Genge leaving

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Genge leaving

Post by Robespierre »

So Ellis Genge has signed for Bristol. Good for him!
Players do change clubs from time to time for different reasons, so let's accept it and move on - as some other posters have rightly suggested.
I've not seen this video about the move and nor do I want to, but it was possibly not a very diplomatic decision by the Bristol club.

Ellis Genge is a respected professional and I'm confident he'll give all he's got until the last match of the season, which'll hopefully be either in Marseille or at Twickers (or maybe both!).
Semper in excretia
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:41 pm
CJ wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:27 pm Agree with Tigercam. Drop him - especially against Bristol. Don’t play him for the rest of the season and let him see how that affects his fitness, his England place and more. What a muppet - I really liked him but this is just completely out of order
I agree 100% with you but, if dropped I would not be surprised to see him sitting in the crowd with a Bristol hat on. Such is the level of contempt I strongly believe he holds the club in (I include the supporters in that).
Genge has always been Bristol through and through and I get it. He was always going to go back there (home) and why not. He came to the Tigers a troubled young man that Cockers helped turn around and he is where he is because of the Tigers. I believe Genge hinted in the past that if not for the move to WR he may have gone down a more troublesome path. I have always thought his transformation was something to admire when initially on shaky ground and from that he gained my respect. The video sticks in my craw and I feel that the Tigers have been given a slap in the face after all the time and effort they have put into this excellent prop. I have had little respect for Lam since the "is he injured or not injured' scenario and what respect there was has now diminished to a fat zero.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

What I want to see is Ellis captaining a 5 point win vs Bristol, that will leave me feeling like he can give it all for the rest of the year.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 pm Sure. But IMO, I don't see how an extended Q&A with a Montpellier player about how excited they are to come and start playing for Leicester is that different from a Leicester player being in a video showing him being excited to play for Bath. Other than the fact everyone on here has a bias towards this club, as you would only expect on the club forum!
Well the medium is a big thing for starters.
Only a handful of people will read a Q&A that’s been typed up.

The video clearly been designed to be shared with as many as possible.
Maybe if Bondi had posted the video of the interview I would understand it more as a comparison, and most likely a reason why no video of it.

The video is more a promotional piece than a informative piece (hence why it’s on 167k views on Twitter alone).

I’m :censored: now but I will be over by the weekend.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I don't understand why Genge should get extra respect for choosing not to be a criminal, compared to anyone else who chose not to be a criminal.

In my industry, in which no one could care less about where I or anyone else works, no one ever publicly announces where they are going until they finish their current job - out of respect for their current employers. If I was doing work (for a pro rugby player, photoshoots are work) for my future employer, even in my spare time, I would expect my boss to be very unhappy and to question whether I wanted to see out my notice or just sod off straight away.

Do rugby players' contracts not have clauses that prevent them from doing any kind of work, paid or otherwise, for another rugby club?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

No problem with Genge at all. He was saved by Richard Cockerill and has played well for us. I don’t believe, like Ford, that he has really gone for less money!
Good luck to him but hope he really does turn up v Bristol: that will show if he is committed to the cause and of course I always believe players want to win medals.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:20 pm So Ellis Genge has signed for Bristol. Good for him!
Players do change clubs from time to time for different reasons, so let's accept it and move on - as some other posters have rightly suggested.
I've not seen this video about the move and nor do I want to, but it was possibly not a very diplomatic decision by the Bristol club.

Ellis Genge is a respected professional and I'm confident he'll give all he's got until the last match of the season, which'll hopefully be either in Marseille or at Twickers (or maybe both!).
Exactly.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I think one of the problems with the video is the fact that he is wearing full Umbro kit. Now this may be a coincidence but Bristol kit is made by Umbro.
I would have no problem with a video at the end of the season but he is still Tigers captain and having a video pretty much wearing another teams kit is a slap on the face.
Rugby needs to learn from football regarding transfers.
beech2

Post by beech2 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 pm Sure. But IMO, I don't see how an extended Q&A with a Montpellier player about how excited they are to come and start playing for Leicester is that different from a Leicester player being in a video showing him being excited to play for Bath. Other than the fact everyone on here has a bias towards this club, as you would only expect on the club forum!
I don't expect you to change your mind on this but I can see a number of major differences. Firstly Montpellier are not in the same league as Tigers and will not be playing each other in a couple of weeks and secondly I don't believe that Pollard is the club captain which does carry some responsibilities with it.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

As he is not picked to start or be on the bench, will our 'club captain' turn up on Sunday?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:14 pm As he is not picked to start or be on the bench, will our 'club captain' turn up on Sunday?
In all honesty, I can see an interview and apology for the video on Tigers TV on Saturday followed by a very public appearance on Sunday.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Be interesting to see what happens next week. Does Borths start him as captain? Bench him? Drop him completely and tell him not to travel? The latter is a real option to avoid a circus. Are we on TV v Bristol? The pundits are gonna have a field day!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Would be a bit hypocritical for Borthwick to drop his as captain seeing as he also signed for another club while captaining Bath.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Regardless ,we have to beat Bristol. After Lam riding the scrum train to cheatsville and now this ,we have to win. Be nice to rub it in!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Is Genge on the 2022 calendar?