Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by Tiglon »

Substitutions these days aren't always about how well someone is playing, they're about how well someone is likely to play for the remainder of the match. So much data and analysis, the coaches can see when a player is tiring and needs to be replaced before performance drops.

Don't understand where the criticism of us "kicking the ball away" comes from - surely all our wins this season have been heavily based on doing exactly that?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RichieB wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:55 pm Not blaming Borthwick (God forbid!), but team selection felt like rolled the dice one too many times.
Not really sure what other options he had to be fair. Doubt he would have named that side unless his hand was forced.

Just goes to show how stupid Wiese’s yellow card was.

We had enough quality to win that game. From the little I saw (so may well have missed plenty) the decisions seemed very Wasps biased.. knock on ignored, yellow card and penalty try awarded for example.. didn’t see any of our disallowed scores but there certainly seemed to be a high tackle missed late on and a few wasps knock ons ignored..

I disagree that the officials didn’t have a hand in that loss.. from what I saw we did enough to win but countless one-sided decisions went against us and in a 3 point loss that’s all it takes.

Sounds like we weren’t at our best and Fords missed 6 points and Genge’s stupidity probably costs us but this seemed to be a match from last season from what I saw. Stupid decisions, poor discipline, the calls from the officials making the difference.. we were going to lose eventually it’s just a shame we didn’t lose a thriller where we got outplayed and the better team won..

Oh well.. on to next week and at least Sarries lost too..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RichieB wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:55 pm Not blaming Borthwick (God forbid!), but team selection felt like rolled the dice one too many times. Even the substitutions. Obviously don't know if there were any knocks, but I thought Cole was our MoM yet thought he could have done another 10 mins, same as Montoya.

SB always says we have a lot to learn and I hope the coaches and players do learn.
Those guys have played a lot of rugby recently. Clare and Heyes were more than capable of coming on and doing a job and they did.

I think a number of our subs were more down to players being cream crackered than they were tactical. Wells for example gave everything he had but he looked tired early on. Hopefully he gets a week off to refresh the batteries next week, he's a key player.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 pm We never looked like scoring
Didn’t see the whole match so apologies if I’m wrong but didn’t we have scores by JvP (which I saw and was an absolute joke.. Kitt so desperate to intervene and disallow a perfectly good score.. no way that impacted the play and Potter went through the gap with a great step with evaded the tackler), Youngs and Montoya chalked off and Montoya scored one? Might have got that wrong so apologies if so but seems like we looked like scoring it’s just the officials didn’t want us to!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:54 pm Foley is a disgrace, a complete clown!! Healey now saying wasps should cheat and lose a front row so uncontested scrums, heard it all now!!
Healey should be banned for that, disgraceful suggestion from a TV commentator.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:37 pm Who would think rugby fans would get so het up about someone saying "you are only as good as your last game" 😂
Because its a cliché that doesn't make any sense :smt017
Makes complete sense if you know what the saying means 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

You could sense from 50mins that the officials were keen to ping Tigers at any & every opportunity they had - no issues with that if it’s equally tough on the other team which it wasn’t.

You know that the players think the refs making it up in any sport at any level when they start laughing in bewilderment as both teams did when Foley stopped us at the 2nd half scrum farrago when it was clearly a scrum pen against wasps without which we would have scored given the movement forwards we had. It was then compounded further by not letting Youngs score the quick tap

Queue more laughter and eye rolls.

That said we were awful, wasps weren’t much better but had the rub of the green we’ve had in some games so good luck to them.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

17 players Wasps had out,ouch!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Have to question why we kept on scrumming 5m out. I know we’ve a quality front row but surely all the analysts have told them there’s a higher success rate in going to the corner. Especially given how many tries we’ve scored off the back of lineouts. You never see penalty tries from scrums anymore.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:17 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:54 pm Foley is a disgrace, a complete clown!! Healey now saying wasps should cheat and lose a front row so uncontested scrums, heard it all now!!
Healey should be banned for that, disgraceful suggestion from a TV commentator.
Healey is a complete muppet, BT should get rid of him it’s been a long time coming, you have impressional youngsters listening to his commentary and he suggests something like that, was even pulled up by his colleague who said your telling them to cheat then! Embarrassing.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Austin and his journalistic comments/honesty?

Backy didn't handle in the scrum, Quins and 'Bloodgate', over a hundred years of front row mystery better known as fooling the officials.

Tell it as it is!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Very disappointed today, lacked any intensity at break down and our game management was way off the mark. IMHO Why swap JVP with BY who slowed it up and made 2 glaring mistakes that cost us.
The general inconsistencies across the officiating in all games irritates me, the matches I've watched this weekend show that refs guess half the time. How can TMO give deliberate knock on when on slow mo replay Wasps bloke knocked it on into our players hand. Also commentators stated why blow up when Tigers scrum marauding to the line....surely a penalty try.
I'd live to see the referee assessors reports each week.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

The why did he cross his arms initially as he would do to signal no try, held up?
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:52 pm
manxleigh wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:49 pm Foley is a joke. He said no try when Montoya went under the posts, then seemed to forget that was his initial reaction. He always wants hide behind a ‘group’ decision. I’m fed up with the TMO involvement full stop. How many refs are quick to yellow card us vs others. There was no proof whatever that Wasps would have scored, as was stated on the commentary there was no pass being made. That said, we were rubbish today and deserved to lose.
Foley actually said on field decision was try for Montoya
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Just back from the game - obviously disappointed, but not the end of the world. Credit to Wasps - they’re clearly not at Tigers’ level this season, but they were so committed…on on the day the best team won.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Goshengareth wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:43 pm Certainly our performance didn’t compare well to that vs Saints. Night and day different. We looked tired and one dimensional.
+1 :smt023. Looked a bit 'rudderless'. Couldn't cope when the game broke up in the second 40. If they play like that next weekend then it will be a second loss on the trot. Discipline is an issue not just for Weise.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat