OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:25 am Half term report
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... on-6183827
Impressive defensive stats in particular:

Across their opening eight rounds of Gallagher Premiership action, Tigers on average have conceded just 17 points per game - the lowest of any team.

Delve a little deeper and you’ll find that they have only conceded six tries in four home games, while on the road, four tries were shipped at both Gloucester and Northampton Saints but Worcester Warriors and London Irish could only muster one home try between them when Borthwick’s side came to town.

The defensive grit, organisation and desire - even when down to 14 or even 13 men - has been one of the most improved areas this season and has enabled them to ride out of periods when they're under pressure. There's a huge buy-in from players, including those paid predominately to score tries; Nemani Nadolo and Harry Potter - who week after week weigh in with key defensive interventions..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Thanks for the post. An interesting piece. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So 9 rounds played and we are averaging 31 points scored and 16 points conceded per game. An average score of 31-16 is incredible going given we have played Exeter, Quins, Saracens, Sale and Saints! We are also averaging 3.6 tries per game and conceding on average 1.8 tries per game. We have the best defensive record in the league so far.

Last season we averaged 2.3 tries per game and conceded 2.8 so a considerable improvement in both attack and defense (although COVID had an impact on these stats).

In 2019/20 we scored an average of 1.6 tries per game and conceded 3.6.
In 2018/19 we scored an average of 2.1 tries per game and conceded 3.7.

Compare that to an average of 3.6 tries per game and conceded 1.8 this season thus far!

It is pretty clear to see the impact Sinfield has had on our defense and he and Borthwick (along with all of the coaching setup) should be praised for the incredible turnaround we have seen in a relatively short space of time.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Great stats but I’m definitely worried about 2023! Let’s hope Baxter fancies it this time around!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:52 pm Great stats but I’m definitely worried about 2023! Let’s hope Baxter fancies it this time around!
Why so? Because we are losing Ford or because other teams will come good?

Either way I am not worried. Hopefully we will have Pollard (or Lozowski) and both would do a fantastic job. Our squad, with the exception of a few additions and leavers will have had a full season of rugby to gel and will only get stronger. Youngster wise, JvP, Kelly, Steward and Chessum have all got some great game time so far and have all impressed. We could do with replacing Cole at some stage but otherwise we are in reasonable shape in the front row (need to hang on to Ellis) and well stocked at hooker and in the back row. Lock pairing and centre pairings are starting to develop and Wells, Green, Snyman, Henderson, Martin and Chessum should be plenty of strength in depth at lock and Kelly, Scott, Moroni are giving SB some difficult decisions in the centre. Saumaki could be a quality option on the wing and we look well stocked in the half back department (assuming a Ford replacement comes in).

Bristol and Sale will come good eventually, Exeter look to be on the comeback trail and Sarries, Saints and Quins all look to be a threat but I think we will be up there once again next season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:52 pm Great stats but I’m definitely worried about 2023! Let’s hope Baxter fancies it this time around!

Either way I am not worried. Hopefully we will have Pollard (or Lozowski) and both would do a fantastic job. Our squad, with the exception of a few additions and leavers will have had a full season of rugby to gel and will only get stronger. Youngster wise, JvP, Kelly, Steward and Chessum have all got some great game time so far and have all impressed. We could do with replacing Cole at some stage but otherwise we are well stocked at hooker and in the back row. Lock pairing and centre pairings are starting to develop and Wells, Green, Snyman, Henderson, Martin and Chessum should be plenty of strength in depth at lock and Kelly, Scott, Moroni are giving SB some difficult decisions in the centre. Saumaki could be a quality option on the wing and we look well stocked in the half back department (assuming a Ford replacement comes in).

Bristol and Sale will come good eventually, Exeter look to be on the comeback trail and Sarries, Saints and Quins all look to be a threat but I think we will be up there once again next season.
I’m talking about Borths taking the England job after Eddie mate and taking the whole coaching team with him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:03 pm

Either way I am not worried. Hopefully we will have Pollard (or Lozowski) and both would do a fantastic job. Our squad, with the exception of a few additions and leavers will have had a full season of rugby to gel and will only get stronger. Youngster wise, JvP, Kelly, Steward and Chessum have all got some great game time so far and have all impressed. We could do with replacing Cole at some stage but otherwise we are well stocked at hooker and in the back row. Lock pairing and centre pairings are starting to develop and Wells, Green, Snyman, Henderson, Martin and Chessum should be plenty of strength in depth at lock and Kelly, Scott, Moroni are giving SB some difficult decisions in the centre. Saumaki could be a quality option on the wing and we look well stocked in the half back department (assuming a Ford replacement comes in).

I’m talking about Borths taking the England job after Eddie mate and taking the whole coaching team with him!
Oh I see.. well yes there is that! But let's hope that doesn't happen!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:05 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:03 pm

Oh I see.. well yes there is that! But let's hope that doesn't happen!
Should’ve explained myself better really and we can’t worry about things that could happen. If he does get it than that means we’ve had a couple of incredible seasons under him!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Progress still continuing, one more league win to see us unbeaten for this year is quite astonishing, I still think Europe is a side show this season, consolidate what we have in the domestic league, then go for winning the Cup next year, however if we do get through this year I won't say no lol.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I've just been watching "Rugby Tonight" 24hrs late on BT. L Dallaglio has just spent 5 minutes praising Tigers. I'm off for a lie down.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Article in today's Times quoting Ellis Genge headlined "Borthwick is inspiring us". In part it reads: "He's got his morals and stuff, which we all really respect, but he's just one of the hardest workers I've met. ... I respect the bloke so much for the stuff he does behind the scenes and he never wants any plaudits for it"

First rate! IBWT
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:06 am Article in today's Times quoting Ellis Genge headlined "Borthwick is inspiring us". In part it reads: "He's got his morals and stuff, which we all really respect, but he's just one of the hardest workers I've met. ... I respect the bloke so much for the stuff he does behind the scenes and he never wants any plaudits for it"

First rate! IBWT
Great article. Let’s hope Ellis is inspired enough to sign a new contract and stay with us
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So many people deserve credit for the rapid turnaround but the trio of Borthwick, Sinfield and Walters have been phenomenal and the evidence is there for all to see.. absolutely fantastic job
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigers so far this season:

13 from 13 this season, 14 wins in a row streak overall.

2 wins from 2 in the Champions Cup and top equal of Pool B.

2 wins from 2 in the PRC and top of pool 2.

9 wins from 9 in the Premiership and out clear at the top.

Tries for - 32 5th overall
Tries against - 16 1st overall
TBP 5 out of 9 games played

Top of all 3 competitions we are in (albeit top equal and technically 3rd on points difference in Europe)
Best defense in the Premiership and attack is looking much better.

Whichever side SB selects seems to step up and get the job done. Fantastic strength in depth and a Happy Christmas all round
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:28 pm Tigers so far this season:

13 from 13 this season, 14 wins in a row streak overall.

2 wins from 2 in the Champions Cup and top equal of Pool B.

2 wins from 2 in the PRC and top of pool 2.

9 wins from 9 in the Premiership and out clear at the top.

TF 32 - 5th overall
TA - 16 1st overall
TBP 5 out of 9 games played

Top of all 3 competitions we are in (albeit top equal and technically 3rd on points difference in Europe)
Best defense in the Premiership and attack is looking much better.

Whichever side SB selects seems to step up and get the job done. Fantastic strength in depth and a Happy Christmas all round
Happy Christmas to you and yours, and all!