LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:11 pm Rolling Maul Podcast suggesting Tigers are in "advanced talks" with both Marler and Radwan.

Hard to tell credibility as with all rumours, but I seem to recall the Rolling Maul Podcast getting Pollard's signing right...?!?!?

We can only hope!!
Ohhh those would be some tasty signings!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:11 pm Rolling Maul Podcast suggesting Tigers are in "advanced talks" with both Marler and Radwan.

Hard to tell credibility as with all rumours, but I seem to recall the Rolling Maul Podcast getting Pollard's signing right...?!?!?

We can only hope!!
“Advanced talks” with Marler
“Initial talks” with Radwan :smt002
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

iceman_19 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:44 pm

We can only hope!!
“Advanced talks” with Marler
“Initial talks” with Radwan :smt002
I apologise! Selective hearing on my part!! :smt002
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So how about
1. Marler
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Kruis
5. Chessum
6. Liebenberg
7. Van Staden
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Pollard
11. Radwan
12. Kelly
13. Scott
14. Potter
15. Steward

16. Dolly
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Wells
20. Martin/Reffell
21. JVP
22. Hegarty
23. Moroni

Oh to dream lol
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tom Cowan Dickie returns to pirates on a 5 week loan deal
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

For the life of me I just cannot see why Marler would come to us. It just wouldn’t make sense for either party, given he’d be playing for England probably as well.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:08 pm For the life of me I just cannot see why Marler would come to us. It just wouldn’t make sense for either party, given he’d be playing for England probably as well.
I can see the sense in it. I would argue a better scrummager than Genge, solid in the loose and durable, regularly plays 80+ minutes at a consistent level. Ok, we lose him for internationals, but then no change there then, with losing Genge. Radwan is a mouth-watering prospect, with our pack giving him front foot ball and space.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Marler and Radwan would be brilliant signings if they were options, with players like Taute, Van Wyk, Simmons, T Youngs, Wigglesworth, Olowofela all looking like they will be in the departure lounge at the end of the season we certainly should have some cash in the bank!!
Tigerjoe1

Post by Tigerjoe1 »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:08 pm For the life of me I just cannot see why Marler would come to us. It just wouldn’t make sense for either party, given he’d be playing for England probably as well.
Maybe he fancies a change in life, Leicestershire is still rural for him. Rugby wise I think it makes perfect sense for us, we're losing a top level Loosehead and we'd be getting one back who is still at the top of their game and he'd be with us just long enough for us to develop another.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think I'm right in saying that Tom Youngs, Taute, Simmons and Olowofela have not played this season, so not part of the cap. Although they still cost actual money so of course a saving from that point of view.

I don't know what Van Wyk is on, but I would guess not cheap considering his record in Super Rugby, so perhaps enough to cover Radwan's wage? Assuming VW is indeed leaving.

Marler would surely be similar money to Genge, so that makes sense to me. Not as good a carrier as Genge but better defensively and roughly equal in the scrum. Missing from England just the same as Genge. Maybe Marler fancies a change, maybe front row is where Quins want to make their cap savings.

However, that's just keeping the wage bill at the same level that it currently is, which is obviously not sufficient given that the cap is reducing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Disagree.

From Marler's perspective, Quins could be looking for his position being an area to cut the cap, we have cap space due to being one of the few clubs with a large Loosehead vacancy so we may be able to match his wage demands better than Quins.

From our perspective, we have 2 good backups Van Wyk and Leatigaga. We also have a real potential up and coming in Whitcombe so we want a top class operator who we are able to coevr in international windows but who adds to the squad outside international windows and who can develop Whitcombe till he's an out and out starter.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Marler rumour seems to be growing legs. AFAIK he has a large young family so he maybe fancies a couple of years playing with his old mate Coley and will live in his tree house when required. No different to Ford or Genge spending 2 or 3 days a week in their new homes
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Don’t get me wrong, I think he would be a great asset for us. But from what I know, read and see of him I would be surprised if he were to uproot his family and/or himself or spend time away from them to play for us. I would put him very much in the Ford and Genge bracket in that respect in terms of wanting to stay close to family. I guess we will see. I’d be delighted to be wrong.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'm sure I've heard it mentioned previously on a podcast or similar that Marler lives out in the sticks and not in town. If that's his preference then he could achieve similar with a smaller commute in Leicestershire. Whether his family are happy in that neck of the woods or not I don't know but they'd be able to afford a larger property up in Leicestershire than down in London commuter belt, his salary would also go further which might help with school fees. Things to consider with a large family.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:08 pm I'm sure I've heard it mentioned previously on a podcast or similar that Marler lives out in the sticks and not in town. If that's his preference then he could achieve similar with a smaller commute in Leicestershire. Whether his family are happy in that neck of the woods or not I don't know but they'd be able to afford a larger property up in Leicestershire than down in London commuter belt, his salary would also go further which might help with school fees. Things to consider with a large family.
Joe has his own excellent podcast now, with frequent guest presenter the Colar Bear