6 Nations 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by Scott1 »

Not comparable?! 2 makeshift front rows when scrummaging is SA greatest strength! How many caps and experience did we lose with just Farrell and Ford alone? As well as losing Manu early? There were backs combinations for us that had never played for us before. Looks like we arnt going to agree on this one but we were in way worse shape then SA,that's not a debate whatsoever for me. Not even close and a great win for us against the world's best and number 1 ranked team.

Squads on the day for reference,not even close!

England: Steward; Marchant, Slade, Tuilagi, May; Smith, Youngs; Rodd, Blamire, Sinckler, Itoje, Hill, Lawes (capt), Underhill, Curry.

Replacements: Dolly, Marler, Stuart, Ewels, Simmonds, Dombrandt, Quirke, Malins.

South Africa: Le Roux; Kriel, Am, De Allende, Mapimpi; Pollard, Reinach; Nche, Mbonambi, Nyakane, Etzebeth, De Jager, Kolisi, Smith, Vermeulen.

Replacements: Marx, Kitshoff, Koch, Mostert, Wiese, H Jantjies, E Jantjies, Steyn.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ford was selection not injury so very different. Whether rightly absent or not.

I thought you felt Farrell was the worst rugby player on Earth and this started with you saying England had enough leadership without him?

Probably an agree to disagree as you say.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ford and Farrell both played in the last game against SA though mate and regardless of my opinion he’s highly experienced with nearly 100 caps.The debate for me doesn’t even make it past Rodd,Blamire,Sinckler,Stuart,Dolly,Marler v Nche,Mbombani,Nkayane,Marx,Kitschoff,Koch. But good chat ,I believe we play them this year with SA based players only
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Back on the Six Nations I like the squad overall but just really hope we don't see Farrell and Slade partnered in the centres. The lack of balance there just wastes what strengths both players have.

1.Marler 2.Cowan-Dickie 3.Sinckler 4.Itoje 5.Hill 6.Lawes 7.Curry 8.Dombrandt
9.Youngs 10.Smith 11.May 12.Slade 13.Marchant 14.Malins 15.Steward

16.George 17.Genge 18.Heyes 19.Ludlam 20.Barbeary 21.Quirke 22.Farrell 23.Nowell

I'd probably go with something like that for Scotland. I'd be tempted with a 6-2 split, Nowell dropping out and Ewels or Chessum on the bench though.

I'm not the biggest fan of Slade at 12. His strength is how well he defends that 13 channel which is arguably the toughest position defensively in the modern game. Manu yet returning is always a big blow to the midfield though and Slade-Marchant did go well together against the Boks.

Overall I'm optimistic for the tournament having seen the squad. The midfield selection for Scotland could see that optimism dissipate though.
Last edited by ABClub on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 pm Back on the Six Nations I like the squad overall but just really hope we don't see Farrell and Slade partnered in the centres. The lack of balance there just wastes what strengths both players have.

16.George 17.Genge 18.Heyes 19.Ludlam 20.Barbeary 21.Quirke 22.Farrell 23.Nowell

I'd probably go with something like that for Scotland. I'd be tempted with a 6-2 split, Nowell dropping out and Ewels or Chessum on the bench though.

I'm not the biggest fan of Slade at 12. His biggest strength is how well he defends that 13 channel which is arguably the toughest position defensively in the modern game. Manu yet returning is always a big blow to the midfield though and Slade-Marchant did go well together against the Boks.

Overall I'm optimistic for the tournament having seen the squad. The midfield selection for Scotland could see that optimism dissipate though.
You’ve picked exactly the same XV as me bar Genge and almost the same 23

Genge
LCD
Sinckler
Hill
Itoje
Lawes (C)
Curry
Dombrandt
Youngs
Smith
May
Slade
Marchant
Malins
Steward

Marler,George,Heyes,Chessum,Barbeary,Quirke/Randall,Farrell,Nowell
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:21 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 pm Back on the Six Nations I like the squad overall but just really hope we don't see Farrell and Slade partnered in the centres. The lack of balance there just wastes what strengths both players have.

I'm not the biggest fan of Slade at 12. His biggest strength is how well he defends that 13 channel which is arguably the toughest position defensively in the modern game. Manu yet returning is always a big blow to the midfield though and Slade-Marchant did go well together against the Boks.

You’ve picked exactly the same XV as me 😂👍
It's the same XV I've seen a lot of people pick tbf. Certain areas pick themselves a bit. Not huge strength at lock, no Underhill presumably means an 8 will actually start, not the best centre options. I think a lot of it picks itself.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am Wells isn't a International nothing wrong with that.
Perfect club man
He has an England Cap so how does that work then?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

International class I meant and it isn’t a bad thing
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Biggar to captain Wales while “The Warrior” is out. Strange call really with his gob because if he gets on the refs wrong side he’s had it
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Probably designed to get him to keep a sock in it!
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:21 pm Biggar to captain Wales while “The Warrior” is out. Strange call really with his gob because if he gets on the refs wrong side he’s had it
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

WildGoose wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm Probably designed to get him to keep a sock in it!
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:21 pm Biggar to captain Wales while “The Warrior” is out. Strange call really with his gob because if he gets on the refs wrong side he’s had it
Good point! He’s a top,top player and seems okay off the pitch,he’s just a nightmare on it. As bad as any footballer,although Wales have a few tbh when it comes to refs. I can’t think of a worse international team when it comes to that
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:46 pm
WildGoose wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm Probably designed to get him to keep a sock in it!
Good point! He’s a top,top player and seems okay off the pitch,he’s just a nightmare on it. As bad as any footballer,although Wales have a few tbh when it comes to refs. I can’t think of a worse international team when it comes to that
Ireland? When Sexton and Murray are playing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:55 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:46 pm

Ireland? When Sexton and Murray are playing.
That’s a good shout! Sextons usually rolling all over the floor too 😂
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ireland could lift restrictions for 6N
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/60043118
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just read Jones interviews, punting Farrell outside Smith. Can't wait!

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/owen-farrel ... ith-312147
Last edited by Scott1 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.