LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by sk 88 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:21 am Lots of interesting talk in the media following Koch with the Premiership wage cap to £5m/year and cutting back to just one marquee player means most will be busy re-shaping their squads and off-loading high-earners over the next couple of seasons.

We know Ford - Pollard will be a like for like swap in the marquee spot. Problem I see is plenty of players stock has risen the last few seasons.

I imagine many will want to stay given our recent success and coaching set up. I reckon we’ll see TY, Taute and K Van Wyk go. But there will probably be surprises with Leatigaga, Socino and Green possibly going purely because we can’t afford them and being replaced in house with Whitcombe, Chessum and Lancaster.
I wouldn't really bracket those guys together, Leatigaga is an every week player in the 23, Green a regular starter, but much more of a level with our other options, whereas as Socino hardly plays and is a distinct second choice. If Socino gets a better offer then I would fully expect him to take it, it's what his whole career has been.

I find it hard to predict who is out of contract.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:46 pm
fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:41 pm Spiral bomb/Gary Owen is a League thing, isn't it? If so maybe that's one of Sir Kev's things to teach?
Named after an Irish Gaelic football club who invented the tactic I believe
Rugby club but yes, from Munster and still supply players into the pro game e.g. Connor Murray.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Gonna make a stab at this (note this is senior squad only not academy)

Confirmed leaving:
George Ford

Likely leaving:
Jordan Olowafela
Sam Aspland-Robinson
Jaco Taute
Harry Simmons
Kobus Van Wyk
Tom Cowan-Dickie
Tom Youngs (depending on Tiff possibly too)

50:50 leaving
Nephi Leatigaga
Kini Murimurivalu
Calum Green
Matias Moroni
Richard Wigglesworth
Cyle Brink

Possible but unlikely leavers
Joe Heyes
Nemani Nadolo
Tommy Reffell
Harry Wells
Juan Pablo Socino

Think most of the likely ones are self explanitory.

50:50 ones
Leatigaga, likely coming to the end of his contract, will likely attract good French interest Whitcombe, Hurd and Van Wyk likely mean we can replace with a cheaper Tighthead option rather than get cover for both sides.

Kini Murimurivalu, brought in over Veaniu leaving, probably on too much considering how much he plays, think in Hegarty & Burns we have primary cover for him so think we can afford to lose him and replace with a cheaper option.

Green, with Chessum, Synman, & Henderson coming through think they will be prioritised over his renewal, but if cheap enough we may keep him, but I expect him to be dropping down pecking order a bit, especially when Henderson back fit.

Moroni, rumours are we got him as an absolute steal, and with Kelly, Scott and Porter we probably can't justify the expense to pay him the price needed to keep him if this is the season his contract ends.

Wigglesworth if he decides to retire or not

Brink may be the one we let go with our huge depth in the back row. Possibly may be Reffell, would love it if we kept them all

Between the likely leavers and the 50:50 ones we can certainly cut a chunk of cap to make room for bigger wages for some our most promising youngsters....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My take would be
Confirmed leaving:
George Ford

Likely leaving:
Jordan Olowafela
Sam Aspland-Robinson
Jaco Taute
Harry Simmons
Kobus Van Wyk
Tom Youngs (depending on Tiff possibly too)

50:50 leaving
Ellis Genge
Nephi Leatigaga
Kini Murimurivalu
Calum Green
Matias Moroni
Cyle Brink

Possible but unlikely leavers
Nemani Nadolo
Juan Pablo Socino
Richard Wigglesworth
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If RB says 50/50 then it’s as good as done for me,has a very good strike rate. But to lose Ford AND Genge would be disastrous imo ,but why would he go? I just can’t see why
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

50/50 is just that. Wouldn't say as good as done at all.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Re Genge - he is coming to the end of his contract with us, he is pretty much top of his game, he has been here for a good few seasons now, he might get a wedge more money elsewhere - France/Japan. So a number of reasons for us to ‘worry’ about him being off.

That said, there are equally as many reasons he will want to stay - club captain, seems to like Borthwick, young family, England career looks fairly solid, Tigers doing well with good chance of winning some silverware within the next few seasons.

It seems to me that Borthwick gets what he wants more often than not and I imagine he wants Genge to stay especially losing Ford. Rather than a 50/50, I’ll give an optimistic 60/40 in favour of him staying.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

From the possible leavers, would love to keep Genge, Moroni and Brink. If that means sadly the other three have to leave to accommodate them then hopefully that’s the choice that’s made.

Obviously in an ideal world we’d want to keep everyone. But with the cap reducing there’s no chance that happens.
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Genge to stay until World Cup -possible extension to contract then see what options are would be my guess.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RichieB wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:16 pm Re Genge - he is coming to the end of his contract with us, he is pretty much top of his game, he has been here for a good few seasons now, he might get a wedge more money elsewhere - France/Japan. So a number of reasons for us to ‘worry’ about him being off.
No chance on either. I don't think he'd move his young family out of the UK and also whilst being picked for England the appearance fees beef up his salary substantially. It would mean for like for like a Japan or French club would have to paying £25k (I think is the match fee for England players) on top of what we are for every game he couldn't play for England and that gets expensive quickly.

Another Prem team offering him more and maybe closer to Bristol might be more tempting.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

But would that mean Genge would likely take up a marquee spot if he moved to another Prem club? They are going to be in short supply soon.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Didn't he say he would go back to Bristol at the end of his career? Did he mean the team though or the area? I can sort of understand Ford leaving even though I don't like it but I just can't see any reason why Genge would leave us. It's a real head scratcher what I'm struggling with
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RichieB wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:05 pm But would that mean Genge would likely take up a marquee spot if he moved to another Prem club? They are going to be in short supply soon.
he Can't take a marquee spot
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:30 pm From the possible leavers, would love to keep Genge, Moroni and Brink. If that means sadly the other three have to leave to accommodate them then hopefully that’s the choice that’s made.

Obviously in an ideal world we’d want to keep everyone. But with the cap reducing there’s no chance that happens.
Brink has been injured more often than he has played. Came with a lot of hype but has been underwhelming compared to Wiese who came virtually unkown.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sapajo wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:28 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:30 pm From the possible leavers, would love to keep Genge, Moroni and Brink. If that means sadly the other three have to leave to accommodate them then hopefully that’s the choice that’s made.

Brink has been injured more often than he has played. Came with a lot of hype but has been underwhelming compared to Wiese who came virtually unkown.
Granted he’s had his injury concerns. But when fit I’ve really rated him and can cover 6,7,8. Given his limited gametime I’d imagine his salary would reflect that so would hope there’s a spot for him.