Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: BRISTOL (A) - 26th December 2021 - 2-00pm

Post by Big Dai »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:48 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:43 pm
Old Hob wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:12 pm As Tigerbeat says, Piatau picked up his own knock on. Some of the other players were yelling "Don't pick it up" at team mates and urging Piatau forward. The referee then ruled accidental knock on.
I thought he landed on the line? Therefore out of play. Therefore line out?

So it all should have been irrelevant anyway.
He was deemed to have kept the ball in play but it went forward.
Tigerbeat old chap......As you and I well know....what was deemed to have been done and what was actually done are often two very different things. 😄😄😄
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:59 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:43 pm

I thought he landed on the line? Therefore out of play. Therefore line out?

So it all should have been irrelevant anyway.
Tigerbeat old chap......As you and I well know....what was deemed to have been done and what was actually done are often two very different things. 😄😄😄
Just watched it back and at no time did Piatau make contact with the line whilst in possession of the ball. He played in back into the field of play whilst he was in the air.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:43 pm
Just watched it back and at no time did Piatau make contact with the line whilst in possession of the ball. He played in back into the field of play whilst he was in the air.

You'll have to check the law on that one. Does the player not have to land back in the field of play to complete the recovery? He touched the line so should be deemed out of play when the ball was touched?

Didn't watch it back.......

Anyway.....all water under the bridge now.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:09 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:43 pm

You'll have to check the law on that one. Does the player not have to land back in the field of play to complete the recovery? He touched the line so should be deemed out of play when the ball was touched?

Didn't watch it back.......

Anyway.....all water under the bridge now.
Yep player has to land back into the field of play if he is in the air when playing the ball outside the field of play. You could actually see on the touch line where he landed so should definitely have been a line out. I’ll take the scrum though :smt038
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:24 pm Yep player has to land back into the field of play if he is in the air when playing the ball outside the field of play. You could actually see on the touch line where he landed so should definitely have been a line out. I’ll take the scrum though :smt038
Not true, as long as the player has started from an in play position, and is in the air when he touches the ball, then the ball is still live, even the if the player then lands out of play. If the player starts out of play then it doesn't matter if he jumps in the air to play the ball, he's still out of play.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:39 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:24 pm Yep player has to land back into the field of play if he is in the air when playing the ball outside the field of play. You could actually see on the touch line where he landed so should definitely have been a line out. I’ll take the scrum though :smt038
Not true, as long as the player has started from an in play position, and is in the air when he touches the ball, then the ball is still live, even the if the player then lands out of play. If the player starts out of play then it doesn't matter if he jumps in the air to play the ball, he's still out of play.
Saw many players get away with starting their run from in touch though.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Laws 18.2 b. and c. are relevant. Seems he can land either in or out of the filed of play as long as the ball does not touch the ground with him holding it. The flight of the ball can be over the touch line too. Seems more lax than I remember it having been.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Offside wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:52 pm Laws 18.2 b. and c. are relevant. Seems he can land either in or out of the filed of play as long as the ball does not touch the ground with him holding it. The flight of the ball can be over the touch line too. Seems more lax than I remember it having been.
Thanks....I'm an ex prop so such things are a mystery to me
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.

A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

He jumped from outside the playing area, and caught and released the ball before landing in touch. 100% lineout to Tigers.

As per the laws above, if you start from outside the playing area, then you need to catch the ball and land in the playing area. What Radrada attempted had no chance of actually working within the laws, although the officials didn't seem to notice, hence the scrum...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

......Except it was Piatau? Now the old prop is well and truly confused.

...Am I lifting in a line out or pushing in a scrum?

....or just doing as sir tells me! 🤣🤣
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I'm sure if we'd been given a lineout we'd have just scored a winning try quicker from one for those boring maul things, instead of taking longer to score from several phases after one of those boring scrum things.....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:06 pm ......Except it was Piatau? Now the old prop is well and truly confused.

...Am I lifting in a line out or pushing in a scrum?

....or just doing as sir tells me! 🤣🤣
Haha apologies, my mistake!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Genuine question re Wiese’s yellow card. Shows he got it at 71 minutes. I didn’t see if he got back on the pitch for the final few minutes given that the game went on to past minute 84.

Would he be allowed if he had served his 10 minutes and play was still going on? Was there a break in play after 80 minutes were up which would allow him to get on.

I know that normally time is up at 80 mins. But if say there are penalties etc and there is a kick to touch, the line out can still go ahead.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RichieB wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:25 pm Genuine question re Wiese’s yellow card. Shows he got it at 71 minutes. I didn’t see if he got back on the pitch for the final few minutes given that the game went on to past minute 84.

Would he be allowed if he had served his 10 minutes and play was still going on? Was there a break in play after 80 minutes were up which would allow him to get on.

I know that normally time is up at 80 mins. But if say there are penalties etc and there is a kick to touch, the line out can still go ahead.
He would have been allowed back on had we won a penalty, however there was no break in play after his sin bin time elapsed.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:01 pm The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.

A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

He jumped from outside the playing area, and caught and released the ball before landing in touch. 100% lineout to Tigers.

As per the laws above, if you start from outside the playing area, then you need to catch the ball and land in the playing area. What Radrada attempted had no chance of actually working within the laws, although the officials didn't seem to notice, hence the scrum...
Notice it says "back" into the playing area. Fortunately the clock was not red and it didn't matter, we got the ball and we made it count.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.