Chris Boyd

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LongsladeTiger

Chris Boyd

Post by LongsladeTiger »

Not often much said here about Saints ,but credit where it's due . Boyd has put Saints in a good place for someone to take over and push on . He strikes me a as genuine rugby person and comes across very well. With a bit more cash to build a stronger squad they would be top 4 no doubt. Any ex Tigers candidates available to take over from him ?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Chris Boyd

Post by Scott1 »

LongsladeTiger wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 pm Not often much said here about Saints ,but credit where it's due . Boyd has put Saints in a good place for someone to take over and push on . He strikes me a as genuine rugby person and comes across very well. With a bit more cash to build a stronger squad they would be top 4 no doubt. Any ex Tigers candidates available to take over from him ?
Keeping it in house apparently with Dowson and Vesty
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Vesty being their head coach makes me feel a little 🤮
TigerSID

Post by TigerSID »

Chris Boyd has been up before the disciplinary panel for criticising the referee. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59993882
Two match ban so Boyd will miss the Champions Cup games against Ulster on Saturday and Racing 92 on 23 January. Again a series of attacking scrums and no yellow card was the thing that annoyed him.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Discussed many times I know but how do the players and ultimately the clubs get through to the Ref that they had a bad day with the whistle without the 'King' seeking a beheading?

Honesty, frankness, understanding
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

2 game ban seems a bit harsh. unless he has previous. For a first offence you'd think a warning would be appropriate.

You would also hope that the powers that be would look at what he was actually upset about and see if he has a point, then maybe speak to refs about it and see if they think they need more guidance in that sort of situation.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50 am Discussed many times I know but how do the players and ultimately the clubs get through to the Ref that they had a bad day with the whistle without the 'King' seeking a beheading?

They have channels of communication with the referee that they can make their points, rather than slate them in an interview. Emotions can be raised immediately after the game and this seems to be the case in Chris Boyd.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:16 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50 am Discussed many times I know but how do the players and ultimately the clubs get through to the Ref that they had a bad day with the whistle without the 'King' seeking a beheading?

They have channels of communication with the referee that they can make their points, rather than slate them in an interview. Emotions can be raised immediately after the game and this seems to be the case in Chris Boyd.
The problem with the official channels is once the match is over there is no way of reviewing the referees performance that would lead to a change to the result. A referee who has a poor performance should be stood down and the reasons for this should be made public. Too often the referee's interpretation of the laws can affect the result without there being any form of redress.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The simple answer would be to stop shoving a microphone under peoples mouths just after a game.
I concur with others that we hear little about "Sanctions" on the officials.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm The simple answer would be to stop shoving a microphone under peoples mouths just after a game.
I concur with others that we hear little about "Sanctions" on the officials.
Definitely something we could learn from the NFL where there is an embargo on interviews for a set time after the game. The only exception being interviewing the winning team after the Super Bowl iirc. Of course that means we as viewers won't get the post match as part of the broadcast but I personally don't think we would be losing much.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ads wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 am 2 game ban seems a bit harsh. unless he has previous. For a first offence you'd think a warning would be appropriate.

You would also hope that the powers that be would look at what he was actually upset about and see if he has a point, then maybe speak to refs about it and see if they think they need more guidance in that sort of situation.
Same ban length as Tom Youngs for the same offence (post Bristol game), pretty much said the same thing to the ref so IMO it's actually some consistency there...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Post on Facebook from Ash Rowden:
Most referees accept criticism from coaches, what they don’t appreciate is it being done in public … keep your counsel with the press (who love bad news) and have the balls to say it to the referees face … just saying like
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He says have the balls to say it to their faces.
But I bet the problem is nothing changes in that circumstance either
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:59 pm He says have the balls to say it to their faces.
But I bet the problem is nothing changes in that circumstance either
The charge levelled by the RFU would likely change, abuse and intimidation of an official rather than actions prejudicial to the interests of the game...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Tom Young's said it to the refs face and got a 2 match ban....