Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by loretta »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:37 am It’s not often Tigers are bettered in the back row, but yesterday they were second best. Chessum and Wells, outstanding players as they are, don’t have (at least I don’t think so) much experience at 8 and 6. Reffell put in a very good shift at 7, but Wiese’s bullocking presence was sorely missed. Let’s hope that Van Staden, Liebenberg and Martin are fit for the trip to Connacht and the visit of Bordeaux/Bègles. All winning runs have to come to an end sometime , but yesterday’s performance was disappointing, along with that of the ref whose decisions were questionable in the least that on another day would have been in Tigers’ favour.
Agree. Crucial absences that were needed to match Barbeary, Willis and Shields. I'd add that with a fully loaded back row, including a proper 8, the ball gets kept in on those last scrums and we keep driving.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree with that. I have long advocated the instigator of problems be dealt with much more harshly .. otherwise they will just do it more and continue to be rewarded.
Yes you could say the likes of Genge should not be so easy to wind up but in previous generations someone slapping you round the head would have got a lot more back than a push in the face. I defy anyone not to react to that. I certainly would have done.

On Weisse .. is he available againSt Connaught? I understood it was a 2 match Premiership ban?
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Good to meet you in person yesterday “Loretta”

I sadly think that we could have pushed all we liked and a penalty try was not coming. The maul has been a better source of tries and I think it was more down to the wounded Genge ego that tactics that we kep scrummaging. Foley does not have the bottle to change a game outcome like that.

It feels like in the last 5 mins refs a trying very hard to go with the winning side so their decisions are not seen to determine the game - which they then do by lack of correct decision.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Worst thing about this loss is the paper
Lowe in the Times "Wasps team featuring a 5th choice academy prop" Who should've been binned at the end and given a pen try against...
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:29 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:17 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:54 pm Foley is a disgrace, a complete clown!! Healey now saying wasps should cheat and lose a front row so uncontested scrums, heard it all now!!
Healey should be banned for that, disgraceful suggestion from a TV commentator.
Healey is a complete muppet, BT should get rid of him it’s been a long time coming, you have impressional youngsters listening to his commentary and he suggests something like that, was even pulled up by his colleague who said your telling them to cheat then! Embarrassing.
I've said it before on this forum Austin ( me me ) Healey is the worst pundit of ANY sport,it's a shame he is associated with ours,he sets a bad example to any youngster with his constant refusal to accept officials rulings,and to suggest that wasps should fake injury to get uncontested scrums sends out a really bad message about sportsmanship.How BT continue to allow him to drag our game down is beyond me.Healey is only interested in Healey.The sooner his contract is ended or TERMINATED it should not be renewed.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

No commentator or coach should suggest cheating as a way to win again and I look forward to seeing what BT does. I may be disappointed though.

On the ref, I can see why he awarded the PT for Wasps although I think it could have gone the other way, but for the life in me cannot why he stopped the scrum marching forward when we would have scored, at the end for foul play, and didn't award a PT for us. This is the inconsistency none of us like.
Hehehehehehehehe
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The double knock on where only the Tigers hand was picked up on, mystified me, it was clear but not a peep from the normally noisy TMO who seemed to want to be the star of the show, very strange behaviour, also no one seemed to notice the Brad Shields elbow into the face of Potter (I think), it was clear and shown a few times but no one mentioned it in commentary or the man in the van, that was a red card all day long.
Having said that Shields and the rest of the Wasps back row were very good and we were very poor, we should have won but it was a result that has been coming for the past couple of games we have gone very much off the boil.

Now we will see how good Borthwick is, can he arrest the slide?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 am
LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:17 pm

Healey should be banned for that, disgraceful suggestion from a TV commentator.
Healey is a complete muppet, BT should get rid of him it’s been a long time coming, you have impressional youngsters listening to his commentary and he suggests something like that, was even pulled up by his colleague who said your telling them to cheat then! Embarrassing.
I've said it before on this forum Austin ( me me ) Healey is the worst pundit of ANY sport,it's a shame he is associated with ours,he sets a bad example to any youngster with his constant refusal to accept officials rulings,and to suggest that wasps should fake injury to get uncontested scrums sends out a really bad message about sportsmanship.How BT continue to allow him to drag our game down is beyond me.Healey is only interested in Healey.The sooner his contract is ended or TERMINATED it should not be renewed.
I thought that it was a hilarious dig at previous Wasps management regimes. Very subtle.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Is 1 loss a slide?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Now some time has passed since the end of the match, there seems little point going on about the decisions (or lack thereof) made by the officials. There is nothing Tigers can do about it other than play much better and have a bit of a re-think around selection and substitutions.

I don’t know if teams still write reports on the officials after the game, but if not continuing to bemoan our luck is a waste of energy. Better to look at what needs to be done differently and better next time. As others have said, we have shown that we can take even the most incompetent ref (Dixon?) out of the equation.

From a selection perspective, I would guess that given the same circumstances again in the back row, we should look at an improvement to Dolly. Not sure why Agbongbon couldn’t have been looked at yesterday, or even Kini/Nemani would have provided more heft in the scrum and ball carrying potential in the loose.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 am

I thought that it was a hilarious dig at previous Wasps management regimes. Very subtle.
That would be my view as well Oz played in a lot of those games when the scrums went uncontested.

The 2nd half of the league has a lot of difficult away fixtures, we are no where near as good as some people think, vastly improved yes, but we will do well to finish top 4.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 am

That would be my view as well Oz played in a lot of those games when the scrums went uncontested.

The 2nd half of the league has a lot of difficult away fixtures, we are no where near as good as some people think, vastly improved yes, but we will do well to finish top 4.
Do well to finish top 4 :smt044 we probably only need another 5 wins to finish top 4 so win our home games job done.
A2O
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 am

Away wins at Northampton, Irish, Gloucester, Bristol, Worcester is not a bad stat, Northampton and Gloucester being notoriously difficult places to win
Saracens, Quins, Newcastle, Sale, Exeter, Bath to come........

Top 4 should not be an issue.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We are in a position where away games shouldn’t really matter now. Need to be winning at home though
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

And i'll admit i was wrong about Wasps 4-8 being no better than ours - netiher Snyman or Green got beyond the gainline and Wells and Chessum were outplayed by the opposition.

RB you got it spot on