CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Post by Dangerous4 »

Oh boy, what a game! I didn't know the result and up to the final quarter I believed we were a beaten side. Well done to all. :smt026 :smt041 :smt041
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting listening to Connacht podcast all talked about how the tigers attack changed a lot when Hegarty moved to 10 more in the last 20 minutes.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:35 pm Oh boy, what a game! I didn't know the result and up to the final quarter I believed we were a beaten side. Well done to all. :smt026 :smt041 :smt041
Careful, the happy clappers are out rounding us up :smt005 :smt002
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

loretta wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:41 am
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:11 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:28 pm

He did, first time I thought it was his accent but no, it was definitely Dom
Murimurivalu (did I get that right?) also got an interesting pronunciation.
Seemed to know how to start saying it, just didn't how to stop.
.......but even that's not as bad as the king of pronunciation.........Eddie Buttler
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:00 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:11 pm

Murimurivalu (did I get that right?) also got an interesting pronunciation.
.......but even that's not as bad as the king of pronunciation.........Eddie Buttler
...who seems to add at least a couple more syllables to names!!

This tweet from Gareth Thomas sums it up nicely:

Gareth Thomas
@gareththomas14
Why is Eddie Butler pronouncing every French players name like he's the policeman from "Allo Allo"?
7:40 PM · 21 mars 2015·Twitter for iPhone
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:19 pm
Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:00 pm

...who seems to add at least a couple more syllables to names!!

This tweet from Gareth Thomas sums it up nicely:

Gareth Thomas
@gareththomas14
Why is Eddie Butler pronouncing every French players name like he's the policeman from "Allo Allo"?
7:40 PM · 21 mars 2015·Twitter for iPhone
😂😂😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Just a quick one on the penalty count, I think the key point is not the number of penalties per se, it is where we concede them. Tigers concede a lot of penalties on their own tryline, as a means to stopping the try. As a result, our average penalty count goes up, but for very understandable reasons - we'd rather concede a penalty than a try.

What Tigers have been good at so far this season, is not concede lots of penalties in the middle of the pitch, which the opposition can use to punt the ball into our 22 and put us under pressure from those opportunities. Steve has said in press conferences, he does not pay attention to the penalty count alone, he looks at the penalty count from the middle of the pitch - if that number is too high, he knows the team has a problem.

So when you see the average penalty count and we are up there in the "top 3 biggest offenders", i would not worry too much, we need to analyse where we have been conceding them.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 am Just a quick one on the penalty count, I think the key point is not the number of penalties per se, it is where we concede them. Tigers concede a lot of penalties on their own tryline, as a means to stopping the try. As a result, our average penalty count goes up, but for very understandable reasons - we'd rather concede a penalty than a try.

What Tigers have been good at so far this season, is not concede lots of penalties in the middle of the pitch, which the opposition can use to punt the ball into our 22 and put us under pressure from those opportunities. Steve has said in press conferences, he does not pay attention to the penalty count alone, he looks at the penalty count from the middle of the pitch - if that number is too high, he knows the team has a problem.

So when you see the average penalty count and we are up there in the "top 3 biggest offenders", i would not worry too much, we need to analyse where we have been conceding them.
Agree to an extent but you run the risk of yellow cards/penalty tries if you offend near your own line. Unfortunately we seem to get yellow cards too regularly for my liking.
A2O
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:21 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 am Just a quick one on the penalty count, I think the key point is not the number of penalties per se, it is where we concede them. Tigers concede a lot of penalties on their own tryline, as a means to stopping the try. As a result, our average penalty count goes up, but for very understandable reasons - we'd rather concede a penalty than a try.

Agree to an extent but you run the risk of yellow cards/penalty tries if you offend near your own line. Unfortunately we seem to get yellow cards too regularly for my liking.
Give a choice between taking yellows whilst still winning and keeping 15 on but losing, I’ll take the former every time 👍
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:21 am

Give a choice between taking yellows whilst still winning and keeping 15 on but losing, I’ll take the former every time 👍
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Trouble is, if it's the same player they end up before the "beak" before too long & you get a "rep" individually (Wiesse & big Tomas before him) & as a team.

We still seem to give away some dull penalties though.

Perhaps if we stopped kicking the ball so much we wouldn't need to defend as much....eventually we will really pay for it in a game. The kicking stats early in the game for the competition so far for us were ridiculous.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Conceding a penalty in your 22 almost certainly gives the opposition 3pts. If it's a close game then you're defending under enormous pressure with 14 and likely the opposition will score again. Can't see the logic in conceding penalties in your 22 myself unless you are winning with a big enough margin.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 am Trouble is, if it's the same player they end up before the "beak" before too long & you get a "rep" individually (Wiesse & big Tomas before him) & as a team.

Perhaps if we stopped kicking the ball so much we wouldn't need to defend as much....eventually we will really pay for it in a game. The kicking stats early in the game for the competition so far for us were ridiculous.
That depends, if the kicking and at least as importantly, the chasing is good, and for the most part it has been this season for us, then we aren't defending under our posts, which means we can absorb the pressure a bit more easily and turn them over without having conceded a penalty prior. The kicking is a big part of why we've got one of the meanest defences out there and a big part of how we win rugby matches.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Crofty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:43 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 am Trouble is, if it's the same player they end up before the "beak" before too long & you get a "rep" individually (Wiesse & big Tomas before him) & as a team.

That depends, if the kicking and at least as importantly, the chasing is good, and for the most part it has been this season for us, then we aren't defending under our posts, which means we can absorb the pressure a bit more easily and turn them over without having conceded a penalty prior. The kicking is a big part of why we've got one of the meanest defences out there and a big part of how we win rugby matches.
Kicking is here to stay, stats show that it's integral to winning. Although I actually enjoy that battle, have to feel sorry for the forwards having to do the okey cokey in the middle of the pitch until its over!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

DingDong wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:47 am
Crofty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:43 am

Kicking is here to stay, stats show that it's integral to winning. Although I actually enjoy that battle, have to feel sorry for the forwards having to do the okey cokey in the middle of the pitch until its over!
Exactly. I've enough scars on my back to be able to remember that one of the germs of what went wrong to cause the banter years was that the club reacted to people without and within complaining that "Leicester are boring". Those without were really complaining that Leicester were winning, those within, I'm not so sure of their motives, probably wholesome but misguided. The pressure led to the buying in of a "galacticos" back line and the neglect of the pack which meant we attempted to play pretty rugby off backfoot ball with predictable results.
No, not that one!

non possumus capere