LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:03 am Rugby paper saying we are looking at Teimana Harrison
Personally, I've never been that impressed by him. But, what do I know..... 😂
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:42 pm Nik Simon of the Mail reporting "Jimmy Gopperth looks destined for Leicester"
Good replacement for Socino as a 10/12 player, perfect guy for Lancaster to learn from too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:25 am
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:42 pm Nik Simon of the Mail reporting "Jimmy Gopperth looks destined for Leicester"
Good replacement for Socino as a 10/12 player, perfect guy for Lancaster to learn from too.
Agreed. Would be happy to see him at Tigers
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:04 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:03 am Rugby paper saying we are looking at Teimana Harrison
Not gonna lie, this rumour concerns me, especially when we've brought Robinson in as temp cover at 7.

Our options at 7 are
Van Staden
Reffell
Robinson (short term but may look to extend)
Ilione

With reduced cap that's quite a bit of depth. So unless it's a choice between him and Robinson who replaces Brink it concerns me that another 7 may be off which makes it likely Reffell is listening to Pivac about needing to play in Wales for Welsh honours.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:32 am
Not gonna lie, this rumour concerns me, especially when we've brought Robinson in as temp cover at 7.

Our options at 7 are
Van Staden
Reffell
Ilione

With reduced cap that's quite a bit of depth. So unless it's a choice between him and Robinson who replaces Brink it concerns me that another 7 may be off which makes it likely Reffell is listening to Pivac about needing to play in Wales for Welsh honours.
Sadly I’m thinking the same. I’m sure everyone would want the chance to represent their country and sadly we have seen this scenario before. Reffell is a huge talent and while MVS is an exceptional player at 7 we are very lucky to have 2 quality 7s and with MVS missing for the start of each season Reffell is ideal for us just now given his lack of International call ups
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:37 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:32 am

Our options at 7 are
Van Staden
Reffell
Ilione

Sadly I’m thinking the same. I’m sure everyone would want the chance to represent their country and sadly we have seen this scenario before. Reffell is a huge talent and while MVS is an exceptional player at 7 we are very lucky to have 2 quality 7s and with MVS missing for the start of each season Reffell is ideal for us just now given his lack of International call ups
As unfortunate as it is I wish him the best if he wants to leave to further international ambitions, whilst I may not like it that is at least a genuine and honest reason for leaving, which is something I can respect, even if I have a severe distaste for the pressure that it seems is being publicly placed on him by the likes of Pivac saying in the press conference about him playing in the wrong country.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

When you look at his games play position stats Harrison is hardly a out and out 7 though
Back Row : 131 times ( Number 8 80%, Openside Flanker 19%, Blindside Flanker 1%)

Fissler certainly implying we are looking for a 8

Still if it's between us and Bordeaux I don't Harrison will be here.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

More and more clubs are going to have to cut their cloth to fit. A good club player, never quite a test player imo, covers across the back row, strikes you as one who always give 100%.

If Reffell decides he needs to leave then best of luck to him, as has been shown with Genge and Ford if that’s what the heart wants. I just hope he looks at the bigger picture
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I always thought Harrison was more of an 8 than a 7, I'd be surprised if he was a replacement for Refell. Seems more like a potential replacement for Brink at 8 where we are a little light.

I also thought Robinson was a short term loan, so again, not a replacement for anyone.

Even of Refell does leave, MVS is a better player IMO so it wouldn't be a disaster. That said, the sheer consistency and availability of Refell in such an attritional position is pretty incredible and it would be a big shame to see him leave, particularly if it's for an outside chance of international honours under a coach who clearly doesn't rate him.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I wonder if the club are think 5 steps ahead for next season and the ones after. There is no chance that Borthwick isn’t going to be in the England conversation when Jones leaves his post. He has taken us from relegation fodder to top of the table with a never say die attitude. Tigers of old. So Wigglesworth and Goperth with Sir Kev and of course Aled could be our contingency planning. Get people into the roles now, and the handover is smooth and seamless. Almost succession planning day 1 week 1.
I think Harrison is a good purchase. All clubs need players who are just off international standard. Players who are class who are available for the whole season.
I am guessing Harrison lives close by, so he may wish to stay in the area if he has a young family who are settled?
I would love Reffell to stay and maybe the club could point him in the direction of Holmes and Costelow. I trust the club will be doing all they can to retain him.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes please but thought he was going to France
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If Reffell did sadly go but we offered Robinson a FT contract,him MVS and Harrison covering 7 wouldn't be too shabby. Harrison is more of an 8 but still plenty of options
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Harrison tries hard and looks the part with his headband but is not always effective. Staines forwards either dominate or get dominated and the score reflects their
Ability to get ball to the back line, which is very variable. I would look for more consistency if I were recruiting.
As others mentioned Pivac says Reffel is in the wrong country and will miss several days of camps then makes Biggar captain, who will miss several days…….hypocrit.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Stop gap for Tom curry for season after next ?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:48 am I wonder if the club are think 5 steps ahead for next season and the ones after. There is no chance that Borthwick isn’t going to be in the England conversation when Jones leaves his post. He has taken us from relegation fodder to top of the table with a never say die attitude. Tigers of old. So Wigglesworth and Goperth with Sir Kev and of course Aled could be our contingency planning. Get people into the roles now, and the handover is smooth and seamless. Almost succession planning day 1 week 1.
I think Harrison is a good purchase. All clubs need players who are just off international standard. Players who are class who are available for the whole season.
I am guessing Harrison lives close by, so he may wish to stay in the area if he has a young family who are settled?
I would love Reffell to stay and maybe the club could point him in the direction of Holmes and Costelow. I trust the club will be doing all they can to retain him.
Be very surprised if Borths did go without Sinfield and Walters. They would be a package imo and rightly so