Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

fentiger wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:50 pm We kicked to Green in a specific way to get him man and ball, worked more times than not 👍
Agreed.. a good tactic that kept him largely out of the game. Quins had scored 35 tries in 8 games averaging 4.4 tries per match and apart from a moment of individual brilliance we shut them out. The tactic with Green I think worked very well as the kick and chase was largely spot on
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

A great win, beating a top notch team and a bunch of clown officials!!

B Youngs MOTM for me, was outstanding, dominated Care, thought not having JVP on the bench didn’t help as Wiggs was just flat when he came on, Kelly, Steward, Chessum we’re outstanding, i hope the berg is ok, great shift from Van Standen and Wiese, yellow card was a joke!! We look like a powerful super well constructed team, just bizzare how things have evolved from last season, SB is and his staff are clearly exceptional!!
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:35 pm A great win, beating a top notch team and a bunch of clown officials!!

B Youngs MOTM for me, was outstanding, dominated Care, thought not having JVP on the bench didn’t help as Wiggs was just flat when he came on, Kelly, Steward, Chessum we’re outstanding, i hope the berg is ok, great shift from Van Standen and Wiese, yellow card was a joke!! We look like a powerful super well constructed team, just bizzare how things have evolved from last season, SB is and his staff are clearly exceptional!!
My thoughts exactly. BY definitely MotM. I’d add that Kelly had a fantastic shift.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How was the Ford v Smith battle?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:59 pm How was the Ford v Smith battle?
I preferred the Smith / Kelly Battle!
The Smith / Youngs battle wasn't bad either.

😄😄😄
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:35 pmWiese, yellow card was a joke!!
Absolutely agree, it was almost like Tempest was falling over himself to give the card, maybe to even up the numbers so soon after Quins went a man down....

At least we'll see all no arms tackles given yellow cards now....won't we?

Penalty only, as TMO advised, IMO.

Juts glad it didn't affect the overall result.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:59 pm How was the Ford v Smith battle?
Ford edged it for sure but Smith seems to be more of a fair weather player.. the commentators said that when Quins won the league last season, apparently they didn't play a single match in the rain! Crazy to think with the British weather but Quins definitely seem to play better on the nicer days, suits their style of play more.. that said come June I'm guessing the sun will be shining so will be a different type of game should we meet them in the final
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:06 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:35 pmWiese, yellow card was a joke!!
Absolutely agree, it was almost like Tempest was falling over himself to give the card, maybe to even up the numbers so soon after Quins went a man down....

At least we'll see all no arms tackles given yellow cards now....won't we?

Penalty only, as TMO advised, IMO.

Juts glad it didn't affect the overall result.
And apparently you can grab a player by the head and pull them towards the touchline to stop them scoring a try now too.. it's not a tackle just a hand on the head according to Tempo.. you learn something new every day! :smt002
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Result was never in doubt, I had my lucky shirt on....................... :smt026
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Just got home. Wow, what a match! Wine being consumed in probably greater quantities than is good for me.

Not counting chickens and all that but Twickenham in June beckons - how wonderful is that?!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

[ulist=][/ulist]
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:16 pm Result was never in doubt, I had my lucky shirt on....................... :smt026
Me too
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

In what was a very tight game I just remembered that Dombrandt collided with Tempo early on when he looked almost certain to score.. there was a fairly sizeable hole and were it not for a strategically placed referee it could have been a different result. That said we definitely deserved the win but I reckon the Quins fans will have a few gripes about the officials too
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:24 pm there was a fairly sizeable hole and were it not for a strategically placed referee it could have been a different result.
Haven't watched it back again yet but at time, as the commentators said, without that collision maybe Montoya or Genge get to him.

Correct call. Can understand some Quins frustration maybe, would probably think same if team in possession reversed.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Watching from behind the posts as usual, I too thought Ben Youngs was back to his best. Smith on the whole was very good ( despite being swatted away by a superb Youngs’ snipe.Though Ford didn’t start well he went on to really put in a great effort, tackling well and kicking well.
Both packs fronted up and both defences were excellent.
The difference in the end was the great discipline in the last 10 minutes, although with time up our last line out was a shambles but luckily Quins messed their last one up too after we did let our discipline slip!
In all we weren’t at our best but the incredible spirit from the whole squad got us over the line.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

There were some odd reffing decisions.
Clare Hobnet is the TMO that said Cole having his leg lifted in the maul was OK as he was put down carefully - wrong, cannot lift leg in maul.
In this game it is the hand on head vs high tackle. The player hitting the herd moved Freddie towards the touch line. Without his intervention it is a try so penalty try.
Marler was dropping people out of the maul when Tigers were defending it. He did it repeatedly three times in the same maul in front of Tempo. You are not allowed to pull players out of a maul. No reaction from the officiating team. I thought Genge looked like he was rolling in at the scrums but he certainly thought there was something else going on.
Tigers deserved the win but Quins showed themselves to be a more rounded outfit than they have been credited with being.