Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashurstwoodtiger

Re: Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Admit only read the first 30 pages of this thread so may have missed it if it has been mentioned. What was going on with Hougard and an other (couldn't see number) immediately prior to Genges outburst both seem to have hold of him and in very very slow motion Hougards left arm seems to be doing something. NOT condoning Genges reaction just seemed odd
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The scrum refereeing was woeful.

It infuriates me that when the scrum is near the touch line that the referee does not stand on one side and the assistant is instructed to act as referee of the other. Doing that helps stop the props turning on one side and then on the other when the ref moves across.
frenchtiger123

Post by frenchtiger123 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 am The scrum refereeing was woeful.

It infuriates me that when the scrum is near the touch line that the referee does not stand on one side and the assistant is instructed to act as referee of the other. Doing that helps stop the props turning on one side and then on the other when the ref moves across.
My point exactly, he was in the right position for the first 2 scrums then inexplicably moved....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It would be fascinating to see a report from the referee after a match, to understand exactly why they made the decisions that they did. There's always going to be a reason, and it might help to alleviate some of the head scratching and criticism on our part.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:06 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:38 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:30 pm

Simmonds was fine, assuming you’re on about the Marler incident?
Drove him into the ground,red for me all day mate
Hepburn not Simmonds
Hepburn lifted his leg above the horizontal and let it go. Simmonds carried on with his clear out which wasn't a clear out anymore because the position of Marlers body had changed,he then ended up driving Marler into the ground head first, which was why Joe took offence and grabbed him. I've watched it several times now mate from all angles. But Sam has got away with it so like him I'm moving on
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:49 am It would be fascinating to see a report from the referee after a match, to understand exactly why they made the decisions that they did. There's always going to be a reason, and it might help to alleviate some of the head scratching and criticism on our part.
Genuine question - which decision(s) are you unsure about in the Wasps game?

I thought everything had been explained - whether you agree with the ruling on the field or not.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 pm When they first introduced the play offs, it was changed during a season. Hence the Shield and Tigers being called Champions.
I have no issue with the Champions being the winner of the play offs as teams are not able to play their best players for all league games due to internationals. I agree that the team finishing top of the table should get some recognition and be awarded a trophy.
The team finishing top of the league are true champions having proved winners through all weather's, injuries, international calls etc.

Winners of the play offs have the opportunity to come good at the end. Which maybe some compensation for international call ups depleting squads.

The champions, to me, are those who come through a season, with all that throws at you, and finish on top
While I agree with the sentiment, because we have the play-offs, team selection towards the end of the sesson can be affected, especially if in contention for the Champions Cup. There are generally too many ifs and buts to say that the team at the top of the table these days are the Champions.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Teams should be able to select from a full squad for all games if finishing top is to qualify as Champions. Whilst England international nationals are missing for games and rest weeks it is not a level playing field. It would not be good for the strength of Club rugby or the England team if clubs looked for players that were going to be available for all the season barring injury.
The Play Offs allows the coaches to rotate the players and looks after their welfare. It also keeps the excitement of the competition alive till the last day of the season.
Whilst players are not available or they continue to play league games on international weekends this is here to stay. The league winners should also be recognised with a league winners shield.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:07 pm It also keeps the excitement of the competition alive till the last day of the season.
............never mind provision the wad of cash and more opportunity for players to injure themselves!

My cynic soon returns and my lifeboat burns!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I prefer the play off format but understand while some hanker after the league format.

I don't agree with two trophy thing because I think it's confusing and devalues both.

If you went back to the league format then the Cup should/would become the second trophy, a second first team domestic competition that shows your ability to play the KO format. Perhaps with Championship teams (through preliminaries) making up a round of 16.

But I can't see anything changing or that happening in the near term. On balance the majority think the play offs work well.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:38 pm I prefer the play off format but understand while some hanker after the league format.

I don't agree with two trophy thing because I think it's confusing and devalues both.

If you went back to the league format then the Cup should/would become the second trophy, a second first team domestic competition that shows your ability to play the KO format. Perhaps with Championship teams (through preliminaries) making up a round of 16.

But I can't see anything changing or that happening in the near term. On balance the majority think the play offs work well.
I agree, personally I'd like to see something more akin to the IPL playoff where 1st plays 2nd (1st place at home), then the loser gets a 2nd bite at the cherry (loser of 1st vs 2nd is at home) vs the winner of 3rd vs 4th (3rd at home to 4th when they play).

Only thing is that is this takes an extra weekend
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:10 pm
ourla wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:38 pm I prefer the play off format but understand while some hanker after the league format.

I agree, personally I'd like to see something more akin to the IPL playoff where 1st plays 2nd (1st place at home), then the loser gets a 2nd bite at the cherry (loser of 1st vs 2nd is at home) vs the winner of 3rd vs 4th (3rd at home to 4th when they play).

Only thing is that is this takes an extra weekend
Whilst we persist with the current format of the season, losing many internationals for important league games, then I agree the playoffs are the fairest system. But if we could alter the schedules as they do in football, then a simple league system would be much better.
Soggypitch
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 am Whilst we persist with the current format of the season, losing many internationals for important league games, then I agree the playoffs are the fairest system. But if we could alter the schedules as they do in football, then a simple league system would be much better.
It's interesting that the African Cup on Nations takes places during the EPL domestic football season. Some teams are deprived of several key players - for example Liverpool are without Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Naby Keita for several matches and Arsenal without Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Thomas Partey, Nicolas Pepe, Mohamed Elneny, Omar Rekik. No one seems to be batting an eyelid about this.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ourla wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:03 am
Soggypitch wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 am Whilst we persist with the current format of the season, losing many internationals for important league games, then I agree the playoffs are the fairest system. But if we could alter the schedules as they do in football, then a simple league system would be much better.
It's interesting that the African Cup on Nations takes places during the EPL domestic football season. Some teams are deprived of several key players - for example Liverpool are without Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Naby Keita for several matches and Arsenal without Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Thomas Partey, Nicolas Pepe, Mohamed Elneny, Omar Rekik. No one seems to be batting an eyelid about this.
It's crazy,Salahs arguably the world's best player and could be the difference between winning the title and finishing second
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:13 am
ourla wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:03 am
It's crazy,Salahs arguably the world's best player and could be the difference between winning the title and finishing second
The best players according to the Balon D'Or regardless of actual evidence are Ronaldo & Messi....wasn't Salah 6th? & we think Rugby has issues.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!