Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Scott1 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:29 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:57 pm Ashton good in defence?! 😭
Fair cop guv. You’ve got me banged to rights 😜
Loved him in his prime,he was a breath of fresh air! Those running lines though,only player who got close to me was Jonah Holmes. Would've loved to hold on to him
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:31 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:57 pm Ashton good in defence?! 😭
Loved him in his prime,he was a breath of fresh air! Those running lines though,only player who got close to me was Jonah Holmes. Would've loved to hold on to him
He was on a tiny contract with us top. Bet he regrets heading for Wales now. Odds are that he doesn't get another cap
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:42 pm

He was on a tiny contract with us top. Bet he regrets heading for Wales now. Odds are that he doesn't get another cap
They do have a crop of good wingers presently led by LRZ. I have enjoyed watching the big powerful winger Cardiff have recently though his name escapes me
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:03 pm
They do have a crop of good wingers presently led by LRZ. I have enjoyed watching the big powerful winger Cardiff have recently though his name escapes me
Owen Lane? They also have Sam Moore (English but Welsh Qualified) in their squad. He’s only made 8 appearances. Could be a cheap option if he wants more game time.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Wales did a classic tag and bag on Holmes’ career. Capped him and stored him. He’s not playing for Wales again.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LekkerTigers wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:40 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:03 pm

Owen Lane? They also have Sam Moore (English but Welsh Qualified) in their squad. He’s only made 8 appearances. Could be a cheap option if he wants more game time.
Thank you LT that’s the guy caused Quins all sorts of problems
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

loretta wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:39 am Wales did a classic tag and bag on Holmes’ career. Capped him and stored him. He’s not playing for Wales again.
Costelow, Reffell next.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:51 am
loretta wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:39 am Wales did a classic tag and bag on Holmes’ career. Capped him and stored him. He’s not playing for Wales again.
Costelow, Reffell next.
Hopefully the cynical dangling of international honours in front of Holmes to strengthen the regions will serve as a warning to others.

If I was a Welsh player at a club outside of Wales I'd be reluctant to move back there for international recognition unless I was already at least in the squad on a regular basis.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:03 pm
Costelow, Reffell next.
Hopefully the cynical dangling of international honours in front of Holmes to strengthen the regions will serve as a warning to others.

If I was a Welsh player at a club outside of Wales I'd be reluctant to move back there for international recognition unless I was already at least in the squad on a regular basis.
Exactly why we need to dangle a decent longterm contract in front of Reffell.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:31 pm

Costelow, Reffell next.

Of course people have their favourites but I don’t get the we must keep Reffell at all costs brigade. There are gaps in his game particularly offensively, just compare him to MVS
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

He reminds me of Salvi back in the day, excellent defensively, both at the breakdown and as a tackler. But at this stage doesn’t offer much ball in hand. Both as a carrier or link man.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pm He reminds me of Salvi back in the day, excellent defensively, both at the breakdown and as a tackler. But at this stage doesn’t offer much ball in hand. Both as a carrier or link man.
What we do need to remember is that certain players are reflective of the overall style of play. Let's be honest, we're playing primarily pragmatic rugby at the moment rather than expansive. He is good at what he does and can no doubt improve in the areas where he knows he needs to or is required to do for the overall benefit of the team. If he stays then I'm sure those skills will improve over time.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:37 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:31 pm

Of course people have their favourites but I don’t get the we must keep Reffell at all costs brigade. There are gaps in his game particularly offensively, just compare him to MVS
Keeping him is not the be all and end all, but player's like Reffell (especially if not being considered for Wales) is in some ways more important than internationals. Liebenberg for example is such an important player for us and more important to keep him than Van Staden.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:33 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pm He reminds me of Salvi back in the day, excellent defensively, both at the breakdown and as a tackler. But at this stage doesn’t offer much ball in hand. Both as a carrier or link man.
What we do need to remember is that certain players are reflective of the overall style of play. Let's be honest, we're playing primarily pragmatic rugby at the moment rather than expansive. He is good at what he does and can no doubt improve in the areas where he knows he needs to or is required to do for the overall benefit of the team. If he stays then I'm sure those skills will improve over time.
I think this is a great point. Reminds me of the Ben Youngs threads. He always plays better for England because his game is built on putting big runners through gaps, or taking advantage of the runners holding the defence and going himself. And England know how to do this where as Tigers couldn't organise a forward on a decent running line for about 3 seasons...