LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ay2oh »

Can’t read it as behind a paywall. Can anyone summarise the contents. Regarding Gopperth I trust Borthwicks opinion more than some on here.
A2O
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Dokie wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:39 am
dunc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:15 am We’re probably looking at next Autumn and thinking we could be without Pollard, Kelly, Moroni and Scott plus Steward and possibly Kini. Which would leave us very thin on the ground if we then throw in injuries and suspensions we could be in big trouble. Gopperth looks a sensible addition to me based on that.
Only Pollard and Moroni are likely to go from the midfield. Farrell will be back to nail down the England 12 shirt!!
Yes but it’s also not unlikely we lose all of them. All have featured for their country in the last 12 months. And you have to look at Full Back too given our back up 10s are also our back up 15 too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:57 am Can’t read it as behind a paywall. Can anyone summarise the contents. Regarding Gopperth I trust Borthwicks opinion more than some on here.
Look up archive.ph
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:07 am
ay2oh wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:57 am Can’t read it as behind a paywall. Can anyone summarise the contents. Regarding Gopperth I trust Borthwicks opinion more than some on here.
Look up archive.ph
Just get a site not found message. I'm guessing it will be a few days till it goes to archive?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I just checked it’s up did you copy the article link into the top bar?
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:51 am I just checked it’s up did you copy the article link into the top bar?
Yeah i think so. Pasting the below

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... archive.ph
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

watsonjm wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:04 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:51 am I just checked it’s up did you copy the article link into the top bar?
Yeah i think so. Pasting the below

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... archive.ph
No don't paste that

Go to:

archive.ph

Then halfway down paste this link in the search bar on that page

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... er-tigers/
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I think Gopperth is an astute signing. It's a year, he won't be on a huge amount (I always assumed Wasps had financial difficulties anyway, still waiting for the winding up order...) and I doubt it's linked to Moroni/Scott who presumably are very much a separate line item in the budget ("starting centres") to Socino, Taute et al. Plus if we can't hang on to both, he's shown he can do a job, as well as mitigate Pollard's probable unavailability during the autumn. Also the only player other than Lancaster that can cover both 10/12.

We're still quite a young/inexperienced squad relative to some, and are losing two older heads (not to mention very experienced Prem operators in Genge and Ford - Pollard is great but hasn't had to do the grind in England in the same way) so it couldn't hurt to have an extra wiser head around.

Wonder if it means Wigglesworth is moving "upstairs" this summer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

WildGoose wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 am I think Gopperth is an astute signing. It's a year, he won't be on a huge amount (I always assumed Wasps had financial difficulties anyway, still waiting for the winding up order...) and I doubt it's linked to Moroni/Scott who presumably are very much a separate line item in the budget ("starting centres") to Socino, Taute et al. Plus if we can't hang on to both, he's shown he can do a job, as well as mitigate Pollard's probable unavailability during the autumn. Also the only player other than Lancaster that can cover both 10/12.

We're still quite a young/inexperienced squad relative to some, and are losing two older heads (not to mention very experienced Prem operators in Genge and Ford - Pollard is great but hasn't had to do the grind in England in the same way) so it couldn't hurt to have an extra wiser head around.

If Wigglesworth does move upstairs then I'd suggest one of either Law or Edwards needs to be ready to step up. The likelihood of one of JvP or Youngs being involved in the England set up is high and we need either one of them to be ready or we need a scrum half signing...
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:11 am
WildGoose wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 am I think Gopperth is an astute signing. It's a year, he won't be on a huge amount (I always assumed Wasps had financial difficulties anyway, still waiting for the winding up order...) and I doubt it's linked to Moroni/Scott who presumably are very much a separate line item in the budget ("starting centres") to Socino, Taute et al. Plus if we can't hang on to both, he's shown he can do a job, as well as mitigate Pollard's probable unavailability during the autumn. Also the only player other than Lancaster that can cover both 10/12.

If Wigglesworth does move upstairs then I'd suggest one of either Law or Edwards needs to be ready to step up. The likelihood of one of JvP or Youngs being involved in the England set up is high and we need either one of them to be ready or we need a scrum half signing...
Very good point, although I suspect even with EJ's slightly "out of the blue" selection policy, JvP is a fair way down the list. To be clear, I absolutely wouldn't swap him for Quirke, Randall, Mitchell et al but suspect they are shinier and more exciting for the time being.

Youngs will probably go through the World Cup, at least the squad I think (though 18 months is a long time in rugby), then probably a new coach will go in another direction. I know he gets pelters in the media and on even sometimes here but still in my view the best 9 in the country and has been for a long time. We will miss him.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

WildGoose wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:04 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:11 am

Very good point, although I suspect even with EJ's slightly "out of the blue" selection policy, JvP is a fair way down the list. To be clear, I absolutely wouldn't swap him for Quirke, Randall, Mitchell et al but suspect they are shinier and more exciting for the time being.

Youngs will probably go through the World Cup, at least the squad I think (though 18 months is a long time in rugby), then probably a new coach will go in another direction. I know he gets pelters in the media and on even sometimes here but still in my view the best 9 in the country and has been for a long time. We will miss him.
I'm beginning to think Ben has only a short shelf life left with England, after the 6N I see Jones opting for Randall and Quirke as his future and that we may well have Ben full time next year. Is Edwards ahead of Law in our pecking order?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would be amazed if Eddie drops youngs 1 year from the rwc
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I agree RB, though I do think that EJ is prone to being quite hasty with the axe so would hate to see BY suffer the same fate. I would argue that this has hurt Hartley, Cole, Care and both Vunipolas in particular, though at least George and Daly seem to have shown you can get back in his thoughts.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

WildGoose wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:47 pm I agree RB, though I do think that EJ is prone to being quite hasty with the axe so would hate to see BY suffer the same fate. I would argue that this has hurt Hartley, Cole, Care and both Vunipolas in particular, though at least George and Daly seem to have shown you can get back in his thoughts.
Personally I think Eddie will keep him around for the WC even if not as a starter
CrumbieGrumbler

Post by CrumbieGrumbler »

I agree, I think he will be the starter.

The competition between Quirke and Randall definitely seems likes it's for the 'finisher' position. Those 2 coming through can only be a good thing as well because there hasn't been a nailed on 2nd choice under Eddie since Care