Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Post by RagingBull »

Borthwick has been pretty open about it
"One day, it might well have been the first day, when I wanted to watch and learn a little more about players, that, on that day, I asked one of the training groups to leave the field. Because the standard for which they were performing, their attitude to it wasn't the sufficient standard that I expected.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:23 pm Borthwick has been pretty open about it
"One day, it might well have been the first day, when I wanted to watch and learn a little more about players, that, on that day, I asked one of the training groups to leave the field. Because the standard for which they were performing, their attitude to it wasn't the sufficient standard that I expected.
TBF I've seen that quoted before, can't honestly think it would still be happening with the current group of players!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:43 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:23 pm Borthwick has been pretty open about it
TBF I've seen that quoted before, can't honestly think it would still be happening with the current group of players!
+1
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think that quote sums up what has changed under SB. Interesting in Murphy's recent interview that he had similar feelings when he took over from MOC and regrets not being firmer.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It will be interesting to see if his management style evolves over the next few seasons. Seems very similar to the EJ approach and may not be suited to an extended time e.g. Club rugby.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:38 pm It will be interesting to see if his management style evolves over the next few seasons. Seems very similar to the EJ approach and may not be suited to an extended time e.g. Club rugby.
Great point!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean it’s already been 18 months

it’s also not really what I would call the Eddie jones approach either. Borthwick pushes players yes but sounds like he puts in every waking hour he’s awake into analyzing everything and giving feedback to the players.

Nadolo was saying that over here all the coaching is very individual based unlike alot of other setups he’s been in, mentioned how it’s similar to the crusaders, and that it’s made him fall back in love with rugby.

Also got to remember it’s very much a balanced coaching group in terms of personalities.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would think it's impossible to have an Eddie Jones approach in club rugby, fine when you only see people for a few weeks at a time, but to keep that up day in day out? At some point even Eddie would slip up and show his human side!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't doubt that he's done a good job and in this 18 months hes made massive changes and improvements. But only time will tell when those improvements are much harder to get (the top 1%) and its about maintaing a team at a high level if the management style stays the same.

Reminds me a bit of RC at Edinburgh.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well which is it Cockerill or Eddie because both of those have different styles also.

Cockers downfall with Edinburgh like it was with us was it was too set in his ways and he lost the dressing room. (Could argue that due to Edinburgh finances he wasn't able to do what Borthwick could with us and clear out players and have his own Assistant coaches)
Will say whilst Edinburgh are riding high currently they have yet to play a single Irish team.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Borthwick and Cockerill are very different personalities. Cockerill was very autocratic and had “undroppable “ favourites whereas Borthwick regularly rotates the side to ensure everyone gets game time .
A2O
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:56 pm Well which is it Cockerill or Eddie because both of those have different styles also.

Cockers downfall with Edinburgh like it was with us was it was too set in his ways and he lost the dressing room. (Could argue that due to Edinburgh finances he wasn't able to do what Borthwick could with us and clear out players and have his own Assistant coaches)
Will say whilst Edinburgh are riding high currently they have yet to play a single Irish team.
But this is my point about losing the dressing room. RC made great improvements to Edinburgh over the 2 seasons and then his management style didn't evolve once he'd got the systems in place. I'm not really talking about the rugby ideas as much.

Borthwick has been under EJ for the majority of his coaching life, so it will be interesting to see how his man management evolves over the next few seasons. Assuming he's not in charge of England by then...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:26 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:56 pm Well which is it Cockerill or Eddie because both of those have different styles also.

But this is my point about losing the dressing room. RC made great improvements to Edinburgh over the 2 seasons and then his management style didn't evolve once he'd got the systems in place. I'm not really talking about the rugby ideas as much.

Borthwick has been under EJ for the majority of his coaching life, so it will be interesting to see how his man management evolves over the next few seasons. Assuming he's not in charge of England by then...
I get your point clearly,Eddie has a shelf life that expires,always has. I believe this is his longest stint (now he’s extended his time with England). Of course you have to worry if Borths will be the same after spending so much time with Eddie. Only time will tell but signs look good.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:26 pm

But that's also my point.
Cockers couldn't change the dressing room whereas Borthwick has clearly weeded out players (Which is mentioned in this thread as something Murphy had said he wished he had done)

Borthwick as a personality is very different to Eddie.
Eddie is the most out there coach in rugby, he's constantly in the media stirring up stuff, writing books and giving interviews. Borthwick just isn't that person. Borthwick clearly holds similar ideas in terms of how to play both favour tall 6's they like having a second playmaker at 15 unless someone stands out such as Freddie but i've not seen anything too suggest they're much alike outside their liking for hard workers in training.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Just throwing this out there as a thought....

......are there any of us learned folk on here who think that thinks Borthwick may prefer the day to day detail of club management rather than the short, sharp periods of international rugby and therefore may not be interested in the England job?