LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by RichieB »

I don’t see the need to get Pollard early. His wages will still need to be paid even if he isn’t playing. Nothing to do with cap space if he isn’t registered as a player but still needs paying. We got Ford/Burns/Hegerty/Lancaster for the fly half position anyway.

Only advantage I can see is to get him here in time for a good full pre season with Aled and get to learn the drills here.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RichieB wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:19 pm I don’t see the need to get Pollard early. His wages will still need to be paid even if he isn’t playing. Nothing to do with cap space if he isn’t registered as a player but still needs paying. We got Ford/Burns/Hegerty/Lancaster for the fly half position anyway.

Only advantage I can see is to get him here in time for a good full pre season with Aled and get to learn the drills here.
It was tongue in cheek! An advantage could be if he wouldn't be available for pre season?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Ah, sorry. I’m normally pretty good at spotting the fishing line!
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

Just read a post on freddie stewards instagram captioning a picture of himself, JVP and Ollie Chessum with " a thorn inbetween 2 roses" (JVP in the middle of the picture). Ollie chessum then replied as Judas and his disciples!

this doesn't mean anything hopefully?!?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hope not
A2O
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

With the EPQ rules it's going to be a mad scramble to get the 15 required slots from a matchday 23 tied up.

Borthwick has acknowledged in his presser today that we're not where we should be in that regard so I think the likelihood of Martin, Chessum, JvP et al moving on will be slim to none.https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... Iyzcg&s=19
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Thinking of the 15 from a first choice 23
Cole
Wells
Youngs
Kelly
Potter
Steward
Whitcombe
Dolly
Heyes
Green
Martin
Reffel
JVP
Burns

Ford and Genge leaving does create a big problem. With those two leaving we have only 6 out of our first choice 15 as EPQ although the majority of the bench are.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don’t even know that caption might mean in terms of transfer?

I’m pretty sure that’s a inside joke.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:20 pm With the EPQ rules it's going to be a mad scramble to get the 15 required slots from a matchday 23 tied up.

Borthwick has acknowledged in his presser today that we're not where we should be in that regard so I think the likelihood of Martin, Chessum, JvP et al moving on will be slim to none.https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... Iyzcg&s=19
We have hit 15 in all but two games and average 16.07 across the season so far. I am not sure on Bryce Hegarty's status, he could easily be an EQP would improve our figures even further.

Rather strangely, Francois Van Wyk is an EQP at the moment (more than 3 years of residency) but will stop being an EQP from Jan 1st when international qualification extends to 5 years, only to then re-qualify as an EQP from this summer when he will hit his 5 year mark!!

With the new "heritage" laws coming in from Jan 1st the pool of "English" players has expanded a lot too.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rob18C wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:02 pm Just read a post on freddie stewards instagram captioning a picture of himself, JVP and Ollie Chessum with " a thorn inbetween 2 roses" (JVP in the middle of the picture). Ollie chessum then replied as Judas and his disciples!

this doesn't mean anything hopefully?!?
Oh no,what now?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

With Pollard coming in for Ford surely the replacement for Genge will have to be EPQ?

I would imagine SB will be thinking- if I had a final tomorrow would I be able to pick the strongest team- currently we are just about over but next year we are struggling. Suspect it will be Moroni or Scott who have to make way.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not really sure why either would have to go to make the EQP?

Also am I being blind or where is this thing about it being mandatory next year?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:48 pm
MurphysLaw wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:30 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:56 pm The only way I can forsee us bringing in someone immediately with Brink leaving would be if they are someone we expect to be absent during preseason and want to bed them in.

In that senario I'd expect it to be an international, which Brink alone leaving I would doubt would cover.
I agree with the immediate replacement point, but what do folks think about the No 8 cover longer term now that Brink (and Smith) have gone?
Wiese will invariably miss matches owing to internationals, bans, and injuries, and so it puts a lot onto Liebenberg, and there doesn't seem to be anyone ready to step up from the development squad.
Maybe SB is going down the Eddie route of using ball-carrying 7's?
Imagine Liebenberg or Martin will fill in at 8 in Wiese’s absence
Plus worth noting Van Staden has covered there a number of times from the bench.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:08 pm Not really sure why either would have to go to make the EQP?

Also am I being blind or where is this thing about it being mandatory next year?
Wasn’t it just an incentive thing?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:45 pm Thinking of the 15 from a first choice 23
Cole
Wells
Youngs
Kelly
Potter
Steward
Whitcombe
Dolly
Heyes
Green
Martin
Reffel
JVP
Burns

Ford and Genge leaving does create a big problem. With those two leaving we have only 6 out of our first choice 15 as EPQ although the majority of the bench are.
Reffel can’t be EQP can he? Porter is EQP though