Newcastle (H) - Sunday 02nd January 2022 -KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Newcastle (H) - Sunday 02nd January 2022 -KO 15:00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:44 pm On another note, thought all the officials had a good game.
Thought Dickson, by his standards was excellent. First half he was very good by anyone's standards, second half he desperately tried to even it up with some random decisions but overall I have no complaints. Over the 80 minutes it was one of the better performances I've seen of his but the maul and the scrum seemed a bit of a lottery, a few times I heard the assistants saying 'red, red, red' at scrum time or 'red offside' to which he just said 'play on' so not really sure why he was over-ruling his assistants.. oh well.. didn't affect the result and we left it late but got the maximum 5 points!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Last time Tigers nilled a side in a competitive match.... 17 Jan 2009 at home to Benetton in the Champions Cup where we won 52-0.

Pretty impressive to not only nil a Premiership side, but to do it with backs playing in the pack, a hooker packing down on the flank and missing a whole host of players.

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:01 pm Last time Tigers nilled a side in a competitive match.... 17 Jan 2009 at home to Benetton in the Champions Cup where we won 52-0.

Pretty impressive to not only nil a Premiership side, but to do it with backs playing in the pack, a hooker packing down on the flank and missing a whole host of players.

It’s my proudest win of the campaign so far,I was genuinely worried pre game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:11 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:07 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:48 pm There’s some undeserved negative comment on one of the best English fullbacks of recent years. Mike Brown may be in the autumn of his career but his contribution to the game for many years has been considerable.
As a player, he's always been solid and done well for club and country - however, I've never liked his grumpy, miserable persona.
Unlike Johnno of course… :smt003
😂
Semper in excretia
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:02 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:01 pm Last time Tigers nilled a side in a competitive match.... 17 Jan 2009 at home to Benetton in the Champions Cup where we won 52-0.

It’s my proudest win of the campaign so far,I was genuinely worried pre game
Have to admit I was a little nervous about this one too. The lads did us proud once again. We will lose at some stage (maybe away to Connaught) but for now it's an incredible 16/16 winning run.. :smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Carl Fearns twitter account makes fun reading after he took a swipe pre-match at Wiese getting a 2 match ban.. 31-0 later and he's on the receiving end :smt005 :smt005 :smt006

https://twitter.com/carl_fearns?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:29 pm Carl Fearns twitter account makes fun reading after he took a swipe pre-match at Wiese getting a 2 match ban.. 31-0 later and he's on the receiving end :smt005 :smt005 :smt006

https://twitter.com/carl_fearns?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor
Haha he’s getting it proper! Twitter is Gold sometimes (as long as it stays on the right side!)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... s-round-12

Full match on Prem Rugby site

Picture resolution not up to much though, maybe it's just me.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:11 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:07 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:48 pm There’s some undeserved negative comment on one of the best English fullbacks of recent years. Mike Brown may be in the autumn of his career but his contribution to the game for many years has been considerable.
As a player, he's always been solid and done well for club and country - however, I've never liked his grumpy, miserable persona.
Unlike Johnno of course… :smt003
Ah yes, but he is our miserable :censored: and that's different! 🤣
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Excellent result, some young players are standing up and making a name for themselves, superb romp in the wet, well done everyone involved.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I thought the scrum refereeing was exceptionally poor today but to give him a very small amount of credit the microphone with his assistants was not working so he did not hear them calling out all the offences until it was changed.

On our players there were some outstanding performances as mentioned but I was particularly impressed by George Martin. We are obviously struggling with back row unavailablity and he has not played much at 8 but I thought he really stepped up today. He didn’t play a lot at the beginning of the season and looked to have been overtaken by Chessum in the pecking order but he improves with every game he plays. He is always defensively sound and some of his tackles are thunderous but he is adding a lot more carrying into his game, and becoming a real handful. He only made the one error at the base but I think we can forgive him that for A guy who has played so little in that position especially at this level. We now have so many great young players but I think he really is a gem that can only improve and I can see why Eddie Jones is so interested in him.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:59 pm I thought the scrum refereeing was exceptionally poor today but to give him a very small amount of credit the microphone with his assistants was not working so he did not hear them calling out all the offences until it was changed.
I agree, but this is normally the case from Dickson. He was IMHO generally better than his usual standards today though.
mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:59 pm On our players there were some outstanding performances as mentioned but I was particularly impressed by George Martin. We are obviously struggling with back row unavailablity and he has not played much at 8 but I thought he really stepped up today. He didn’t play a lot at the beginning of the season and looked to have been overtaken by Chessum in the pecking order but he improves with every game he plays. He is always defensively sound and some of his tackles are thunderous but he is adding a lot more carrying into his game, and becoming a real handful. He only made the one error at the base but I think we can forgive him that for A guy who has played so little in that position especially at this level. We now have so many great young players but I think he really is a gem that can only improve and I can see why Eddie Jones is so interested in him.
I completely agree.

Another big mention, at least for me, is Steward. It is a nightmare in such conditions as a full back catching high balls, and he was (as usual) superb. I think this is often overlooked.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

As we saw with Mike Brown, even the best players can have a difficult day. The combination of excellent catching in the back field and excellent kick chase is really depriving opposition teams of many attacking options. Defence is tight across the park. The only ways to attack Tigers seem to be the dink over the top and penalties and into the corner. Penalty count yesterday was very low too. It is now down to the other teams to work out what to do to beat us.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Yesterday we conceded 5 penalties total all match with no yellow cards. Not only is our defense the best in the league but if we continue like this discipline wise we will be a tough team to beat