Genge leaving

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Genge leaving

Post by Tiglon »

Surprised to see him apologising, he usually just tells people where to go when they don't like the way he does things.

One of the reasons we loved him was that he was so open about not caring what we thought of him, and being quite open that he doesn't like rugby fans or the rugby establishment. To him, we're all just posh idiots who look down on him because of his background. He loves his self-created working class hero persona, walking around in slippers to sign a 6 figure salary contract to prove he's just an ordinary bloke. We know he has zero loyalty to anyone but himself, and maybe his speedy scaffolder mates. For me loyalty doesn't mean staying in the same place forever, it means doing things respectfully when you decide to leave - was that really too hard to manage?

I doubt he's changed that mindset now, he still thinks we're all sausages, so his apology is just him finally listening to the PR guys and pretending he gives a... to protect his sponsorship deals.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Whatever the reasons for two high profile players leaving we have our management and I trust them to do what's best for the club whatever that means for the individual. That said the best interest of the club is not going to be served by acting in haste or anger.
I'm not cynical just experienced
LongsladeTiger

Post by LongsladeTiger »

Posting this video tells you a lot about the real person doesn't it . As a rugby player no question he is international class ,but in respect of captainacy material way short of the mark . If happened in industry and commerce it would be deemed Gross Misconduct, Summary Dismissal ,immediate effect and no notice pay or severance . One of the few things SB has got wrong but he needs to strip him of captaincy immediately and dismiss him without pay . I'm sure Andrea would support that move .
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Disgusting behaviour by both Lam (not surprised here after his swearing outburst at fans, including women and children a couple of years back at Welford Road) and Genge. The poor judgement on Genge's part in participating in that video renders him unfit to represent our club at all, never mind leading it as Captain.

If I had my way he would not be played again, and would spend the remainder of his contract cleaning the Academy kids boots. What a cretin! :smt013
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:23 am I really don't see what all the fuss is about re video. I'd hope our fan base was secure enough that such a thing could be seen for what it is. Move on.
Agreed. He's signed the contract, all this does is show it happening in person.

Bristol's social media team are head and shoulders above anything else in the league IMO. I bet few on here would have complained if there was a video of Pollard coming to Oval Park and signing his contract. Blaming Lam seems a bit much TBH. I doubt this was his idea unless he's now an expert in marketing...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bet the Montpellier would've been up in arms though.

Also Bristol media is miles behind Sam IMO. Literally all they have is tacky announcement videos which was fun at first but you can see the lower impressions as they kept milking the memey videos.
Surreytiger

Post by Surreytiger »

I think this puts SB in a very tricky position.

If he continues to pick Genge and keeps him as captain he runs the risk of looking weak.

If he drops him or strips the captaincy he could create a bigger issue and unsettle the squad if Ellis starts sulking and bickering at the training ground.

Genge has created a huge problem by going along with the video. I can’t see how he didn’t think this was going to hurt tigers fans!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

The clock ticks down to midday with extra interest attached......
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:17 am Bet the Montpellier would've been up in arms though.

Also Bristol media is miles behind Sam IMO. Literally all they have is tacky announcement videos which was fun at first but you can see the lower impressions as they kept milking the memey videos.
Bondi does seem a little restricted at present it must be said.

You could of cause say Ellis has made himself look a bit of a Sausage...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Cant believe a lot of what I am reading...............

In my view he's done nothing wrong - it's what Bristol have done lots of times with other players. He realises it's timing was not great, and he's accepted that - time to forget it now. We may have done something similar with Pollard had covid allowed so instead we just did a Q&A - i dont see Montpellier creating such a fuss.............

As for the player himself, never given anything less than 100% and let's be crystal clear, he knew he was going back in the summer and nobody can question one minute of his performances on the pitch this season.
He also stuck by the club in the very dark times pre covid when the senior management were running the club into the ground.

And as for loyalty, it would be worth listening to the interview he did with Haskell about loyalty. There is very little in terms of loyalty back to the players from the clubs when contracts end and we should not expect it the other way.

I choose to judge him on what he has done for us on the pitch and I will continue to do that for the rest of the season as I expect the same Ellis Genge until he takes off the jersey for the final time!!
Less is more....
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:17 am Bet the Montpellier would've been up in arms though.

Do you think it's that much different from the extended Q&A that Tigers published with Pollard when he signed?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Massively different
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't think it's that different at all - they're just in different media forms.

As an aside, Borthwick was the captain of Bath as I recall when he signed for Saracens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If they are different forms of media doesn’t that suggest it’s different straight away?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Sure. But IMO, I don't see how an extended Q&A with a Montpellier player about how excited they are to come and start playing for Leicester is that different from a Leicester player being in a video showing him being excited to play for Bath. Other than the fact everyone on here has a bias towards this club, as you would only expect on the club forum!