CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 am We only conceded 10 penalties….it felt like double that watching on to !
Pretty sure we did - they must be those which resulted in a stop in play as I'm sure we conceded several while already under advantage.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 am We only conceded 10 penalties….it felt like double that watching on to !
Pretty sure we did - they must be those which resulted in a stop in play as I'm sure we conceded several while already under advantage.
I think when we conceded penalties, they were concentrated in to a short space of time, plus like you say a lot of times they either scored under advantage (not added to the penalty count) or had multiple advantages before being finally called (only counts as one in the stats)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:05 am
I think when we conceded penalties, they were concentrated in to a short space of time, plus like you say a lot of times they either scored under advantage (not added to the penalty count) or had multiple advantages before being finally called (only counts as one in the stats)
I’m not doing the stats over the season, but we must be one of the first teams to concede multiple penalties during a game and still win. There’s a stat that if you concede “n” number of pens normally you don’t win and we seem to be bucking that trend. You’d rather it didn’t continue but hey, we’re winning. I think our aggressive line speed and defensive structure opens it out for more risk of giving away pens, but when it works, it’s suffocating.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I am surprised that we seem either unwilling or incapable of rectifying the penalty count that has beset us this season and indeed some of last. Borthwick strikes me as a person who is able to convey and install what he wants from his players so can only conclude that the players are failing to heed his coaching in this regard. Its about time that the players realise for themselves that they are badly letting each other down and ultimately costing the team matches. It needs to stop, winning in the last minutes of a game makes good TV and headlines but is only necessary due to a continuing lack of collective discipline.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think like most things in sport it’s a trade off. We have great line speed in defence (thanks Sir Kev) which will result in penalties due to being over eager or timing just off. I will take these penalties everyday as they are out weighed by the suffocating defence system. I think it’s the same with Wisse. Yes the bloke gets dumb yellow cards, but yesterday showed why you would take them. He dragged us through that game, assisted by Kelly when he came on.
And I am no tactical genius, but I think the reason we had 3 fullbacks in the back 3 was to prevent the Carty chip over the top which would be mopped up by players who have good positional awareness. Chip over the top is really the only option against such a drilled suffocating defence.
Rugby is an 80 minute game. Connacht looked spent by 70 mins and holding on. Just kicking the ball back praying for a Tigers defence. Years ago, we always had that attitude where we were never out of the game until the final whistle. This is clearly back and apart from the heart palpitations I get every game I will take 82nd minute winners every game.
Lastly, before I ramble on, I wonder if Hanro is being kept nice a safe for the 6N? Sensible I think. Powder dry for the next difficult part of the season.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:12 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:05 am
I’m not doing the stats over the season, but we must be one of the first teams to concede multiple penalties during a game and still win. There’s a stat that if you concede “n” number of pens normally you don’t win and we seem to be bucking that trend. You’d rather it didn’t continue but hey, we’re winning. I think our aggressive line speed and defensive structure opens it out for more risk of giving away pens, but when it works, it’s suffocating.
Agree on the line speed issue. It's a case of risk v reward. My lad played at 6 with an Aussie ref and got pinged for offside.

He asked "Sir, just when am I offside?"
The answer came, "When you get caught mate."

It about sums up the state of affairs for me.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Anyone know when/where a full match replay will be available for the European games.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:39 am Anyone know when/where a full match replay will be available for the European games.
It's on BT sport.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

On BBC site our MOM Number 8 is captioned as Jarrad Butler and further down as Jesper/ :smt009
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

A stat put up during the game yesterday showed us having the 3rd highest penalty count per game in the Premiership at 12.9. I didn't take on who was higher in the time the stat was up, but 2nd and 1st were 13 and 14 point something respectively.
As Good As It Gets
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 am A stat put up during the game yesterday showed us having the 3rd highest penalty count per game in the Premiership at 12.9. I didn't take on who was higher in the time the stat was up, but 2nd and 1st were 13 and 14 point something respectively.
Saints and Newcastle I think it was.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 am
Scuttle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 am A stat put up during the game yesterday showed us having the 3rd highest penalty count per game in the Premiership at 12.9. I didn't take on who was higher in the time the stat was up, but 2nd and 1st were 13 and 14 point

Saints and Newcastle I think it was.
Thanks
Last edited by Scuttle on Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
As Good As It Gets
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

First few games of the season the penalty count was well down wasn't it?

Did Benny Kaiser keep saying Dom Kelly or is it just his accent?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:32 am I think like most things in sport it’s a trade off. We have great line speed in defence (thanks Sir Kev) which will result in penalties due to being over eager or timing just off. I will take these penalties everyday as they are out weighed by the suffocating defence system. I think it’s the same with Wisse. Yes the bloke gets dumb yellow cards, but yesterday showed why you would take them. He dragged us through that game, assisted by Kelly when he came on.
And I am no tactical genius, but I think the reason we had 3 fullbacks in the back 3 was to prevent the Carty chip over the top which would be mopped up by players who have good positional awareness. Chip over the top is really the only option against such a drilled suffocating defence.
Rugby is an 80 minute game. Connacht looked spent by 70 mins and holding on. Just kicking the ball back praying for a Tigers defence. Years ago, we always had that attitude where we were never out of the game until the final whistle. This is clearly back and apart from the heart palpitations I get every game I will take 82nd minute winners every game.
Lastly, before I ramble on, I wonder if Hanro is being kept nice a safe for the 6N? Sensible I think. Powder dry for the next difficult part of the season.
Good post, tend to agree with the sentiment of that, next week is at home with the pressure off, but still expect a big squad for the fans.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Good for Wiese to get a good run out and he deserved Star Player award or whatever it was called. He seemed genuinely contrite and emotional about missing the last two games in the post match interview. I genuinely hope he can keep out of the Sir’s notebook for the rest of the season.

Also good for Kini and Freddie B to get some good game time. Both had enough about their performance to be encouraging without overlooking some of the areas for improvement.

Steward on the wing is an option should the need arise in the future, but I think he has a far greater impact at 15 and as such we should play him there most of the time.