Genge leaving

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Genge leaving

Post by westwinds31 »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:09 pm Loyalty is dead. We'll be onto franchises and draft picks soon!

Says he, having just turned his back on work in Wales for more lucrative engagements in the East Midlands, so he can keep an eye on ageing parents.

Welcome to the annual roller coaster of ins and outs.
Big Dai, are you the marquee employee !?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Possibly!

Who knows.....but as distasteful as I find this departure, I do understand the pulls of both family and earning power.

I can't judge Ellis having decided to leave friends and colleagues and do something else that fits the wallet and lifestyle better.

In the amateur days you moved job....you moved club.....
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

2 of our best going in our best season for years. Makes you wonder why they no longer want to play for Tigers and what is going on behind closed doors.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Doesn’t really make me wonder tbh.

You don’t go 12 from 12 or whatever it is, with dissent behind the scenes lol
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:31 am Doesn’t really make me wonder tbh.

You don’t go 12 from 12 or whatever it is, with dissent behind the scenes lol
No! There’s things we don’t know! There must be a conspiracy… :smt017
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I've enjoyed him wearing our shirt, shame he's off but he will ok and I'm sure we will too, he was developing nicely here.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The cynic (realist ?) in me sees this as the culmination of the saga of the 25% imposed pay reduction from times past.
Remember ?
Our squad effectively could have been split into three :
Those who signed.
Those who left (refusing to accept revised terms).
Those who were 'persuaded' to stay.
If memory serves, Ellis is the last of the 'name' players that fell into the latter category - all others have since departed.
I do find the whole scenario disappointing.
I am, was, and will be unashamedly biased toward The Club I have always supported ....
Ellis has never given less than 100% on field and at times has been inspirational, yet all this episode does is increase my admiration for the likes of the Youngs brothers (Tom especially) and Dan Cole.
For me, I am not kidding my self - if Ellis had been offered what he wanted, would we need to replace him ?
If Mike Ford had been working for The Club, would George Ford have happily signed ?
Answer for yourself, but I know what I believe - but still, no hard feelings as life is tough.
I wish Genge well, but sincerely hope that The Club finds a replacement with ability who actually wants to be here.
For The Club, one more issue - please spare us 'the journey' and/or 'leader'/'leadership' routine when discussing new players; for 99% of recruits the only 'journey' that interests them is the journey of their wages from The Club to their bank account and the only leadership position that truly occupies them is the leadership position of the leading zero relative to the decimal point on their bank statement.
I always knew Tom Youngs would be a hard act to follow. Anyone ever doubt his long term commitment ?
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Thinking about this, and Ford, wondering which is better.
A top class, expensive player who is away Internationally for half the season, or a very good club player, cheaper who is not.
I suspect that with cap reduction, the expensive internationals may find themselves not quite as in demand, or are unable to command the high wages of before
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

This story has been bubbling in the press for weeks, and in the Telegraph today they comment that Bristol will announce his signing in the next few days. Very disappointing to see him go, but unfortunately that is professional rugby for you. I am sure he will give of his best for the remainder of his contract, he seems to be that sort of guy.

If the press have been buzzing with this story for a while I am sure the club were aware and have already taken steps to find a suitable replacement. The reducing salary cap will have an effect on all clubs as the season progresses, and I am sure that many players will be seeking new contracts soon. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an English qualified replacement out there for him, so we may have to look further afield. Its nice to think that we have some development players coming through who may fill the gap, but perhaps not in the short term.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

2 good players leaving is very disappointing but if it’s a choice between keeping our young players and losing these 2 then I can understand the clubs position.
A2O
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:26 am 2 good players leaving is very disappointing but if it’s a choice between keeping our young players and losing these 2 then I can understand the clubs position.
Or it could just be that two home boys have decided that for the next phase of their careers they want to be nearer to home / family / businesses and it’s nothing more than that. George by all account went for less money anyway. Absolutely no evidence of ‘issues behind the scenes’ unless both are bare faced liars which I do not believe they are. It’s professional sport. It’s life. And it’s probably nothing the club could have influence over.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:28 am
ay2oh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:26 am 2 good players leaving is very disappointing but if it’s a choice between keeping our young players and losing these 2 then I can understand the clubs position.
Or it could just be that two home boys have decided that for the next phase of their careers they want to be nearer to home / family / businesses and it’s nothing more than that. George by all account went for less money anyway. Absolutely no evidence of ‘issues behind the scenes’ unless both are bare faced liars which I do not believe they are. It’s professional sport. It’s life. And it’s probably nothing the club could have influence over.
I can see the attraction for both of 'going home', as where I used to live as a lad (edge of Saddleworth) and Bristol (where my aunt lives) both have positive qualities (though it's a damn sight colder all year round in Saddleworth). I think both have been with us through very difficult times, and for that, I thank them. Tigers has lost its ageing myths, all except the hard edge, which has returned. They have been part of that.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Can we all be clear on one thing, Ellis told the club weeks and weeks ago, it is no surprise to SB and the team....... and the plans for the replacement (or not) will be under way if not confirmed.
Less is more....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

northerntiger wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:23 am Thinking about this, and Ford, wondering which is better.
A top class, expensive player who is away Internationally for half the season, or a very good club player, cheaper who is not.
I suspect that with cap reduction, the expensive internationals may find themselves not quite as in demand, or are unable to command the high wages of before
The problem with Ford leaving was that he’d become that rarest of things, a world class player snubbed by his country, so available all year. Still, weather it we must, so weather it we will.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

TBH I'm not really surprised by this. He was always going to go home, I just thought/hoped it would be because he wanted to have the last couple of years playing for his home town club. Doing it now just says money to me.
Which is fine, I've moved jobs for more money. Does just seem abit wierd to be losing players to 'lesser' clubs when we are on the verge of winning things though, or at the very least challenging for trophies. Especially as these player seem to bang on about how good the management/coaches are now.

Oh well....