LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Rizzo, Tigers Webmaster

Locked
sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5426
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by sam16111986 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:19 pm

Kelly got capped last summer having played for Ireland under 20s previously.

If we invest in any backs this off season I'd expect them to be versatile, next season isn't the season for positional specialisation. Perhaps mining the Championship for some cheap talent.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 11415
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Scott1 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Yes he's capped,my mistake. Same game as Wells wasn't it?

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5426
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 am

Scott1 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 pm
Yes he's capped,my mistake. Same game as Wells wasn't it?
Yes that's the one. Eddie doing his bit to secure some talent for at least the next 3 years.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 12010
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by RagingBull » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:01 am

So with the knowledge that Steward, Martin and JVP seem to be tied up (Granted clauses are a thing) for another 2 years it makes things a bit more interesting.

WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by WildGoose » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 pm

TL;DR - we need more centre cover for Kelly, regardless of Taute, Socino and KvW, or whether it's feasible to also keep Moroni and Scott.

Kelly will definitely play a part for England over the next 2 years - I do think he's class, but more to the point, there's a complete dearth of alternatives for England.

EJ's preferred options, one way or the other, are Farrell (shoehorned in, personally wouldn't currently have him in my England 23*), Manu (injury risk as we know) and Slade (to me, his single best option except... if players need vaccinations to play in the Six Nations...). All three have question marks over them for the 6N anyway.

So unless EJ goes back to any of his previous discards, that literally leaves you with Kelly, Atkinson, Lawrence and Marchant, and Odogwu if we're being generous. Marchant will be in the 6N squad for sure but Kelly has a higher ceiling than Atkinson. Odogwu literally just got back from injury and EJ basically buried Lawrence in his book... so there's a good chance we lose Kelly for the Spring, and a better chance he goes to Australia for the tour.

*Smith and Ford as the 10s, Slade and Manu as the centres and a utility back on the bench, if you're asking...

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by sapajo » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:26 pm

I do not see Taute having a future at Tigers as a player. He was signed after sustaining a ACL and his injury record at Tigers is very poor and not a luxury we can afford going forward. I see him retiring at the end of his Tigers contract.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3721
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm

sapajo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:26 pm
I do not see Taute having a future at Tigers as a player. He was signed after sustaining a ACL and his injury record at Tigers is very poor and not a luxury we can afford going forward. I see him retiring at the end of his Tigers contract.
when did Jaco last actually play?

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ABClub » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:41 pm

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm
sapajo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:26 pm
I do not see Taute having a future at Tigers as a player. He was signed after sustaining a ACL and his injury record at Tigers is very poor and not a luxury we can afford going forward. I see him retiring at the end of his Tigers contract.
when did Jaco last actually play?
13 Feb last year away to Quins. He had surgery on the knee injury last year but I'd guess he's had set-back(s) rehabbing given he didn't even feature in the PRC.

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Cardiff Tig » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:57 pm

I assume it will get to a point when its not worth playing him and saving the cap space for any emergencies/early releases that might happen in the last few months of the season.

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ABClub » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:17 pm

I'd guess Taute's best chance to keep playing if he wished were to go down the Richard Kahui route of signing a smaller contract in Japan, using the shorter and less physical season there to try to string some games together, then hope to get a bigger deal if he can prove himself.

Kahui's career looked over in his twenties after what I think was the sixth serious injury to his left shoulder. Nearly 10 years after it looked like his career was over he's still going, now at Western Force, having managed his work load.

It is possible but very difficult and takes a fair share of luck. I can see Jaco joining the coaching staff here full time. He's got a lot of experience of rugby in different environments and seems a bright player. Could definitely be a good guy to keep around.

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ABClub » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm

Could Ben Morgan be an option to replace Brink if he moves on from Gloucester with Tuisue joining?

He wont cost what he once did as an international but he's still a good player and would offer another ball carrying option in the back row. We really suffered against Wasps with our carriers missing.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 11415
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Scott1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:04 pm

ABClub wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm
Could Ben Morgan be an option to replace Brink if he moves on from Gloucester with Tuisue joining?

He wont cost what he once did as an international but he's still a good player and would offer another ball carrying option in the back row. We really suffered against Wasps with our carriers missing.
Loved him at his peak,he was superb in his England heyday! Good shout if he’s cheap and fully fit

westwinds31
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5278
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by westwinds31 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:04 pm
ABClub wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm
Could Ben Morgan be an option to replace Brink if he moves on from Gloucester with Tuisue joining?

He wont cost what he once did as an international but he's still a good player and would offer another ball carrying option in the back row. We really suffered against Wasps with our carriers missing.
Loved him at his peak,he was superb in his England heyday! Good shout if he’s cheap and fully fit
…and there’s the crux…..his injury record.

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3244
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Tiglon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:59 pm

Bit of a gamble with someone like Morgan, still playing really good rugby this season, but currently injured again, about to turn 33 and rarely fit for even half a season.

Probably depends on his salary more than anything.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 12010
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by RagingBull » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 pm

with Clarke now more a second row could be Slater who is off.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest