JVP
Ford
Muri
Kelly
Moroni
Potter
Steward

Whitcombe, Montoya, Cole,Chessum,Green,Youngs,Hegarty,Porter
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Newcastle (H) - Sunday 02nd January 2022 -KO 15:00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

After the home game against Newcastle we have an away game to Wasps which will be tough and then a tricky away game against Connaught and the home game against Bordeaux.

MVS going off with a knock is a worry and I imagine he will be out for a little but hopefully back soon. Wiese was dull and could have cost us the win against Bristol so if Hanro is fit I'd bench Wiese but if he's not he really has to start with Brink departing and MVS going off injured. Chessum and Porter were excellent when they cam on so they both start for me. I'd go:

1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Snyman
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Wiese
9. JvP
10. Ford
11. Porter
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Steward

16. Dolly 17. Whitcombe 18. Heyes 19. Henderson/Green 20. Martin 21. Youngs 22. Hegarty 23. Murimurivalu

*edit- forgot Genge had the Connacht game off so I’d have him in the mix. MVS clearly won't feature and nobody knows about Hanro. Snyman starts if he's back fit again (guess he must be close otherwise he wouldn't have been considered for today) and Martin drops to the bench as a back row replacement. Chessum gets the 6 shirt after some outstanding performances this season. Porter replaces Nadolo to reward a good performance today and to keep Nadolo fresh for the big matches coming up. Scott back into the mix (if he's fit, not sure if he's injured or just rotation today) and I'd give JvP a start. Otherwise unchanged backline. Bench backs Hegarty can cover 10 and 15, Murimurivalu and cover wing and 15 and centre if required although I'd imagine Porter would move to centre with Murimurivalu on the wing if needed.

Clearly I will be way off and SB will have a much better option but that's my choice for what its worth...
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don’t think Europe is a priority for Borthwick more chance of him rotating in Europe than Falcons at home imo
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

Same 23 as started today for me with the exception of Wiese starting if MVS injured. Regardless of his head loss moments his carrying was causing Bristol a lot of problems today, particularly from the restarts.

Thought Martin was one of our better players today as well, did very little wrong so he still gets the nod with Chessum bringing the impact off the bench. With Hanro and MVS injured, and Brink on his way out the door are we beginning to get a little thin in the back row?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

nicmattyg wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:44 am Same 23 as started today for me with the exception of Wiese starting if MVS injured. Regardless of his head loss moments his carrying was causing Bristol a lot of problems today, particularly from the restarts.

Thought Martin was one of our better players today as well, did very little wrong so he still gets the nod with Chessum bringing the impact off the bench. With Hanro and MVS injured, and Brink on his way out the door are we beginning to get a little thin in the back row?
Depth in the backrow is still pretty good, with 2 injured (MVS & Liebenberg) we still have 4 top drawer options

Martin
Chessum
Reffell
Wiese

Backup we have shown Wells can play 6, I don't know where Ilione is in terms of fitness either but also have Agbongbon in depth.

Plus I was impressed when Dolly played there preaseason too (plus Whitcombe, Tom Cowan-Dickie & Van Wyk have all covered there this season)

Considering a reducing cap that is a lot of versatility.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Genge had the Connacht game off. No need to rest him again. I'd be tempted to rotate Cole and Heyes but otherwise keep it as is. JVP and Scott rotate in as standard.

Genge, Montoya, Heyes
Snyman, Wells
Martin, Reffell, Weise
JVP, Ford
Scott, Moroni
Nadolo, Potter, Steward

Dolly, Leatigaga, Cole, Green, Chessum, Youngs, Hegarty, Porter/Murimurivalu.

Newcastle are a tough side we shouldn't take a win for granted. Go hard and get the job done. I agree with RB we'll rotate more heavily in Europe not in the Prem.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:08 am Newcastle are a tough side we shouldn't take a win for granted. Go hard and get the job done.
Newcastle had a mixed bag of a season so far. Played 9, W4, L4, D1.. Some of their more impressive results have come against very depleted sides (wins against Exeter and Bristol). Otherwise they’ve lost to Irish, Sarries, Glos, Quins and beaten Wasps and Bath (but who hasn’t!) and drawn with Worcester.. mixed results and I’d fully expect us to be picking up the 5 points. No easy games and nothing can be taken for granted but this is a game id fully expect us to win
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:56 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:08 am Newcastle are a tough side we shouldn't take a win for granted. Go hard and get the job done.
Newcastle had a mixed bag of a season so far. Played 9, W4, L4, D1.. Some of their more impressive results have come against very depleted sides (wins against Exeter and Bristol). Otherwise they’ve lost to Irish, Sarries, Glos, Quins and beaten Wasps and Bath (but who hasn’t!) and drawn with Worcester.. mixed results and I’d fully expect us to be picking up the 5 points. No easy games and nothing can be taken for granted but this is a game id fully expect us to win
Agreed, I expect us to win and grind them down for the full 5 but not a game to rotate to heavily as they aren't a poor team just a lower mid table one. They've had a few injuries of late so a week off might help them get some bodies back and come prepared for us as well.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:08 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:56 am
Agreed, I expect us to win and grind them down for the full 5 but not a game to rotate to heavily as they aren't a poor team just a lower mid table one. They've had a few injuries of late so a week off might help them get some bodies back and come prepared for us as well.
Agreed. Definitely not one for wholesale rotation. I’d like to see Porter and Chessum start with Scott back in the mix otherwise pretty much the same as this week
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

You'll never out guess the master!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:13 am You'll never out guess the master!
Good point Dai.. perhaps Dolly at 6 and Leatigaga at 13.. keep them guessing!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:47 am
Big Dai wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:13 am You'll never out guess the master!
Good point Dai.. perhaps Dolly at 6 and Leatigaga at 13.. keep them guessing!
Plus Reffell to kick. 😀😀😀 ......And in the hooker tradition I reckon Dolly could play 7......at a pinch.

I don't think I've seen one of the forum teams turn out on the pitch yet. There's always a twist.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I would go
Whitcombe
Dolly
Heyes
Chessum
Snyman
Martin
Reffell
Wiese
Van Portlivet
Ford
Potter
Scott
Moroni
Porter
Steward

Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
Van Staden
Youngs
The Aussie 10
Muri
A2O
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:06 am I would go
Whitcombe
Dolly
Heyes
Chessum
Snyman
Martin
Reffell
Wiese
Van Portlivet
Ford
Potter
Scott
Moroni
Porter
Steward

Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
Van Staden
Youngs
The Aussie 10
Muri
MVS will be out with return to play protocols after going off yesterday concussed
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

For me I would go with
1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Martin