Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

One thing you can definitely say of SB, he won't die not knowing what might have happened and what fruits that approach has born so far.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 am
One thing you can definitely say of SB, he won't die not knowing what might have happened and what fruits that approach has born so far.
And if you're good enough you will get your chance! The youngsters are flourishing, carrying on Murphys good work there
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:24 am
Crofty wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 am
And if you're good enough you will get your chance! The youngsters are flourishing, carrying on Murphys good work there
Long may it continue!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Squad rotation is a big thing for Borthwick. Used to be we only rotated players when they were injured or suspended. The depth SB has helped create is proving a key element to us being able to compete on multiple fronts with teams that have combinations that are blatantly not first choice.

Steve is doing a very good job.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Interesting comments from Green in the Bristol post match interview.

He said at other clubs he'd been at during the week everything would be focused on the starting 15 or at least the 23 match day squad whereas under the current regime the whole squad is involved. This enables players to be swapped in and out much more easily. Even late on. I think you can see that reflected in this running we are having. Not particularly rocket science but thought it was interesting.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:16 pm Interesting comments from Green in the Bristol post match interview.

He said at other clubs he'd been at during the week everything would be focused on the starting 15 or at least the 23 match day squad whereas under the current regime the whole squad is involved. This enables players to be swapped in and out much more easily. Even late on. I think you can see that reflected in this running we are having. Not particularly rocket science but thought it was interesting.
Yeah, I thought that was interesting. Guess it's an approach that requires even stronger understanding from both players and coaches of their roles, and another example of everyone 'singing from the same sheet!'
Maybe other clubs don't do it because of the increased workload on coaches? :smt017
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So..

Tigers are 8 points clear at the top of the Premiership;

Have topped Pool B in the Champions Cup with 19 points from 4 matches (albeit one match lost to COVID although I’m confident we could have won that);

Are top of Pool 2 In the Premiership Rugby Cup.

Unbelievable season so far
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 pm So..

Have topped Pool B in the Champions Cup with 19 points from 4 matches (albeit one match lost to COVID although I’m confident we could have won that);

👍👍
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 pm So..

And that (yesterday) came only two years to the day that Borthwick joined us. Absolutely incredible.
No, not that one!

non possumus capere
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I find it interesting how peoples hopes and expectations change as the season progresses. Pre season people were mentioning top 4 finish decent run in the cups. I wonder how many of us, me included, are secretly having dreams of doubles or even trebles.

I’m sure Steve and the squad are taking 1 match at a time
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:12 am I find it interesting how peoples hopes and expectations change as the season progresses. Pre season people were mentioning top 4 finish decent run in the cups. I wonder how many of us, me included, are secretly having dreams of doubles or even trebles.

I’m sure Steve and the squad are taking 1 match at a time
I was definitely in the camp that thought it would take 3 seasons as a minimum for Tigers to be competing for titles. On that basis I thought top 6 Premiership and last 16 in Europe would be a good solid ‘par’ performance. My most optimistic scenario was to squeeze into playoffs in 3rd/4th and get to European QF - which would indicate we were ahead of schedule on the road back to titles. There’s certainly no way I could see us getting close to a home SF in the playoffs or any further in Europe.

Now? Probably favourites for top 2 in Premiership (although it’s by no means certain with some tough away fixtures to come) and definitely capable of QF or possibly even further in Europe. If this is what we end up with it will have been a fantastic year. Not confident we’re ready to win titles yet - maybe the Premiership is winnable if we can get to May with pretty much a fully fit squad. Europe? Still think SF would be a tremendous achievement but anything more than that is improbable.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Once into the knock out stages anything can happen on the day.

But certainly ahead of my expectations.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

My uncle is part of the ground staff at Oval Park and I saw him for the first time in years at a wedding yesterday. His assessment of Borthwick in training:

"When one of them makes a mistake, you know about it."

"If they can't get what he's asking them to do, he makes them stay until they've got it."

"I've seen him send players home if they're not giving it 100%"

Interesting
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:08 pm "I've seen him send players home if they're not giving it 100%"

Interesting
You wouldn't want to be that person, would you?