will be a couple of weeks training in the position then straight into the test arena under the highest pressure. Sink or swim time.

He really should’ve gone at the end of the last 6n after finishing 5th, but would it be better to swap him out now 18 months from a World Cup or look to rebuild after that?

He actually picked a pretty good squad of players but he’s trying too hard to be “innovative” instead of playing to the individual players strengths in their best positions IMO. The balance of the team/players/style of play seems off
I don’t specifically mean you, but some people are never happy. It’s a Morecambe & Wise sketch……It started as….he’s picking the wrong players ….then he’s picking them but in the wrong position !! That post…..most were playing in their normal positions. Next week I’m predicting…Lawes comes back with Hill, Ludlam and Isiekwe move out….they’ll be uproar. Jones can’t win, if I were him I’d see my contract out, retire to Japan and sit and watch the circus continue under another coach. We’ll be on here wondering if he’d take the job back.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:12 pm How many England players were actually out of position yesterday, compared to where they play in the Prem?

15. Freddie Steward 100% in position
14. Max Malins started on the wing a couple of times for Sarries this season, and the majority of his appearances for Bristol last season were on the wing
13. Elliot Daly played at outside centre 95 times in the Premiership
12. Henry Slade started at 12 for a large part of the season when they won the league in 2017
11. Joe Marchant started a handful of games on the wing for Quins over the last few years
10. Marcus Smith 100% in position
9. Ben Youngs 100% in position
1. Ellis Genge 100% in position
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie 100% in position
3. Kyle Sinckler 100% in position
4. Maro Itoje 100% in position
5. Nick Isiekwe half his career at 6, the other half in the 2nd row
6. Lewis Ludlam 100% in position
7. Tom Curry (c) 100% in position
8. Sam Simmonds 100% in position

So, arguably Slade and Marchant? So England lost because Slade, a player known for being able to play 10/12 in addition to his usual 13 played at 12, and a very quick centre played on the wing where he has only occasionally played before? I don't buy it, sorry.
Elliott Daly has played two England caps at outside centre, the last time in 2017. Henry Slade has played the majority of his international career at OC. So, look at that back division again and only Freddie Steward was in his normal position. Maybe you're right and the fact the back division looked ineffective for the whole game despite almost total forward dominance was just a one off. Or maybe this idea of hybrid players who can play in multiple positions across the backline and still be test match level wherever they're picked is a tiny bit flawed.

That and the insistence on kicking, kicking and more kicking. Whether it be high bombs from the full back, box kicks from the scrum half or kicks in behind from centres. It's all a bit predictable.
Last edited by Postiger2 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:54 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:48 pm

Start with not playing 2 Prem Cup games outside the international window games.

April 1st-3rd is also a free weekend I think due to the prem cup.

3 weekends potentially saved
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:03 pm
nicmattyg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:48 pm
TigerReggie wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:56 pm Play players in their correct positions. Pick players on form. Eddie is stale as hell. Getting worse. About time Scotland won the thing.
The man’s ego is so big he thinks he knows the players positions better than the club coaches who work with them every day of the week. Even worse he’ll tell players they should be a different position so they have no choice but to have a go there as they all want to wear the rose. Usually this will be a couple of weeks training in the position then straight into the test arena under the highest pressure. Sink or swim time.

He really should’ve gone at the end of the last 6n after finishing 5th, but would it be better to swap him out now 18 months from a World Cup or look to rebuild after that?

He actually picked a pretty good squad of players but he’s trying too hard to be “innovative” instead of playing to the individual players strengths in their best positions IMO. The balance of the team/players/style of play seems off
I don’t specifically mean you, but some people are never happy. It’s a Morecambe & Wise sketch……It started as….he’s picking the wrong players ….then he’s picking them but in the wrong position !! That post…..most were playing in their normal positions. Next week I’m predicting…Lawes comes back with Hill, Ludlam and Isiekwe move out….they’ll be uproar. Jones can’t win, if I were him I’d see my contract out, retire to Japan and sit and watch the circus continue under another coach. We’ll be on here wondering if he’d take the job back.
My guess is this is part of the reason Baxter is so hesitant about taking the job, dammed if you do dammed if you don't. Especially as you have so little time relative to actually work with your squad as opposed to a team in the prem.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Slade played 12 v SA not long ago and had by far his best game in an England shirt,short memories and all that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

My only gripe is Marchant should’ve started at 13 with Nowell on the wing but ZERO problems with the rest.