Bordeaux away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Bordeaux away

Post by soggytiger »

Agree that there looks to be a rest period for England players, will share RB concerns if Genge not rested for next game as think it is just sensible rotation of a squad. And old school pragmatism of send a rotated but competitive team away and rest others for home games. Safe trip to all going and hoping for a good result!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm Bordeaux-Bègles: 15 Nans Ducuing, 14 Federico Mori, 13 Jean-Baptiste Dubié, 12 Yoram Falatea-Moefana, 11 Ben Lam, 10 Francois Trinh-Duc, 9 Maxime Lucu; 1 Jefferson Poirot (c), 2 Clement Maynadier, 3 Ben Tameifuna, 4 Kane Douglas, 5 Thomas Jolmes, 6 Cameron Woki, 7 Bastien Vergnes, 8 Louis Picamoles
Replacements: 16 Joseph Dweba, 17 Thierry Paiva, 18 Lekso Kaulashvili, 19 Alban Roussel, 20 Alexandre Roumat, 21 Yann Lesgourgues, 22 Ulupano Seuteni, 23 Santiago Cordero

Doesn't mean much to me as I'm not an expert on BB.. any thoughts?
Nor much to me, either, as there are a lot of names I don’t know, but we’d be foolish to underestimate a club who are currently first in the Top14. I’m heading to Bordeaux tomorrow morning - just under three hours away and back Sunday afternoon. Really looking forward to it!
Last edited by Robespierre on Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

A very good squad, away to the top team in France, big ask, but they are more than capable of getting a result.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Feeling very chilled about this game.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:24 pm Feeling very chilled about this game.
That's cool! :smt004
Semper in excretia
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

This time last year I would dreamt of a starting XV (23-I don’t know that in Roman Numerals 🤣) so to have this group out can only be positive
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

With England duty and isolation Genge hasn’t played much lately and looked rusty against Quins & he always seems better when playing regularly rather than England cameos.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:08 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm Bordeaux-Bègles: 15 Nans Ducuing, 14 Federico Mori, 13 Jean-Baptiste Dubié, 12 Yoram Falatea-Moefana, 11 Ben Lam, 10 Francois Trinh-Duc, 9 Maxime Lucu; 1 Jefferson Poirot (c), 2 Clement Maynadier, 3 Ben Tameifuna, 4 Kane Douglas, 5 Thomas Jolmes, 6 Cameron Woki, 7 Bastien Vergnes, 8 Louis Picamoles
Replacements: 16 Joseph Dweba, 17 Thierry Paiva, 18 Lekso Kaulashvili, 19 Alban Roussel, 20 Alexandre Roumat, 21 Yann Lesgourgues, 22 Ulupano Seuteni, 23 Santiago Cordero

Doesn't mean much to me as I'm not an expert on BB.. any thoughts?
Nor much to me, either, as there are a lot of names I don’t know, but we’d be foolish to underestimate a club who are currently first in the Top14. I’m heading to Bordeaux tomorrow morning - just under three hours away and back Sunday afternoon. Really looking forward to it!
They certainly aren't depleted but not 100% either. Guido Petti and Jalibert in particular played against Toulouse last week (Bordeaux won to leapfrog them into 1st place) but are absent here.

Second row has some depletion. Petti (often used at flanker but with other injuries I'd guess would have been lock this game), Jandre Marais (excellent for them last season) and Cyril Cazeaux (not that well known but very reliable) all absent. Jolmes only started 3 games in 21 apps for them last season though he has been more prevalent this year. Roussell on the bench is in his first Top 14 season having joined from Perpignan in Pro D2. So not their strongest at lock.

At flanker they are missing a mainstay in Mahamadou Diaby.

If this were a final Romain Buros would likely be at fullback ahead of Ducuing (also a good player though that often sees Buros used on the wing). The exceptional Cordero is on the bench too so clear rotation in the back three. Mori is a powerful and exciting young winger to watch out for though.

Maxime Lucu and Yann Lesgourgues are very good 9s who if not for Frances strength there might be better known.

Jalibert is a massive absentee. Trinh-Duc is a very experienced replacement but at 35 isn't quite the player he once was. Jalibert on the other hand isn't perfect but is capable of absolute magic.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Genge needs some game time.
Many absentees have earned a rest and many of the starters have earned the right to experience top flight European rugby.

Personally don’t care much about this competition, at this point, anyway. I do want to see how some of the less experienced guys fare though.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

With BB above R92 in their league I don't know what to expect tomorrow, especially the way R92 are currently walking through Saints.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Me neither but I hope we have more nous and we do not panic as Saints have done from the start
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think we are better to set up to face French clubs than Saints are.

I agree with others that Genge is at his best when playing regularly so needs the game time. He always seems to go off the boil slightly after being sat on the England bench for a month or two - must be very frustrating for him.

Seems like SB is prioritising the home games and giving some of the youngsters and fringe players the opportunity to experience an away game in France, which can only be a good learning experience for them in this environment. It's a really good mix of experience and youth, each youngster has a mentor alongside him for guidance - Genge/Heyes, Ford/JvP, Chessum/Green, Martin/Reffell/Wiese, Scott/Porter... there's no combination that is all youth, and that is exactly the right way to do it IMO.

I'm not expecting a win, but I think we will have a few impressive individual performances (aside form the obvious Genge/Ford etc my money is on Chessum and Martin to shine while Heyes, Porter and JvP might struggle a bit in comparison) and a strong team display in a respectable defeat. This group are definitely capable of an upset though...
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Like you I'll accept an honourable defeat but won't stop backing the boys (and the brewery :smt030)
COYT
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I confess I was surprised by some of the selections but if anyone needs a rest it's Montoya Youngs and Steward. I doubt any player has put in more shifts over the last few months than Montoya, he seems to play almost every minute of every game. Just hope Nadolo isn't injured as he has hardly played in the last month.
moorsman1
Tiger Cub

Post by moorsman1 »

How much does it cost to watch Harry Potter play his favourite sport?
A quid each.