SALE (A) - Sunday 30th January 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: SALE (A) - Sunday 30th January 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Scott1 »

Apparently some players could be released from England camp so they arnt undercooked for the Scotland game. Sanderson has said Curry could be playing against us. If that's the case then our players should all be released as our fixture was cancelled.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

For me Clare is the starter and Dolly the finisher.

If we do get players back from England, history tells us that Borthwick will probably only start them if they're back in time to train during the week leading up to the game.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

There's more chance of knitting fog than being anywhere near close to predicting who Borthwick will pick. I do agree that now Clare is getting into his stride, he should be starting. Dolly has been superb and should be on the bench. Hegarty at 10. As for the rest, who knows ?!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:01 pm There's more chance of knitting fog than being anywhere near close to predicting who Borthwick will pick. I do agree that now Clare is getting into his stride, he should be starting. Dolly has been superb and should be on the bench. Hegarty at 10. As for the rest, who knows ?!
Montoya still available so whoever will be on the bench. I was just saying that imo Clare is better than Dolly, no matter how good Dolly has been. We are very fortunate to have such a strong stable of hookers.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Agree. Charlie Clare definitely back into it and edges it for me tho Dolly does do things he can’t and vice versa.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Goshengareth wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:23 pm Agree. Charlie Clare definitely back into it and edges it for me tho Dolly does do things he can’t and vice versa.
Both are fantastic but Clare is 30 and Dolly is still only 22 so would be keen to see us focus on developing him. He's already had his first international call up and with Montoya being first choice and available (injury permitting) for the rest of the season now I reckon we will see Clare and Dolly alternating a fair bit. Luxury of choice is a great place to be
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd be starting Montoya against Sale away. Worcester at home next weekend would be a good chance to rest him or rotate to the bench. Without Sutherland the Worcester LHs aren't strong and Cole will be available. Even if Rodd is retained Sale will have Schonert and Oosthuizen at TH, Ashman and Taylor at hooker, Harrison and McIntyre at LH.

1.Whitcombe
2.Montoya
3.Cole
4.Wells
5.Snyman
6.Martin
7.Reffell
8.Wiese

9.Wigglesworth
10.Burns

11.Saumaki
12.Kelly
13.Moroni
14.Potter
15.Hegarty

16.Clare
17.van Wyk
18.Leatigaga
19.Green
20.Hanro/Robinson
21.JvP
22.Porter
23.Kini

I'd probably go with something like that. I know Reffell has played a lot but up against the Sale back row I'd keep him for continuity then rotate him out against Worcester when Hanro will hopefully be ready to start.

If Heyes and Chessum are released (presuming fringe players the more likely to return to clubs) then they'd come onto the bench for van Wyk and Green respectively.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Remember this is a 5 day camp so I imagine it won’t be like a week between internationals, and there won’t be any early releases. The best we can hope for is Eddie letting us have a few under under cooked back for Bench cover. Imo that could be any of the 6 bar Genge and Steward
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

No way I see Lenny being released back either. Even Ford would be a risk now as one of 2 fly-halves in the squad.

I could see Heyes and Chessum released for Tigers and Bevan Rodd for Sale.

Rumours are that Tom Curry might be released depending on his match fitness during the week. To be fair Curry has 6 starts this season to Genge and Stewards 11 starts each for comparison. Between a rest after the Lions tour and Sale's two postponed/cancelled games in a row he has played less than some. As an England fan, not even taking into account the Tigers-Sale game, I'd probably prefer he be saved for the Calcutta Cup. Curry is absolutely vital for England.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:11 pm I'd be starting Montoya against Sale away. Worcester at home next weekend would be a good chance to rest him or rotate to the bench. Without Sutherland the Worcester LHs aren't strong and Cole will be available. Even if Rodd is retained Sale will have Schonert and Oosthuizen at TH, Ashman and Taylor at hooker, Harrison and McIntyre at LH.

1.Whitcombe
2.Montoya
3.Cole
4.Wells
5.Snyman
6.Martin
7.Reffell
8.Wiese

9.Wigglesworth
10.Burns

11.Saumaki
12.Kelly
13.Moroni
14.Potter
15.Hegarty

16.Clare
17.van Wyk
18.Leatigaga
19.Green
20.Hanro/Robinson
21.JvP
22.Porter
23.Kini

I'd probably go with something like that. I know Reffell has played a lot but up against the Sale back row I'd keep him for continuity then rotate him out against Worcester when Hanro will hopefully be ready to start.

If Heyes and Chessum are released (presuming fringe players the more likely to return to clubs) then they'd come onto the bench for van Wyk and Green respectively.
Liking your thinking, a very good squad to get the job done.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Schonert limped out of the Ospreys game as I recall, so may not feature, or be risked.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Whitcombe
Montoya (c)
Cole
Wells
Snyman
Martin
Reffell
Weise
JvP
Burns
Saumaki
Kelly
Moroni
Potter
Murimurivalu

Clare
F Van Wyk
Leitigaga
Green
Robinson
Wigglesworth
Hegarty
Scott
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Off to Sale where I’ve rarely seen us win and Sale have discovered their form and have A. J. McGinty back who until he sadly got injured at the end of last season was in excellent form.
I just hope our players aren’t needing a game or two to get used to each other!
Sale will only be missing a couple of players so it’s another difficult game to eek out a win.
As usual I’m nervous about this Six Nations Period.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I trust Steve. I just don't trust my ability to second guess his team! Assuming all england players are away and all else fit, I would go for

Front row. Van Wyk, Montoya, Cole, subs Whitcombe, Dolly, Leatigaga. I feel the time to start Whitcombe is next week. All subs should have an impact. If Montoya didn't start, I would start Clare.

2nd and back row. Snyman, Wells, Liebenberg, Van Staden, Wiese subs Martin and Reffell. We need a decent strong pack. I suspect of those Van staden is least likely so would be Robinson to the bench, or possibly start.

Half back. Wigglesworth and Burns. Subs Jvp. Tough one but Wigglesworth may give more control and jvp more impact

Centre. Take your pick. Scott and Kelly sub Moroni

Back 3. Nadolo, Hegarty, Potter, sub, Muri. Tough on Porter but we need a sub who can fully cover either 10 or 15

I dont generally like a 6 2 bench but away at Sale with two returning backrowers it crossed my mind, but I happen to have both Dolly and Muri in the bench just in case :smt001
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just a thought. I’m sure that when there were highlights reels of Harry Potter, he was playing 15. Anyone else feel he was make a great Steward replacement given the number of wing options we have