Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: BRISTOL (A) - 26th December 2021 - 2-00pm

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:41 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:01 pm The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.

A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

He jumped from outside the playing area, and caught and released the ball before landing in touch. 100% lineout to Tigers.

As per the laws above, if you start from outside the playing area, then you need to catch the ball and land in the playing area. What Radrada attempted had no chance of actually working within the laws, although the officials didn't seem to notice, hence the scrum...
Notice it says "back" into the playing area. Fortunately the clock was not red and it didn't matter, we got the ball and we made it count.
Agreed. Maybe the ref considered the knock on to occur before his foot landed on the line making it in touch? We got the ball back and the chance to win the game so that's all that matters. Foley had a couple of iffy moments but was generally consistent.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:01 pm The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.

A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

He jumped from outside the playing area, and caught and released the ball before landing in touch. 100% lineout to Tigers.

As per the laws above, if you start from outside the playing area, then you need to catch the ball and land in the playing area. What Radrada attempted had no chance of actually working within the laws, although the officials didn't seem to notice, hence the scrum...
Just watching it back now,Piatau was fully legal. He started on the pitch first and walked backwards off it after the ball was kicked, what he did just didn’t come off,luckily for us! 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:48 pm

Just watching it back now,Piatau was fully legal. He started on the pitch first and walked backwards off it after the ball was kicked, what he did just didn’t come off,luckily for us! 👍
It's not where you started your walk from, it's where you jump from.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:24 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:48 pm

It's not where you started your walk from, it's where you jump from.
Yes,my mistake. You’re right.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

To be honest, I think this is one of the areas of the game that they have made needlessly complicated. I only know the details of this law because I just googled it, I'll likely have forgotten them again by next week. It's clear that a lot of the players don't fully understand it and possibly some of the referees too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:36 pm To be honest, I think this is one of the areas of the game that they have made needlessly complicated. I only know the details of this law because I just googled it, I'll likely have forgotten them again by next week. It's clear that a lot of the players don't fully understand it and possibly some of the referees too.
Easiest thing to do is say if the ball goes over the line it’s dead regardless,fixed!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:43 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:36 pm To be honest, I think this is one of the areas of the game that they have made needlessly complicated. I only know the details of this law because I just googled it, I'll likely have forgotten them again by next week. It's clear that a lot of the players don't fully understand it and possibly some of the referees too.
Easiest thing to do is say if the ball goes over the line it’s dead regardless,fixed!
I agree, don't know how easy it is to get sensors in pitch and/or ball to automatically detect this? The last thing we want is endless TMO replays trying to work out if a ball has crossed the line when it's 8 feet up in the air!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:43 pm
I agree, don't know how easy it is to get sensors in pitch and/or ball to automatically detect this? The last thing we want is endless TMO replays trying to work out if a ball has crossed the line when it's 8 feet up in the air!
Be nice to be able to just trust the TJ 😂
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I've long thought we need more officials and slightly less technology. 4 TJ's would help the whole game enormously. How often do we see the TJ chasing a flying winger, there is a big mess of bodies near the line and the TJ is unable to help the ref as the view is blocked, whereas, the view from in front decides it. 2 TJ's each side, one following play one trying to stay ahead. Yes, I know there might be problems but may be worth a try.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:43 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:59 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:48 pm
He was deemed to have kept the ball in play but it went forward.
Tigerbeat old chap......As you and I well know....what was deemed to have been done and what was actually done are often two very different things. 😄😄😄
Just watched it back and at no time did Piatau make contact with the line whilst in possession of the ball. He played in back into the field of play whilst he was in the air.
Exactly correct, it happened right below where we were sitting, Briz fans didn't agree with Foleys ruling, booing him etc, but in my book it was absolutely correct ruling.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:13 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:43 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:59 pm

Tigerbeat old chap......As you and I well know....what was deemed to have been done and what was actually done are often two very different things. 😄😄😄
Just watched it back and at no time did Piatau make contact with the line whilst in possession of the ball. He played in back into the field of play whilst he was in the air.
Exactly correct, it happened right below where we were sitting, Briz fans didn't agree with Foleys ruling, booing him etc, but in my book it was absolutely correct ruling.
I believe the Bristol fans thought they had won the game as the clock had turned red…..
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:06 pm ......Except it was Piatau? Now the old prop is well and truly confused.

...Am I lifting in a line out or pushing in a scrum?

....or just doing as sir tells me! 🤣🤣
It was Piatau, he jumped/dived into the air from in the field of play brilliantly keeping the ball in play, he landed on the line, then ran in to collect the ball so his mates didn't get penalised. I, along with Briz fans, was amazed he kept it in play, they all cheered like mad thinking they had saved the penalty lineout, only to be very very disappointed, booing, when ref declared rightly the ball had gone forward, like I say it happened right in front of me.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:24 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:06 pm ......Except it was Piatau? Now the old prop is well and truly confused.

...Am I lifting in a line out or pushing in a scrum?

....or just doing as sir tells me! 🤣🤣
It was Piatau, he jumped/dived into the air from in the field of play brilliantly keeping the ball in play, he landed on the line, then ran in to collect the ball so his mates didn't get penalised. I, along with Briz fans, was amazed he kept it in play, they all cheered like mad thinking they had saved the penalty lineout, only to be very very disappointed, booing, when ref declared rightly the ball had gone forward, like I say it happened right in front of me.
He didn’t ,he walked out of play and then jumped back in. So technically by the laws it was our line out. 5 minutes 26 seconds
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... round-11-1
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Home now after 3 days in Bristol, wonderful result for us, beautiful city with so many attractions, old buildings, harbour with SS Great Brittain, very lively place with loads of visitors, beautiful houses up on the hill overlooking Clifton bridge, so many old pubs and of course the Old Bristol Vic theatre, what an entrance to it. etc etc,
I can see why Gengie likes the place so much and is leaving us to rejoin them. :smt013
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:33 pm Home now after 3 days in Bristol, wonderful result for us, beautiful city with so many attractions, old buildings, harbour with SS Great Brittain, very lively place with loads of visitors, beautiful houses up on the hill overlooking Clifton bridge, so many old pubs and of course the Old Bristol Vic theatre, what an entrance to it. etc etc,
I can see why Gengie likes the place so much and is leaving us to rejoin them. :smt013
Home of some great bands too Massive Attack,Portishead,Kosheen not to mention Bananarama 😜