Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Post by johnthegriff »

Reffing a game is a tough job, to do it in front of 26,000 and many more watching on television 99.9% of whom have no reffing qualifications and many have never even played the game yet they know better than you a feel they are qualified to voice their opinion. I was at the game and felt Mr Tempest was wrong on both the Steward hand on head and the Weise yellow card, I have since watched the match on tv and changed my opinion, however I do still believe him to be wrong in his "tolerant" view of Marler's activity at maul and ruck times and the touch judge that claimed Potter was offside following Stewards kick and chase yet failed to see Lynagh's blatant offside following Dombrants kick was also very wrong.
I expect that there are incidents that Quins fans feel went against them as well but who cares we won!
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

TigerReggie wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:42 pm Does he even need to aim at the posts? If he kicks it into the crumbie....?
You have to make a genuine attempt at the posts.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!

I was at the game and have also watched the tv showing and for me Tempest didn't have one of his better games but neither did we or Quins. It is a difficult and technical game and mistakes are made both in the playing and officiating. The latter is a tough job, particularly as the high end players are very good at pushing at the boundaries and getting in the officials minds. In the end it was an enthralling game with some great and enjoyable rugby moments. It could have gone either way be in the end the boys brought home the bacon :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Most people can accept close calls not going their way but it is the blatantly obvious mistakes and inconsistency from game to game that winds you up. Freddie Steward was 100% tackled round the head in the act of scoring. Yellow card and penalty try all day long.
A2O
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm Most people can accept close calls not going their way but it is the blatantly obvious mistakes and inconsistency from game to game that winds you up. Freddie Steward was 100% tackled round the head in the act of scoring. Yellow card and penalty try all day long.
The TMO was silent as per
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:39 pm
ay2oh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm Most people can accept close calls not going their way but it is the blatantly obvious mistakes and inconsistency from game to game that winds you up. Freddie Steward was 100% tackled round the head in the act of scoring. Yellow card and penalty try all day long.
The TMO was silent as per
ref had already said during the replay that he wasn't interested in it, "Tempo" had clearly made up his mind about certain incidents before he saw them and we saw with Wiese what he thinks of the TMO's opinion
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It worries me somewhat that the referees are in "teams". Teams are often seen as an unalloyed 'good thing' but often can produce more problems as everyone gets used to each other, leading to assumptions that are unjustified. Had any of you been unfortunate enough to sit through a lecture of mine you would have heard about 'Going to Abilene', 'Apollo syndrome', 'Group think' and all the other stuff that can make teams poor decision makers. Reviews will certainly help to stop them being too cosy but I would prefer to see them mixed up. That would help to keep standards consistent.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I believe the 'team' approach was covid related aimed at minimising risk
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Noggs wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:01 pm I believe the 'team' approach was covid related aimed at minimising risk
So - temporary?
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

In all 'teams' there is an alpha male, who normally dominates decision making.
Easier to go with the flow, but in Premier Rugby, these decision group referees need to be changed weekly.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:42 pm It worries me somewhat that the referees are in "teams". Teams are often seen as an unalloyed 'good thing' but often can produce more problems as everyone gets used to each other, leading to assumptions that are unjustified. Had any of you been unfortunate enough to sit through a lecture of mine you would have heard about 'Going to Abilene', 'Apollo syndrome', 'Group think' and all the other stuff that can make teams poor decision makers. Reviews will certainly help to stop them being too cosy but I would prefer to see them mixed up. That would help to keep standards consistent.
You make a fair point. I think the risk in rugby is more likely Abilene than Apollo, given the asymmetry of power between referee and TMO! There are ways of mitigating this risk, though. A lot is to do with the way in the more powerful voice allows others to voice a contrary perspective - and when I listen to commentaries I am usually impressed with the way referees do this. They listen carefully to TMO and touch judges, then make their decision (explaining to their team as well as players the reasons why).

On balance I think teams are beneficial because they allow trust/respect to develop - but not sure how long they stay in a team. Rotation would be ideal - maybe do a block of 3-4 matches then mix it up.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Quote: " Rotation would be ideal - maybe do a block of 3-4 matches then mix it up.

I'd go with that
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:25 pm Here comes the usual Quins comeback.

We’ve been a bit wasteful in the red zone today which might end up being the difference
A bit too much of the same, bish bosh crash ball over and over again, we needed to try more to work the overlap, Quins defence of the bish was very good so we needed a change of tactics at the time.

No complaints about eventual result but how do we lose a lineout when the clock was on zero?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:08 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:24 pm In what was a very tight game I just remembered that Dombrandt collided with Tempo early on when he looked almost certain to score.. there was a fairly sizeable hole and were it not for a strategically placed referee it could have been a different result. That said we definitely deserved the win but I reckon the Quins fans will have a few gripes about the officials too
Great Tigers performance, some big performances from some lads. Took the a couple of harsh calls against us out of the game and got the result which we wouldn't have done last season.
I guess that’s the thing. The officiating hasn’t changed and is as bizarre at times as last season but what has changed is we have found a way to win these tight encounters despite the questionable calls.

Hodnett’s Hall of Horrors:

Ball thrown into Moroni’s outstretched hand from very close by, no time to react, suggests a yellow card for deliberate knock on. (Last season vs Bristol)

Leg lift on Cole in the maul followed by drop to the floor, nothing given!

Hand on Stewards head shepherding him into touch preventing a try, nothing given!

I’m just glad we have found a way to win these games now so these decisions don’t become the deciding factor!
I think we should remember, the TMO, rightly or wrongly, refers these incidents to the ref, he then makes the final call.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:58 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:08 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 pm

Great Tigers performance, some big performances from some lads. Took the a couple of harsh calls against us out of the game and got the result which we wouldn't have done last season.
I guess that’s the thing. The officiating hasn’t changed and is as bizarre at times as last season but what has changed is we have found a way to win these tight encounters despite the questionable calls.

Hodnett’s Hall of Horrors:

Ball thrown into Moroni’s outstretched hand from very close by, no time to react, suggests a yellow card for deliberate knock on. (Last season vs Bristol)

Leg lift on Cole in the maul followed by drop to the floor, nothing given!

Hand on Stewards head shepherding him into touch preventing a try, nothing given!

I’m just glad we have found a way to win these games now so these decisions don’t become the deciding factor!
I think we should remember, the TMO, rightly or wrongly, refers these incidents to the ref, he then makes the final call.
That’s correct. But in the Moroni and Cole incidents she had a strange version of events. Cole for example the referee asked her to look at it.. Cole is in the maul, gets his leg lifted and then dropped on the floor.. she says to the referee.. nothing in it, he has his leg lifted but is put back down.. completely misinforming the referee so nothing got given.

The Steward incident is like you say, the referee had made his mind up so to be fair that’s not really down to her.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!