Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester v Bordeaux (H) - 22nd January 2022 - 15:15

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:03 am
Grimlish wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:21 pm By default? Hardly. You can only beat the team in front of you and there still are 5 games (four rounds) before we’ve had a chance to best the remaining 15 other teams.

Who will be missing because of Covid? Well perhaps Toulouse but isn’t it also down to their earlier performances eg at Wasps making them vulnerable? Otherwise it’s largely rugby results not committee decisions that have determined the standings. At this stage it’s 16 from 24 so you have to have underperformed significantly or simply not have been good enough.

Doesn’t seem too shabby a competition to me.

Mind you I’d have preferred BB to have turned up to play us. Was looking forward to it.
Totally agree, even without Toulouse there are still some quality outfits Leinster, Racing, etc. As for BB I would like to think we would have got a TBP and increased our points difference anyway
Toulouse look safe. The strongest teams unlikely to qualify are Saints and Scarlets. Doubts over Montpellier, Glasgow
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tasty last 16 game v Toulouse for 1st/2nd place in the other pool.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

ourla wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:47 pm Whilst bad commercially this can only be to our advantage long term with players resting and guaranteed a top 2 place.
Thinking about the commercial implications of yesterday's cancellation, I was wondering about insurance. I'm guessing that a full or near full house was expected today so the financial loss for the Club must be enormous. Does anyone know whether the Club takes out insurance to mitigate the effect of those losses?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree but around half of the attendance would have been season ticket holders so the money is already in the bank although a loss of potential catering/merchandise sales.
A2O
bendy

Post by bendy »

They're giving STH a free ticket to the last 16 match instead, so whichever way you spin it, Tigers have lost an entire full house worth of income.

Average ticket price £20? With a 20k attendance that's £400k down the swanny before you even think about beer etc.

And as for all the hand-wringing about this tournament being devalued, that's just nonsense. There are going to be the best 16 teams in Europe going through to the knock out stages. If Toulouse can't beat Wasps to get into that 16, then perhaps they're not all that stunning this year. Whoever wins the tournament is going to have to beat some very good sides.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

bendy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:44 am They're giving STH a free ticket to the last 16 match instead, so whichever way you spin it, Tigers have lost an entire full house worth of income.

Average ticket price £20? With a 20k attendance that's £400k down the swanny before you even think about beer etc.

And as for all the hand-wringing about this tournament being devalued, that's just nonsense. There are going to be the best 16 teams in Europe going through to the knock out stages. If Toulouse can't beat Wasps to get into that 16, then perhaps they're not all that stunning this year. Whoever wins the tournament is going to have to beat some very good sides.
Was very happy to see the club donating all the food they had in to a local food charity.

Hopefully though we're not in the position that Falcons were when after their boxing day cancellation they retained their England player payments for a month to help with liquidity issues
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Jacko27 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:12 am
ourla wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:47 pm Whilst bad commercially this can only be to our advantage long term with players resting and guaranteed a top 2 place.
Thinking about the commercial implications of yesterday's cancellation, I was wondering about insurance. I'm guessing that a full or near full house was expected today so the financial loss for the Club must be enormous. Does anyone know whether the Club takes out insurance to mitigate the effect of those losses?
Pretty much impossible (or so expensive that it's not worth it) to get event insurance that covers covid.

I'm sure we're still getting much better match day income over the season than throughout the recent Challenge Cup years, so it's probably not a disaster.