Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Genge leaving

Post by CJ »

That is awful news. AWFUL!
Haven’t thought any further about it yet.
Tigersunited

Re: Genge leaving

Post by Tigersunited »

The king is dead, long live the king.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

That will be a gap it fill.

A true loss and not easy to fill.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I am utterly shell shocked. This is just awful news, and I can't see how we can replace him. I never saw this one coming, and it has not properly sunk in yet.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

You never saw this coming? Why the heck not? He was asking around for building land in the Bristol area not so long ago. It was only amatter of when, not if, that he would return to his home town. Particularly with a young family.

Much as I would like him to stay, we managed perfectly well without him during the Autumn Internationals. I look forward to watching him for the rest of the season and wish him well.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Calmed down a bit now but it does say family reasons. Is that being used as a reason just to take the heat off? I'd like to think he's a genuine bloke so good luck to him,Englands best LH and a top player. I could understand when we were losing players when in freefall but it's not a good look when we are flying. Problems still at the club? Who knows but it looks weak,makes clubs think they can come and pick our best players off
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

This is not good news, but I wish him well and I will enjoy watching him while he is still a Tiger.

We move on, no one is bigger than the club
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 I don't think it makes us look weak at all. Our players are attractive partly reflecting the team's success this year! I'd be very surprised if in an effort to get below the reduced salary cap, this doesn't happen in several other teams.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:45 pm Calmed down a bit now but it does say family reasons. Is that being used as a reason just to take the heat off? I'd like to think he's a genuine bloke so good luck to him,Englands best LH and a top player. I could understand when we were losing players when in freefall but it's not a good look when we are flying. Problems still at the club? Who knows but it looks weak,makes clubs think they can come and pick our best players off
It's clearly personal reasons given his feedback on the way the club reacted. Cap related too most likely. Besides - as others have said, we coped without him during the autumn AI's.

I just hope its not because we paid over the odds for HP at Fly Half. That's two who've left for the desire of home...just need to keep an eye on the remainder too now though.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I’m with RB on this one in that I think Whitcombe will be the real deal in a couple of years. Perhaps sign a knarly french prop for a season to allow Whitcombe to develop.
A2O
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

So the last 2 who were vocally unhappy with how tigers dealt with them in relation to the pay cuts have left for personal reasons.

I would suggest that the personal reason is that they didn’t like how they were dealt with as the odds of one is ok, the odds of both I don’t believe.

If they were going to clubs that were light years ahead I would accept or even after the next WCup but these are moves relating to money and the family part is what allows them to finalise the decision.
LongsladeTiger

Post by LongsladeTiger »

Nobody should be surprised at this news , has said many times he wants to go home but maybe not Bristol but somewhere else close by ? Exeter or even Bath if Bruce C will pay him enough! With they money we are paying him ,the fact he's a shoe in England starter so not available half the season ,this is not bad as it first seems . Find another one maybe two young props for each side of the scrum for what we are paying EG.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Always liked Genge but as long as he gives his all like Fordy then great. His last two performances, in my humble opinion, haven’t been his best so hopefully he can now help the team to achieve something this season.
Once Cockerill went I always feared Genge might not stay long: most will remember his scathing remarks about no loyalty being shown!
Good luck Genge. Of course he will be away with England a lot!
Hope we beat Bristol in the Christmas fixture.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Knightonian wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:52 pm So the last 2 who were vocally unhappy with how tigers dealt with them in relation to the pay cuts have left for personal reasons.

I would suggest that the personal reason is that they didn’t like how they were dealt with as the odds of one is ok, the odds of both I don’t believe.

If they were going to clubs that were light years ahead I would accept or even after the next WCup but these are moves relating to money and the family part is what allows them to finalise the decision.
How can it be relating to money if Fordy is taking a pay cut?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Loyalty is dead. We'll be onto franchises and draft picks soon!

Says he, having just turned his back on work in Wales for more lucrative engagements in the East Midlands, so he can keep an eye on ageing parents.

Welcome to the annual roller coaster of ins and outs.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"