6 Nations 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by Scott1 »

Jones doesn’t like Ford much at all does he?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:15 am Genge
LCD
Sinckler
Hill
Itoje
Lawes (C)
Curry
Dombrandt
Youngs
Smith
May
Slade
Marchant
Malins
Steward

Marler,George,Heyes,Chessum,Barbeary,Quirke/Randall,Farrell,Nowell
Ok I got a bit silly with the bench 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am Wells isn't a International nothing wrong with that.
Perfect club man
He’s as good as Ewells
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am Wells isn't a International nothing wrong with that.
Perfect club man
He’s as good as Ewells
Better for me! Ewels looks like he goes missing when it matters,that’s one thing Wells certainly doesn’t do!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Isiekwe is more hard done by than Wells.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just need to know what’s happening with the bubbles now and if players not picked in the 23 can return to play for their clubs etc. Should have more info a week tomorrow but all signs now point to all restrictions being dropped!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am really beginning to dislike EJ - being loyal is a fine trait but when there are better performers, hard choices have to be made. Radwan would be in my matchday squad ahead of May as would Ford ahead of Farrell. Much as I admire Chessum and congratulations to him, but he is not even a guaranteed starter for us, and Is he really saying Bailey is a better 10 than Ford? I don't get paid the bucks to make these choices but I am rapidly coming to the view that he is never going to abandon some players however they perform, just like the Cricket coaching team.
Hehehehehehehehe
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am
Perfect club man
He’s as good as Ewells
Better for me! Ewels looks like he goes missing when it matters,that’s one thing Wells certainly doesn’t do!
Still doesn't make Wells an International.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:28 am Isiekwe is more hard done by than Wells.
Ribbans as well I'd say. Wells has been cracking for Tigers but does have a ceiling, nothing wrong with that at all. That said I don't think Ewels is an international either.

Overall I like the squad. Delighted for Heyes and Chessum.

England are crying out for another TH so Heyes has a great chance with his recent form. I certainly rate him higher than Stuart.

Very happy to see Barbeary in there too. Seems a special player to me.

My gripe in the backs would be lots of back three cover but lacking carriers in the centres. I'd have preferred Manu, Odogwu or Lawrence for Furbank or Freeman.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bailey will be sent back once the squad is trimmed

Radwan form been poor according to falcons fans I have seen.

Manu and Lawrence injured and Odogwu just back
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Being selfish with Ford confirmed off do we want Ford to get picked for the 6N's anyway?
Not like we can use england as a cravat to keep him now.
Most likely he is going to play out of his skin.

90% sure he will get called up next year anyway.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am

He’s as good as Ewells
Still doesn't make Wells an International.
But you have to judge him and compare him to players in the squad
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Reffell not selected for the Wales squad, which is a relief from my Tigers perspective, however a shame for him personally.

Tigers perspective during this period (assuming bubbles are in place):

Ok so we've lost Chessum, but we haven't lost Wells or Martin (let's hope he's not injured) or Reffell to the 6N which would have streched our depth.

5 players selected. (Scotland haven't announced yet so Scott may go also?)
Genge - LH
Heyes - TH
Chessum - Lock/No.6
Youngs - SH
Steward - FB

So depth per position during 6N
LH - Van Wyk, Whitcombe, Richardson
TH - Cole, Leatigaga, Hurd
2nd Row - Wells, Synman, Green (plus hopefully Henderson coming back)
No.6 - Martin, Wells (plus Van Staden and Liebenberg coming back)
SH - JvP, Wigglesworth, Law, Edwards
Fullback - Hegarty, Murimurivalu, Burns

Personally I think we're well covered so long as one of Van Staden and Liebenberg (ideally both) are back soon AND we need JvP & Wigglesworth to stay fit!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Heyes and Chessum imo will be released back to us.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Worth bearing in mind that this is the "36 for the first week of training", not the 36 who EJ thinks are currently the best or the 36 that are most likely to actually feature in the 6N. The likes of Bailey, Freeman and Chessum are likely there just to be assessed in that environment. Maybe they'll really impress and get an opportunity in the 6N.

EJ knows exactly what Ford can and can't do - if he's only going to be 2nd choice at 10 then why not see Bailey in training instead and actually learn something. The squad already has a plethora of options who can cover 10, Ford is not versatile enough to ever get a place on the bench. If Smith was unavailable for the tournament then I'd expect Ford to be in the XV.

Ewels/Wells/Ribbans etc are all fairly similar in terms of ability for me, it comes down to EJ's personal preferences and the specific skillset(s) he wants for his game plan.

Farrell is there primarily for the same reason that Hartley was kept around for so long - leadership. Until EJ feels that Smith/Slade or others are ready to take that mantle, I expect Farrell to be a fixture.

I haven't seen much from Radwan recently to suggest he should be in the squad, to be honest he really needs to move to a bigger club.