Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by Ian Cant »

Just watched the last 10 minutes again! Now I’m home and calmer but I have to agree that the officials were awful in the last ten minutes. Wasps won by having their back row stay on and compete tigerishly but often illegally and if Reffel got yellow why was there no penalty for us when Chessum chipped ahead and two Wasps clattered into him?
Odd game and odd decision making with those last few scrums: Youngs should have given Kini a run v Bassett!
Now let’s start another long run and we can take a draw or so if we need to!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 pm Substitutions these days aren't always about how well someone is playing, they're about how well someone is likely to play for the remainder of the match. So much data and analysis, the coaches can see when a player is tiring and needs to be replaced before performance drops.

Don't understand where the criticism of us "kicking the ball away" comes from - surely all our wins this season have been heavily based on doing exactly that?
I for one criticise our game plan of kicking it away most weeks and the replies are we are winning so what. Today our kicking game was off, Ford missed 2 conversions he normally gets, chipped ball over top when he shouldn't and we didn't win many of his bombs.
We can play when we move the ball, look at ending to Bristol game, today we took off Harry Potter, he was our best back, he was all over the place, why take him off?
Yes officials were not on our side today, we were unlucky to lose, their first try was so fortunate for them but overall were were poor today and our well publicised kicking game let us down and teams will anticipate how to counter it it more and more.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

For me, we played wet weather rugby on a dry day. I know the kicking for position argument, but in the second half we needed to keep some possession.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Yes but we also needed ball carriers surely that impacted the game plan
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

We were sorely missing ball carriers and back rowers. Wiese, Martin or Liebenberg would have helped at the end with some runs to set the defence.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:20 pm We were sorely missing ball carriers and back rowers. Wiese, Martin or Liebenberg would have helped at the end with some runs to set the defence.
It’s not all about one player obviously but I reckon if we had Wiese today we would have won. Impossible to say, but I agree, a big ball carrier was lacking and with Wiese I say we win that today.

In short his suspension has potentially cost us 3 points and the chance to extend our winning streak. Clearly we didn’t play well today so it’s not all about him but that late hit on Sheedy was inexcusable and for me potentially cost us today.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:24 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:20 pm We were sorely missing ball carriers and back rowers. Wiese, Martin or Liebenberg would have helped at the end with some runs to set the defence.
It’s not all about one player obviously but I reckon if we had Wiese today we would have won. Impossible to say, but I agree, a big ball carrier was lacking and with Wiese I say we win that today.

In short his suspension has potentially cost us 3 points and the chance to extend our winning streak. Clearly we didn’t play well today so it’s not all about him but that late hit on Sheedy was inexcusable and for me potentially cost us today.
Agreed, not solely the reason (Foley being too weak to act on his threat of yellow carding a Wasps prop was what ultimately cost us).
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Still can’t believe that we didn’t score a single point in the second half against a Wasps side that was missing about 15 players including at least half a dozen first choice players. Wonder if teams have started to figure out our game plan and are countering it more effectively. Definitely agree with an earlier poster that we need to mix it up.. plan b and plan c much needed
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:55 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:53 pm I forgot how this forum gets when we lose ! Hope we don’t lose again next week otherwise it will really kick off and god only knows what Big Dai will do to Posh Richard then……. :smt017 :smt027
......He's a Gloucester fan! He's been crowing a bit since yesterday....it's all good prop v second row fun!
How does he feel about losing most of their back line for the 6 Nations period ?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A match too many for 4-8 who again had to effectively play the whole game and 2nd rows in the back row.

A ref who seemed to miss too many of their penalty offences yet penalise us when he should have stopped at their knock ons.

We will struggle at Connaught if a few aren’t back. Henderson, Van Staden, and Liebenberg were missed.
No further comment on Wiese.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:39 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:55 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:53 pm I forgot how this forum gets when we lose ! Hope we don’t lose again next week otherwise it will really kick off and god only knows what Big Dai will do to Posh Richard then……. :smt017 :smt027
......He's a Gloucester fan! He's been crowing a bit since yesterday....it's all good prop v second row fun!
How does he feel about losing most of their back line for the 6 Nations period ?
After the post dinner Remy....which the ladies served anyway......regardless of result....I asked him.

He said "Cough"

At least, give or take the Oxbridge accent, that's what I think he said. 😁😁
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Had a gut feeling we would lose today and not a happy bunny that we did. Censored comments, and where's my Xmas whisky?
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

Unbelievable we have lost 1 game and the soothsayers appear. SB sent out the strongest team available due to illness and injuries, we didn't concede a try in open play again, Rowan Kitt scored this one, we had a number of dubious decisions go against us when a stronger referee not swayed by a TMO would have seen tries scored or awarded. I'm sure the game plan was the right one but on the day the execution was not up to standard. We were missing key ball carrying forwards who would have made a big difference but they were not available so lets not start the doom and gloom threads, we have lost so dust ourselves down reset and start again there are enough games left in the season to start again. No one likes loosing however lets take a level-headed perspective on this and take it on the chin, we lost but on another day could have one. Anyone other TMO than Rowan Kitt and we probably would have.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Plea to moderators - any chance we can have two threads for each match chat? One in which all mention of officials is prohibited, and one where people are free to post 101 different ways in which Tigers were hard done by as a result of incompetent and/or biased refereeing.

I’ll obviously stick to the first of these - although just to dip my toe into the latter waters, I’ll note that I sat surrounded by Wasps fans bemoaning Foley’s performance as “Tigers 16th man”, arguing he was allowing us to constantly come offside and that Genge should definitely have seen red!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:16 pm Plea to moderators - any chance we can have two threads for each match chat? One in which all mention of officials is prohibited, and one where people are free to post 101 different ways in which Tigers were hard done by as a result of incompetent and/or biased refereeing.

I’ll obviously stick to the first of these - although just to dip my toe into the latter waters, I’ll note that I sat surrounded by Wasps fans bemoaning Foley’s performance as “Tigers 16th man”, arguing he was allowing us to constantly come offside and that Genge should definitely have seen red!
Of course, you don’t have to read the threads if you don’t want to.. beauty of a forum is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I read your earlier post and if I’m honest I didn’t agree with you thoughts but that’s your opinion so I respect that.. I have my thoughts about today as do others.

Personally I thought the better team lost today. I thought we were very poor and way of our best and today was our worst performance of the season but Wasps were too and aside from a penalty try (which had plenty to debate about it) they scored 3 penalties in 80 minutes. On the flip side we scored one try, had a few disallowed (rightly or wrongly), missed a few kicks and lost by 3 points.

Fine margins but for me Foley and Kitt definitely had a hand in the result today. Perhaps the calls on the disallowed tries were correct, maybe and very probably Ellis should have got a red card but the rub of the green was definitely in Wasps favour all match and certainly in the final 10 and in a 3 point loss that makes the difference for me.

I like reading the differing views and I actually agree with those that say the officials had an off game today. There, I said it.. demote me to thread B with the official mentioners! :smt002