Genge leaving

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Genge leaving

Post by RagingBull »

There’s always a chance he might have taken the captaincy to try and further his England chances despite knowing he was off end of season in his mind.

Eddie was talking about England need more leaders, it was something Ellis went to the press with about how he was trying to be a leader with a young England squad in the summer.

Why wouldn’t he take it up if offered could’ve sealed his England shot.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

TigerMac3 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:19 pm There is absolutely zero/nada/no way that this Bristol move was on the cards when he was offered the captaincy. We get constantly peddled this ‘journey’ bullsh*t and two of our most influential players, one of which is our captain, have decided that this journey is not for them.

I’m angry about the whole thing to be honest and have just tried to ignore it, but the lack of any social response (such as Ford did) to address the fans also touches a nerve. The standard ‘I’d like to thank Tigers and their fans’ in his press release lacks class. Thought more of him
He has tweeted and apologised for the upset he’s caused.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TheChild wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:52 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:19 pm There is absolutely zero/nada/no way that this Bristol move was on the cards when he was offered the captaincy. We get constantly peddled this ‘journey’ bullsh*t and two of our most influential players, one of which is our captain, have decided that this journey is not for them.

I’m angry about the whole thing to be honest and have just tried to ignore it, but the lack of any social response (such as Ford did) to address the fans also touches a nerve. The standard ‘I’d like to thank Tigers and their fans’ in his press release lacks class. Thought more of him
Token gesture. Remember his views on the whole “loyalty” thing on the podcast with Haskell & co....He’ll just brush it off, say the right thing and move on.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Will he make history by being shortest serving Captain, 1 season at most, possibly only 1/2?
If Tigers react by dropping him, could they block his realise to England for the 6 Nations? It will be very interesting to see team news at 12.00 Friday, will we get the excuse he is being rested after his 80 mins stint last week, who knows?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Flood?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:33 amFlood?
Cant remember, how long did he last?
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

TheChild wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:52 pm

This whole shenanigans has helped me rediscover my faith in cynicism….
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

SB will be livid with that video, Genge and Lam playing out the muppet show, for me EG can’t remain as captain, I thought he had built a level of maturity since being at the Tigers but doing things like this just burns bridges and personifies the doubt in his mindset and the question ‘does he want to play for the club anymore’ always been a massive fan of EG but seeing that video half way through a resurgence season for the tigers is a kick in the teeth for any fan. I am sure SB will deal accordingly.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Well as far as Lam is concerned, this couldn’t be going any better.

We’re flying high, unbeaten in all competitions and Brizzle are wallowing about in 12th. He knows that, in 10 days, he’s got to host us and purely coincidentally he releases a video, displaying to the world, that he’s taken our captain! A move, both the content and the style of which, is GUARANTEED to cause fans to both turn against Genge and start rumours about training ground unrest, not to mention what this’ll be doing to the rest of the squad. At the same time, those in the south west whose support is faltering get to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And, for some reason, naïve or just likes a fight, Genge goes along with it.

Quite a few have bemoaned the timing and style of the announcement. It was appalling. But I’m convinced that it was also deliberate. We’ve been torpedoed. Lam was badly exposed as a liar in the Afoa-gate debacle. He must be loving all of this. I just hope Brizzle continue being dire on the pitch and he loses his job at the end of the season. Yes, I know. But I can dream.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I wonder if he will do the honourable thing and step down as captain?
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

I honestly can’t see how he can lead the tigers out again, if he does I think the tigers faithful will show him what they think, just a moronic video, everything about it oozed arrogance, even with what EG was wearing and Lams scripted reactions. Taxi down south for EG me thinks, sooner rather than later!!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Genge leaving so soon after the Ford announcement is more of a worry for me than the video. Granted, the video is painful to see at this point in time, but Ellis has already apologised on Twitter saying that in hindsight it was a bad decision in terms of timing.

So for me, I think forget the video and focus on practical matters in terms of a replacement and making sure we get the most out of him for the remainder of the season. The club and the performance of the team on the pitch is paramount and these media-fuelled situations really do not help.

IMHO, the best way to deal with this is to let SB and his team get on with their jobs in terms of replacement/captaincy decisions. From a fan and supporter perspective, I’m thinking the best way to get Genge to give it his all for the rest of the season is to cheer him on, give him all the support possible and thank him for what he has done for us over recent years.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

LE18 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:28 am Will he make history by being shortest serving Captain, 1 season at most, possibly only 1/2?
If Tigers react by dropping him, could they block his realise to England for the 6 Nations? It will be very interesting to see team news at 12.00 Friday, will we get the excuse he is being rested after his 80 mins stint last week, who knows?
IF he's dropped I can't see Borthwick saying anything, his mantra is to sidestep such matters!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

May be Ellis needs to ensure the video is not played on the big screen at Ashton Gate when Tigers are warming up in a couple of weeks.
I would not sack him as captain but announce a mutually agree stepping down and play him any game he is fit and able but not against Bristol.
It is a little that his undoubted skills and development have not reached a level where he saw this was not a good idea. It may actually harm his England leadership chances. England captains have caused issues before and this is a blot on his copy book. But “mid twenties block makes bad decision” is a headline that could go above most of our photos in hindsight I am sure. Not doing it in foresight does take maturity.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I really don't see what all the fuss is about re video. I'd hope our fan base was secure enough that such a thing could be seen for what it is. Move on.