6 Nations Proposals rejected?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 Nations Proposals rejected?

Post by Cardiff Tig »

northerntiger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm While we’re all agreeing, play the prem cup over 5 weeks of the 6 nations and bin the autumn internationals.
Did you not enjoy the England v SA, Ireland v NZ and France v NZ games?!
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

With the AI's retained I would propose that there only 3 weekends that are allowed for them. That way the Prem cup could become an under 23's competition with a max of 3 overage players in the 23. 3 rounds of prem cup during AI weekends. Final round to be played on 1st weekend of 6nations, semi finals to be played on 3rd weekend, Final to be played on final weekend at a neutral ground. Prem clubs only required to release players on the Monday before the first match of AI's and 6N and players returned to clubs on the monday after.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I guess the problem is that the Autumn internationals are probably a reciprocal deal and so to have those in place, you also need to send a team to the Southern Hemisphere in the summer. They are basically cash cows for the Unions badly in need of funding and so they are going nowhere.

If things stay as they are, my personal opinion is that the agreement with the unions is that players are released for the 6 Nations or the Autumn internations but not both. That would give more players experience and so a wider squad to pick from when the World Cup comes around. Trouble is those matches are probably worth the best part of £100k to each player and so they are not going to want to reduce their England appearances, they want their rest on club time.

The other option would be to pick a development squad in Autumn and play smaller nations. Lets face it, you cna pretty much fill Twickenham no matter who England are playing. Again though, the Southern Hemisphere unions need that money that the Autumn internationals provide.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:23 am
northerntiger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm While we’re all agreeing, play the prem cup over 5 weeks of the 6 nations and bin the autumn internationals.
Did you not enjoy the England v SA, Ireland v NZ and France v NZ games?!
Not especially. I find it difficult to get too excited about one off games without a whole lot riding on them
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Personally, I enjoy watching two good teams play rugby, regardless of whether there's a trophy attached to the result. Whether you win a couple of AIs, or a World Cup, it's still just winning games of rugby. It's all as meaningless or meaningful as you want it to be.

As has been said, the AIs are a huge source of income and there's approximately zero chance of them being reduced/limited/removed to make club fans happy. I would love to see a club season in which international players are available every round, but the future of rugby is more likely to be the opposite, with international players available less and less - unless the club game suddenly becomes far more popular.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I agree, they won’t be scrapped, I understand the finances of it all. But I’d still prefer, in my ideal world, to have full strength prem teams going at each other, instead of what are effectively exhibition matches
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

northerntiger wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:44 pm I agree, they won’t be scrapped, I understand the finances of it all. But I’d still prefer, in my ideal world, to have full strength prem teams going at each other, instead of what are effectively exhibition matches
Me too, although I do enjoy the AIs. I'm more of a Tigers fan than an England fan, mostly because the atmosphere at games is better and the ticket prices aren't ridiculous...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:09 pm
You wash your mouth out! I love the AIs 😂👍
Bin the AIs.......Definitely.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Why not have one touring international team that plays each of the home nations plus a bar bars team, then selected clubs during their bye week.

I'll get me coat.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:54 pm
northerntiger wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:44 pm I agree, they won’t be scrapped, I understand the finances of it all. But I’d still prefer, in my ideal world, to have full strength prem teams going at each other, instead of what are effectively exhibition matches
Me too, although I do enjoy the AIs. I'm more of a Tigers fan than an England fan, mostly because the atmosphere at games is better and the ticket prices aren't ridiculous...
Spot on for me, with the exception that I don't even enjoy the AIs unless I have a recently emulsioned wall that needs watching while it dries!
As Good As It Gets
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The 6N is a European competition not an excuse to fund the Southern hemisphere teams who have their own championship.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I remember that when the "new stand" at Twickenham was opened many years ago, they extended the AI period for one more match to celebrate the opening with the assurance that it was for one year only - HA HA HA!!! I like the AI's but would reduce them by 1 and play them over a 4 week period of release. As for the 6N, yes please for promotion/relegation but only one match the week after the 6 nations and the whole thing to be played on successive weeks with one week prep time and no break. The players not involved in the P/R game have a rest week. Will that happen - not a chance.
Hehehehehehehehe