LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AViewFromLe2

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:38 pm
iceman_19 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:08 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:47 pm I wouldn’t say fact just yet.

Do wish we would announce some contracts
It IS a fact that we've been talking to him. Whether or not he would sign for us or not is a completely different question however and very much up in the air.

Ok how do you know it’s a fact
In the same way you wouldn't reveal your sources if we asked, neither should we reveal ours. We spoke about this on the pod because we had spent the week trying to investigate it. We had received a tip off last week that talks between us and Marler were progressing, so we used the sources we have both got and trust and asked them about it. The answers we got back gave us the confidence to say what we did on the pod. We would not have gone ahead with even saying what we did, if we were not confident in what we had been told.

If you want to play semantics - we are 99% confident that we have been speaking with Marler. We are 99% confident that Marler is at least interested in the idea of joining Tigers. We are 99% confident that Marler and ourselves are in advanced talks. We are also very confident that if Marler does want to leave Quins, we would be the leading option available.

Whether Marler actually joins us or not is a different question. For all the reasons that have been mentioned previously, there is an awful long way before he signs. There is also a large difference between us saying we have been talking and Marler actally joining - both of which we made clear on the pod.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The difference between what Ragingbull has posted and the post being referred to as fact, is that RB has posted what may be happening and has not stated it as fact. Nobody is asking for sources to be revealed but if you are stating it as a fact it needs to be followed up with some confirmation, even if it it is a reliable source.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 pm The difference between what Ragingbull has posted and the post being referred to as fact, is that RB has posted what may be happening and has not stated it as fact. Nobody is asking for sources to be revealed but if you are stating it as a fact it needs to be followed up with some confirmation, even if it it is a reliable source.
We don’t need to do anything of the sort. If we say it’s a fact, it’s because we believe it is, and if people choose not to believe it then that is up to them and no problem. One of the contacts who provided the confirmation is the same who confirmed Pollard had signed a week before it was announced, but if people choose not to believe it that’s absolutely fine.

Even if you don’t agree with the above, I’d argue it is far more of a stretch to think we would NOT be speaking to him given that we have lost one international loosehead for next season and there is another international loosehead who may be available.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I think it’s a fact when proven until then it’s speculation and supposition
I'm not cynical just experienced
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TBF I didn't know Iceman is (Elliot? or Mike) or asking for any sources to be named or remotely revealed.

My point is more from experience I've been told plenty of times (Especially previous regimes) oh yeh we are talking 100% talking to such and such only to hear from someone close to said player that it's 100% rubbish now granted it's either party could be lying so who really knows bar the eventual biography.

I certainly understand the logic in the signing from both parties especially with Harlequins forking out what you would imagine good pay raises for the likes of Dombrand, (Assume Marcus is marquee), Green, Northmore etc.

But as of this time it's still speculation that Marler does indeed have a option of a 3rd year rather than a contracted 3rd year, whereas Saint-Andre had leaked Ford did have a clause. People who work for Harlequins seem to think he's contracted for another 18 months but would imagine Tigers employees depending how far up the ladder would've thought the same thing about Genge, Tigers players obviously do but does that mean other clubs have it? Tigers had a massive split in terms of accepting pay cuts which didn't seem to happen everywhere else.

Aside from that don't take it personally very much a fan of the podcast and do feel it among one of the most well done fan podcasts in the club game.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:31 pm TBF I didn't know Iceman is (Elliot? or Mike) or asking for any sources to be named or remotely revealed.

My point is more from experience I've been told plenty of times (Especially previous regimes) oh yeh we are talking 100% talking to such and such only to hear from someone close to said player that it's 100% rubbish now granted it's either party could be lying so who really knows bar the eventual biography.

I certainly understand the logic in the signing from both parties especially with Harlequins forking out what you would imagine good pay raises for the likes of Dombrand, (Assume Marcus is marquee), Green, Northmore etc.

But as of this time it's still speculation that Marler does indeed have a option of a 3rd year rather than a contracted 3rd year, whereas Saint-Andre had leaked Ford did have a clause. People who work for Harlequins seem to think he's contracted for another 18 months but would imagine Tigers employees depending how far up the ladder would've thought the same thing about Genge, Tigers players obviously do but does that mean other clubs have it? Tigers had a massive split in terms of accepting pay cuts which didn't seem to happen everywhere else.

Aside from that don't take it personally very much a fan of the podcast and do feel it among one of the most well done fan podcasts in the club game.
I'm Mike - the Iceman name is a very short-lived nickname which I had at Uni, which was swiftly overtaken by a much more appropriate Pumba.

Tone is always hard to read on these boards but rest assured I didn't see it as an insult, just as I hope you don't think I'm being rude when I say you can believe what you want - that is absolutely your prerogative. And you are right in saying it won't become canon until something is either announced officially by either club or it comes from the horses mouth.

But from our perspective, we absolutely have been talking to Marler, and people can take that as they wish and there's no issue either way. We don't know if it will be successful, there are some rumours as outlined in other posts (which I have also heard but I am far less confident in) that there is a bit of bad blood between Marler and the management side of Quins, but the straight up cold facts (aside from what sources have told us) of what we're looking for, for how long and what he may want to achieve in his career may make a switch far more likely than many seem to think.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:08 pm
anz3001 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm Don’t discount lingering feelings of poor treatment.

I expect it had an influence on Ford and Genge’s decision making and I expect it will with Marler too. He’s been quite open about the Quins upper management.
Was Marler close with Mike Brown at all? He was very vocal when he left about his poor treatment by Quins...
https://www.ruck.co.uk/report-joe-marle ... tic-tweet/
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:03 pm I mean it actually does hold water though.
We lost our two best players because they wanted to be with family.

Marlers family is all down that way.
Yes, but it’s becoming less of a reason to move I would say. If anything, players are more open to trying different cultures, areas etc I can’t think of many other players that have moved to be nearer to families in recent times, or should I say thats what they’ve said in terms of a reason to move.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Seems to be a fair few announcements going on elsewhere at the moment so hoping for some more news of our own soon even if it is contract extensions and a replacement for Genge.

I wonder if it was SB or someone else who pulled the rug on the popcorn days if they saw them as over-frivolous. I enjoyed them, a new announcement every half hour.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I suspect the lack of any announcements is more due to the salary cap stuff, not a great look announcing big signings in the middle of an investigation
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:40 pm I suspect the lack of any announcements is more due to the salary cap stuff, not a great look announcing big signings in the middle of an investigation
Maybe - but those issues (if there were any) were described as ‘historic’ so one would hope they wouldn’t affect any current or future negotiations.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Seems to me that the players who move/stay to be near family are a very small minority. Probably mostly limited to England/France/Ireland internationals who don't need to move abroad to fulfil their playing/financial potential - which would include Marler if he's that way inclined regarding family. But then Leicester is hardly a million miles away from Sussex.

We'll find out soon enough.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I shouldn’t be surprised if we see more player churn than we’re used to, as squads have to be trimmed to the new level of cap. And dropping to 1 marquee could leave a lot of high earners looking around.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:05 pm Seems to me that the players who move/stay to be near family are a very small minority. Probably mostly limited to England/France/Ireland internationals who don't need to move abroad to fulfil their playing/financial potential - which would include Marler if he's that way inclined regarding family. But then Leicester is hardly a million miles away from Sussex.

We'll find out soon enough.
Totally agree and for all we know the Marlers could have decided to set up a small holding and raise rare breads of cattle { this is guess work not fact} but you would get more acreage for you buck in rural East Midlands rather than the south coast.
Sounds reasonable but it is all guess work.
I’m sure Big Joe was seen at Oval park but he could have been visiting Coley and helping with his wife’s flower delivery
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It’s interesting really I think if it was up to Borthwick we wouldn’t have announced Pollard when we did if not for trying to calm down supporters.