LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Anyone else get the feeling Murimurivalu is leaving end of the season?

Same with Calum Green, I reckon with the cap going down we’ll see some squad players having to make way.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:04 pm Anyone else get the feeling Murimurivalu is leaving end of the season?

Same with Calum Green, I reckon with the cap going down we’ll see some squad players having to make way.
I'd suggested it previously. I think he's sort of 50:50 to me depends how much he enjoys the club atmosphere atm or if he's looking for more gametime?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Be devastated if he goes,top player!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Be a shame if Green left - he might not be a regular starter but you can see how vocal he is when on the pitch and I can imagine him being a leader in training and around the club.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Agreed, Green is an unsung hero in this squad.
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

I'm a big Green fan, but in a restricted salary cap scenario he's exact the type of player you look to the academy to replace. I hope he stays but cuts have to be made somewhere.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nothing so far gives me the feeling Green is off
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:34 pm Nothing so far gives me the feeling Green is off
How’s your spidey sense on Muri?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:34 pm Nothing so far gives me the feeling Green is off
Having been given the cherrio treatment early in his career, I doubt he would want to go a 2nd time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

You would think Green might be one who could be convinced to finish his career at Welford Road on a smaller contract, with less frequent game time as the youngsters progress which might prolong his playing days by a season or two. I bet he absolutely loves The Borthwick Way and we are seriously lacking in experienced 2nd rows without him (Borthwick aside). Martin, Chessum and Henderson are all very talented but I feel like they still need a proper warrior of a player like Green to push them forward.

Snyman and Wells are both good players, but Green looks like the one who is taking charge and never stops barking instructions at his teammates. Looks like an important piece of the jigsaw to me.

If a lock needs to go to balance the cap then I would put Snyman at the top of the list. Nothing against him, he's played well for Tigers and I'd like to keep him if possible, but my impression is that Green adds more off the pitch.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Unless we sign another Lock I would hope we don’t loose any.
Green is an out and out Lock where the others are all more Hybrids, with the ability to play at 6, which in these days of adaptability could be important
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 pm If a lock needs to go to balance the cap then I would put Snyman at the top of the list. Nothing against him, he's played well for Tigers and I'd like to keep him if possible, but my impression is that Green adds more off the pitch.
Snyman is five and a half years younger than Green and having joined only last summer I doubt he's out of contract. I would also suspect as we knew about the cap reduction at that point that his contract is not a substantial one.

He's one you'd hope would develop under Borthwick, he's a big lad that's currently a solid all rounder.

As much as I like Green the work horse I can't see him developing any further. Hopefully we can get him signed up to a contract that works both for him and us.

The number of locks on the way through would make sense to retain Green for a couple of years more whilst they come through and slowly push him out. We know Henderson and Chessum are looking good, Manz has been on the bench recently and Chessum Jnr has been on loan at Notts (he looks like he could end up the bigger brother).
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Nik Simon of the Mail reporting "Jimmy Gopperth looks destined for Leicester"
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:42 pm Nik Simon of the Mail reporting "Jimmy Gopperth looks destined for Leicester"
Very shrewd signing if so IMO. He's still an excellent player, covers 10 and 12, kicks goals. As a 12 he has a tendency of controlling the game very well to take pressure of his 10. With Pollard unlikely to play as many games as Ford has recently that could be very valuable for Burns and Hegarty.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby paper saying we are looking at Teimana Harrison