Re-Branding a Possibility For Exeter?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re-Branding a Possibility For Exeter?

Post by kk20gb30 »

Despite a somewhat non-committal club statement (see below , Club Statement) , it does seem as though Exeter are set to Re-brand - see second link:

https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/exe ... -statement

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4739314
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Re-Branding a Possibility For Exeter?

Post by Noggs »

Since the matter came to the fore again it has always been a matter of when, not if. Sponsors do not want to be associated with these types of issues as show recently by Yorkshire Cricket. Clearly there was never an intention to offend but equally clearly they have offended native Americans for whom head dress and the use of feathers have sacred meaning not generally understood.

I look forward to learning of the decision with respect to the new name in due course. Presumably the changeover will be over the summer before the start of the next season.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Noggs wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:35 pm Since the matter came to the fore again it has always been a matter of when, not if. Sponsors do not want to be associated with these types of issues as show recently by Yorkshire Cricket. Clearly there was never an intention to offend but equally clearly they have offended native Americans for whom head dress and the use of feathers have sacred meaning not generally understood.

I look forward to learning of the decision with respect to the new name in due course. Presumably the changeover will be over the summer before the start of the next season.
Perhaps they could go all native Exeter and become The Lovers, that being a general term of greeting in Devon. Cornish Pirates could mystify us all and become The Bayvers, and they could even trump the Barbarians (itself a Victorian ruling class appellation), join with Exeter, and send out The Grockles. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Reading a few articles last night, I was not aware of how deep this branding went. Having never been to the ground I was not aware of cowboy themed bars etc. The touted argument that this has been a name used for first teams in rugby clubs for a century down there does not ring so clearly now.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Got to admit the link with Exeter and America First Nation tribes has always confused me.
Now a Celtic Chief I could understand say an image of Caractacus? 👍.

Hang on! I've just had a worrying thought on that "Naked Cider wrecked fans painted in blue woad" Arghh!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Devonians weren't Celts they were mostly Saxons a lot were my ancestors.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Celts are a generic grouping not a nation as we consider today. Don't think Celtic is just Irish, Welsh, Scots/Picts. Check with the Cornish. It was all part of Celtic Briton including Boudicca and her mob. Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England didn't exist.

The Romans were on the scene of Hibernia/Caledonia/Britanian Celts from Aberystwyth to Aberdeen

Who did the Saxons battle with when they turned up centuries later
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:32 pm Devonians weren't Celts they were mostly Saxons a lot were my ancestors.
Correct, PanCeltique includes Cornwall (Kernow) but not Devon
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

True. Cornwall is a comparatively new geographical identity in terms of the nations history.

Why did teachers keep relating current political boundaries with our ancient history. I know the Celts were not into writing and the Romans were but it is 2021 and we now know far more.

The Picts sounded more Welsh as they also did in current Cumbria down to the Mersey. The Scots were an Irish tribe hence the current references to Irish Scots (Gaelic) in Western Scotland inc. the IOM and county-less England would have their tribes and Chiefs!!

PS Caractacus was thought to be around Hertfordshire and accepted as warlord in Wales.

When will the Sasaunachs get it right?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The Atrebates around Brizzle were Belgians as were the Belgae etc. England was a merry-go-round of nationalities. Much better to name the clubs after their local pre Roman tribe!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I've been 100% convinced of rebranding since I saw some potential options for a fresh spin on 'Chiefs'.

https://exchiefs4change.org/drawing-board/

Pivoting to celebrating actual local history is easily the best solution to this.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Leicester Ratae? When I was kid they were Hell's Angel's.
The stone age/bronze age celts all got here via Europe, the Irish didn't just pop out of the ground like a leprechaun. A lot came via Iberia (Catalonia/Brittany). As for the Stone age circles in the Northern Isles, there long before Stonehenge.
Getting the chronology right helps. Big time span between Bronze age and the Saxons/Angles. Celt is/was a culture a bit like Mods and Rockers.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The Celts were not all pushed West, though. Invaders roll over the top, native populations stay.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Over thousands of years man's journey from Africa has taken various routes over a vast number of generations and cultures be it hunter gatherer or farmer.
My line is the title Chief. Historians use the title for the disperate pre-history families/clans.
Saxons, Danes and those that followed were into Kings, Lords etc. (Alfred, Canute).

Pre Roman influenced local family tribeable images certainly fits the bill. Keep the name change the logo. Pre- romano tribes in the south west were Domnonii and Durotriges.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 pm The Celts were not all pushed West, though. Invaders roll over the top, native populations stay.
Celts were mid European, the name was appropriated by Edward Lloyd (Llwyd) to build a myth for Wales 300 years ago. Wales and West were nominally Pritani but even that covered Iberians, Irish, actual Celts and 57 varieties of Western traders. Its a fascinating and evolving story.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95